ysi_maniac

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
This is an excelent site: http://mainbattletanks.czweb.org/indexeng.htm
In International projects there is an entry on a French-German project called Clovis. Does anyone have any info?

Somewhere at home I have one of those 1990s era Jane's pocket AFV recognition guides, and one features a pic and brief description of the Clovis in the Addendum in the back of the book.

It appeared to be a German Marder MICV chassis equipped with a 2-man turret mounting what looked distinctly like the single-baffel muzzle brake of the 90/46 KEnerga gun.

I'm sure a Jane's Armour & Artillery from that timeframe (early/mid 1990s) would have more info about it...

Best I can do on short notice...

ysi_maniac said:
This is an excelent site: http://mainbattletanks.czweb.org/indexeng.htm
In International projects there is an entry on a French-German project called Clovis.

I'm afraid that the entry in the Czech website contains no information whatsoever.

Piotr

Clovis. This proposal integrates the Schützenpanzer Marder with the FL-20 turret mounting a 105 millimeter cannon. This proposal went dormant in 1988.
http://www.forecastinternational.com/archive/mv/mv10994.htm

My 1992-93 Jane's Armour and Artillery confirms the Forecast International info and says Clovis was described in more detail in the 1987-88 edition (pages 37-38). Not much, but at least that gives you a source to look for.

This is the DF-105, a pretty straight-forward design, combining the Marder 1's hull with the FL-15 turret of late model AMX-13. It was meant to be a tank destroyer. Was it ever produced? If not, why? Also, does anyone have any more information regarding this tank?

1586437835168.png

Jane's Armour and Artillery 1992-93 has a very brief entry:

Marder/Dragon Chassis with FL-15 Turret.

In mid-1983, for trials purposes, the chassis of the Marder/Dragon was fitted with the new French Fives-Cail Babcock FL-105 turret armed with a 105 mm gun. In 1985 a Marder chassis was fitted with the new FL-20 turret. This version never entered production.

It also mentions a Marder 1 with the FL-20 turret also called the Clovis Combat Vehicle. I assume the Clovis was another name for the Marder with FL-20 mentioned above. Details in the 1987-88 edition. It too did not enter production.

Jane's Armour and Artillery 1992-93 has a very brief entry:

Marder/Dragon Chassis with FL-15 Turret.

In mid-1983, for trials purposes, the chassis of the Marder/Dragon was fitted with the new French Fives-Cail Babcock FL-105 turret armed with a 105 mm gun. In 1985 a Marder chassis was fitted with the new FL-20 turret. This version never entered production.

It also mentions a Marder 1 with the FL-20 turret also called the Clovis Combat Vehicle. I assume the Clovis was another name for the Marder with FL-20 mentioned above. Details in the 1987-88 edition. It too did not enter production.

This must be it:
1586451472424.png

Yep, that's the one.

Beware some of the Warthunder-related pages about DF-105. The first hit on Google claims that the vehicle was manufactured in 1979, which would be a good trick since the FL-15 turret didn't exist publicly until 1983.

That's were I got the second picture from, but I didn't go through the site.

Last edited: