Early British gas turbine development

I was going to nominate him for senior member status a few weeks ago, but then saw how long ago his last activity was, and came to the same conclusion :(

Hello.

I'm wondering if someone here might be able to help me? I've been researching the RR Derwent engines for some time now, and struggling with some material specifications... I've had various documents copied from the Archives at Kew, and the various materials used to produce the engines are listed within the schedule of spare parts. Unfortunately, a glossary of terms is missing, and whilst many of the acronyms used are self evident, I'm struggling to identify one in particular. A couple of parts are listed as "N.S". Mainly fixings ("screws"), but also some parts of the actual engine itself.

My first thought was that it might refer to Nimonic, but that is abbreviated elsewhere as Nim.

I'm currently leaning towards Nickel Silver (german silver), as the acronym EPNS refers to "Electroplated Nickel Silver".

I guess my question is: would/could the alloy "Nickel Silver" have been used to manufacture engine parts back in the 40s/50s??

It's generally used for tableware, but I do know that RR have made use of it in their car engines/radiators, I guess on account of it's corrosion resistance.

If I'm way off, I wonder if someone here might have a better suggestion for what N.S is referring to, or be able to stear me in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance!

Thank you for the link. I appreciate you taking the time.

I think in this case, it's definitely an abbreviation of the material though.

It's in the "Material Specification" column of the Schedule of Spare Parts.

Some of the other abbreviations are fairly obvious:

M.S. - Mild Steel
St.Stl. - Stainless
Nim - Nimonic

One of the parts listed as N.S has no threading also.

I had assumed it to be Nimonic until I saw that it had it's own abbreviation.

Hello.

I'm wondering if someone here might be able to help me? I've been researching the RR Derwent engines for some time now, and struggling with some material specifications... I've had various documents copied from the Archives at Kew, and the various materials used to produce the engines are listed within the schedule of spare parts. Unfortunately, a glossary of terms is missing, and whilst many of the acronyms used are self evident, I'm struggling to identify one in particular. A couple of parts are listed as "N.S". Mainly fixings ("screws"), but also some parts of the actual engine itself.

My first thought was that it might refer to Nimonic, but that is abbreviated elsewhere as Nim.

I'm currently leaning towards Nickel Silver (german silver), as the acronym EPNS refers to "Electroplated Nickel Silver".

I guess my question is: would/could the alloy "Nickel Silver" have been used to manufacture engine parts back in the 40s/50s??

It's generally used for tableware, but I do know that RR have made use of it in their car engines/radiators, I guess on account of it's corrosion resistance.

If I'm way off, I wonder if someone here might have a better suggestion for what N.S is referring to, or be able to stear me in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance!
I asked Tony Buttler.

'NS might be Notch Sensitive.

Best bet is to contact RRHT. The only engine materials book I have covers just turbine materials - tit, Nimonic and steels.'