DC-4/C-54, DC-6/C-118, DC-7 projects & variants

frank

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
With the recent Skysentry thread, we've seen a couple of variants of the DC-6 & DC-7 (I believe) variants, as well as the B-52 competition's Douglas dark horses jet powered bomber versions of the DC-6. I know there was the DC-4M Merlin powered & the Carvair ferry versions of the DC-4, firebomber versions of the DC-4, -6 & -7, there was a potential proposed gunship version of the C-118 during the Vietnam war era, & how could we dismiss that jet version contraption of a DC-6 or maybe DC-4 used in the movie "Fate is the Hunter" & a bomber version of a DC-4 I read about somewhere in the B-29 competition, which I now believe was a mistake on the bomber version of the DC-4E. So, since these designs seem to be quite adaptable, were there any other designs based on the threesome?

Frank, a few Canadairs from http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3119.0

Built

CL-4 - North Star C-4 and Argonaut (4 x RR Merlin 624s or 724s)
CL-5 - North Star C-5 (4 x P&W R-2800-CA15s)
CL-11 - RCAF type number for North Star C-5 (duplicate designation)

Unbuilt Projects

CL-7 - enlarged C-5 derivative, North Star C-7 (4 x P&W R-2800-CA15s), 1950
CL-35 - North Star turboprop for TCA (4 x 1400 shp RR Dart RD5s), 1953
CL-37 - military transport (4 x P&W R-2800-CA15s), cargo, 76-pax., or 60 litters, 1953

BTW, I believe that the "Fat Lancaster" ASW type you were looking for long ago was the CL-29 of 1952.
[Edit: I was wrong ... the "fat Lancaster" was the CL-33 project of 1953. However, the CL-29 was actually more on topic being a stretched, re-engined North Star maritime patrol project ;D]

In Rene Francilon's Douglas propliners, there is a mention and drawing of a project that consists in a DC-6 fuselage with high aspect moderately swept wings and 4 Nene engines.

Does any of you have info about this aircraft?

ysi_maniac said:
In Rene Francilon's Douglas propliners, there is a mention and drawing of a project that consists in a DC-6 fuselage with high aspect moderately swept wings and 4 Nene engines.

Does any of you have info about this aircraft?

Hi Ysi,

I check from two books about DC-6,but I couldn't find anything,please can you be a specifically more and
determine which DC-6 version,to make easy for helping you ?.

Sorry, there is no name for this project.

Under which conditions could I reproduce here a scan of this drawing?

ysi_maniac said:
Sorry, there is no name for this project.

Under which conditions could I reproduce here a scan of this drawing?

I have anther book about DC-6,but I am in a journey now.

1946-48 saw pitches by Douglas and Lockheed to penetrate W.Europe before any home-builts might emerge, such as from UK's Brabazon Committee. Lockheed had initial advantage by diverting C-69s as L-049 to Air France/BOAC/KLM. Up to 22/4/47 schemes were brewed up for Bristol-licensed Centaurus/, then Theseus/Connies, rejected then by UK Cabinet (no $ available for upfront expenses). Douglas placed DC-6 with SABENA, then explored a French licence through 1948, which was thwarted by Communist politicans and Trades Unions, citing fears of "vassalisation” of the industry”: a Communist ex-Air Minister recalled “French airplane factories were bombed particularly heavily by (UK/US in) the last months of the war. Perhaps now we can better understand why.” 11/48, H.Chapman,State Capitalism&Working Class Radicalism in French A/c Indy.,UCP,1991,Pp.282,301.

By 2/51 Bristol Aero-Engines had licenced SNECMA on (Noratlas) Hercules: what a splendid What-If...if Sud Est had done a Theseus/DC-6 and Bristol Aeroplane, a Theseus/Connie.