CX-HLS (Cargo Experimental, Heavy Logistic Support) designs & derivatives

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
Giants of the Sky by Bill Gunston
ISBN 1-85260-258-9

LOCKHEED MARTIN C-5 GALAXY: WarbirdTech 36

In 1960 the USAF launched Project Forecast which called for the world's biggest logistic transport, the CX-4, in the 600,000 lb category. It should be a jet. The only study I know comes from Douglas but I have no details about its Model Number. I guess that Boeing and Lockheed carried out its own designs.

With all the data generated under CX-4 study, the USAF launched an specification for a CX-HLS aircraft. The winner was Lockheed (C-5 Galaxy)

Douglas submitted several designs: Model D-890, D-895, D-900. According to "Giants of the Sky", the definitive design was D-916 while D-920 was the submission for the Wardbirdtech volume.

I have included to this post the D-920.

The last scan is Boeing C-5A from Giants of the Sky. Anybody knows Boeing's model number for it?

Attachments

• Douglas CX-4.jpg
    Douglas CX-4.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 2,865
  • Douglas D-920.jpg
    Douglas D-920.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 2,520
  • Boeing CX-HLS.jpg
    Boeing CX-HLS.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 2,687
pometablava said:
Douglas submitted several designs: Model D-890, D-895, D-900. According to "Giants of the Sky", the definitive design was D-916 while D-920 was the submission for the Wardbirdtech volume.

Here is the D906 from "McDonnell Douglas Aircraft Since..."

Attachments

• DouglasD906.GIF
    DouglasD906.GIF
    46.7 KB · Views: 3,283
Any one who haves the Boeing modelnumber of
the Boeing CX-HLS design ?

Thanks.

pometablava said:
In 1960 the USAF launched Project Forecast which called for the world's biggest logistic transport, the CX-4, in the 600,000 lb category. It should be a jet. The only study I know comes from Douglas but I have no details about its Model Number. I guess that Boeing and Lockheed carried out its own designs.

Are you sure about that? The CX-4 was to have 6 engines and these were low-bypass, similar to Starlifter. Lots of paper-design was made by the big three. CX-4 was discarded and CX-HLS was born with all designs of Douglas, Boeing and Lockheed similar in shape. Lockheed was chosen due to price. Boeings design used a little bit more edge-technology.
However, the pictures you have posted look more like Douglas' proposal for CX-HLS.

Schorsch

This is taken directly from Bill Gunston's "Giants of the Sky":
In 1960 the USAF launched Project Forecast which called for the world's biggest logistic transport, the CX-4, in the 600,000 lb category. It should be a jet

And the pic I posted as "Douglas CX-4" came form an old magazine where it is identified as Douglas CX-4. I'll try to identify the magazine identity and get more info.

Nevertheless the aircraft in the pic has 6 engines and look similar to that on the C-141....so it match your description about the CX-4 study. ???

Schorsch said:
This is the Lockheed proposal for the CX-4.

What was the "STF 200C" engine? Was this some sort of re-fanned variant of an existing engine?

What was the "STF 200C" engine? Was this some sort of re-fanned variant of an existing engine?
The STF200 was one of Pratt & Whitney's early demonstrators for a high-bypass ratio turbofan engine. It had a bypass ratio around 2 which is good considering that first generation of turbofan engines only had bypass ratios of around 1.2-1-4. Unfortunately for PW, though, GE made a breakthrough that gave its' TF39 a bypass ratio of 8 and a better fuel burn despite improvements to the STF200 that got its BPR up to around 3-3.5.

The Douglas CX-4 which Pometablava put in this file came from :
FLIGHT Internatonal 28 November 1963 - page 853

Caption reads as follow : Douglas Proposal for the USAF CX-4 study
for a large logistics cargo transport (see " USAF Global Freighter"
column 1 )

Sentinel Chicken said:
The STF200 was one of Pratt & Whitney's early demonstrators for a high-bypass ratio turbofan engine. It had a bypass ratio around 2 which is good considering that first generation of turbofan engines only had bypass ratios of around 1.2-1-4. Unfortunately for PW, though, GE made a breakthrough that gave its' TF39 a bypass ratio of 8 and a better fuel burn despite improvements to the STF200 that got its BPR up to around 3-3.5.

