• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

DARPA Long Range Anti-ship Missile (LRASM)

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
In addition, both China and South Korea have VLS systems with cells even larger than the US Mk57 cells.

TomS

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
In addition, both China and South Korea have VLS systems with cells even larger than the US Mk57 cells.
Larger than Mk57? Haven't seen those.

sferrin

Reaction score
Larger than Mk57? Haven't seen those.
China's Type 055 cruiser has them. Interior envelope of canister: 33.5 x 33.5 x 354.3
SKs KVLS-II: 29.5 x 29.5 x 309

The South Korean KVLS has larger cells than the Mk41. The KVLS-II larger still.

sferrin

Reaction score
That should probably go in the User Art section, not here. Also, they don't paint them black. That's just the bare carbon.

AkelaFreedom

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Website
www.artstation.com

AkelaFreedom

Reaction score
Website
www.artstation.com
I really do not know why bare carbon is coated, and I ask you about it. I have no information about this.
The AGM-158C test sample is precisely so painted.
And where is the contradiction in my statements? The only photographs of the AGM-158C are in black. Photos from the tests. It is clear that after adoption, they will most likely be standard gray. But in the coloring of the model, I reflected exactly the kind that I see in the photo. I’m not a chemist by education and I don’t know if this is the original color of the plastic from which the body is assembled, or is it some kind of coating (as you say carbon). Well, let's say I didn’t put it right - this is not painting but the application of a carbon coating or this is some form of plastic which includes a carbon coating. My fault maybe. But I still don’t understand how this does not correspond to the appearance of the model that I created and painted in black? What am I missing then?

sferrin

Reaction score
I really do not know why bare carbon is coated, and I ask you about it. I have no information about this.
The AGM-158C test sample is precisely so painted.
And where is the contradiction in my statements? The only photographs of the AGM-158C are in black. Photos from the tests. It is clear that after adoption, they will most likely be standard gray. But in the coloring of the model, I reflected exactly the kind that I see in the photo. I’m not a chemist by education and I don’t know if this is the original color of the plastic from which the body is assembled, or is it some kind of coating (as you say carbon). Well, let's say I didn’t put it right - this is not painting but the application of a carbon coating or this is some form of plastic which includes a carbon coating. My fault maybe. But I still don’t understand how this does not correspond to the appearance of the model that I created and painted in black? What am I missing then?
Basically what you're seeing is the tool surface of the resin matrix. It's translucent so the black of the carbon fiber dominates the color. Also you have stripes colored for a live weapon, which would never be bare. The blue stripe on the weapon in the actual picture signify dummy/training round. IIRC blue for training, yellow for warhead, brown for rocket motor. Not sure what the significance of the white stripes are.

AkelaFreedom

Reaction score
Website
www.artstation.com
Basically what you're seeing is the tool surface of the resin matrix. It's translucent so the black of the carbon fiber dominates the color. Also you have stripes colored for a live weapon, which would never be bare. The blue stripe on the weapon in the actual picture signify dummy/training round. IIRC blue for training, yellow for warhead, brown for rocket motor. Not sure what the significance of the white stripes are.
Thanks for the answer. Yes, I am familiar with the color code of the stripes. But why not assume that a real warhead was installed for testing. Then, after all, according to the rules, a yellow stripe should be applied.

sferrin

Reaction score
Thanks for the answer. Yes, I am familiar with the color code of the stripes. But why not assume that a real warhead was installed for testing. Then, after all, according to the rules, a yellow stripe should be applied.
Because that's not what they do. Yellow stripe is painted. Blue stripe is training with no warhead.

Not sure what the hell is going on here:

LRASM-set-to-Achieve-EOC-with-U_S_-Navy’s-FA-18EF-Super-Hornet-3.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

AkelaFreedom

Reaction score
Website
www.artstation.com
Because that's not what they do. Yellow stripe is painted. Blue stripe is training with no warhead.

Not sure what the hell is going on here:

View attachment 621830
All is correct. According to MIL-STD-709C, Brown means - "Identifies low explosive items or components or indicates the presence of a low explosive; such rocket propellant." In our case, this is the presence of rocket propellant. The fact that this test without a warhead tells us the first blue line. But why there is no brown strip on the AGM-158A / B is another question.

sferrin

Reaction score
Blue stripe no warhead, brown stripe jet fuel.

Capture22.jpg

sferrin

Reaction score
Apparently it's associated with "naval shells" (so probably some sort of insensitive explosive). Where'd you come across that picture?

sferrin

Reaction score
Edwards AFB site. Hmm

"“The missile navigated through all planned waypoints, transitioned to mid-course guidance and flew toward the moving maritime target using inputs from the onboard multimodal sensor,” read a release from the company.
“The missile then descended to low altitude for final approach to target area, positively identified and impacted the target.”"

sferrin

Reaction score
A shame they decided to ditch the VLS application. :(