I wonder if the STF200 was an all-new design or similar in concept to the far later refanned JT8D-200 series?

It is noteworthy that Rolls-Royce was promoting a refanned Medway in this era as well - the 22,000lb st RB177-2.

The great irony is that it took longer than expected for high bypass ratio turbofans to dominate the commercial airliner market.

Does anyone have any information, drawings and specifications for Martin Marietta and General Dynamics CX-HLS (Cargo, Experimental-Heavy Logistics System), that would later be won by Lockheed with its Model 500, that would become famous as the C-5 Calaxy.

Regards
Pioneer

"Der Flieger" issue 1/1965 (page 7) printed this artist's impression as Boeing CX proposal.

Attachments

• Boeing CX proposal.jpg
    Boeing CX proposal.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 846
This Lockheed proposal of a cargo plane for the Military Air Transport Service of the USAF was released in "Der Flieger" number 1/1966 (page 7). Mistakenly the author of the caption described the aircraft as a future space ??? transport aircraft, but I hope he didn't make a mistake regarding Lockheed as the home of this design.

Any idea about the background of this layout (model number etc.)?

Attachments

• Lockheed cargo plane.jpg
    Lockheed cargo plane.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 950
boxkite said:
This Lockheed proposal of a cargo plane for the Military Air Transport Service of the USAF was released in "Der Flieger" number 1/1966 (page 7). Mistakenly the author of the caption described the aircraft as a future space ??? transport aircraft, but I hope he didn't make a mistake regarding Lockheed as the home of this design.

Any idea about the background of this layout (model number etc.)?

1. This is indeed a Lockheed design. The big question is whether or not it was a Skunkworks project?

2. By 1966, this design was over 5 years old.

3. This isn't a "space transport," but I also have a hard time believing that the transport of cargo was intended as the primary role in 1961.

1. This proposal dates from 1961, the right date for the SLAB program.

2. The SLAB requirement apparently was for a 500,000lb MTOW aircraft. In my estimation, this drawing depicts a large aircraft.

3. Boxkite, please don't take offense at my renaming of your thread.

Here is a 1961 patent drawing from a perspective similar to the 1966 illustration.

I think I see a cargo door, but it seems to be very small in proportion to the rest of this big airplane.

Attachments

• SLAB.gif
    SLAB.gif
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,143
The funny thing is, this isn't that far off from some of the "lambda-wing" studies that the AIAA Case History of the C-5 shows that Lockheed studied as part of that design evolution. It might be a cargo plane at that.

elmayerle said:
The funny thing is, this isn't that far off from some of the "lambda-wing" studies that the AIAA Case History of the C-5 shows that Lockheed studied as part of that design evolution. It might be a cargo plane at that.

Hmm?

"Lambda-wing?"

Hello! As this is the thread of "secrets and unbuild 747s" I have a question for you.
We all know that the 747 was, at the beginning, a competitor to the C-5 Galaxy (I'll be glad to see douglas entry on this competition... was it something similar to the DC-10 ?)
Well, is there any pic of the 747 at that time (circa 1965 ?)
was it very different from the actual jumbo-jet ?

Thanks in advance!

IIRC, the Boeing C-5 entry looked like a high wing 747. One of Douglas' entries looked similar to the Antonov An-124, IIRC, with 6 engines.

Archibald said:
Hello! As this is the thread of "secrets and unbuild 747s" I have a question for you.
We all know that the 747 was, at the beginning, a competitor to the C-5 Galaxy (I'll be glad to see douglas entry on this competition... was it something similar to the DC-10 ?)
Well, is there any pic of the 747 at that time (circa 1965 ?)
was it very different from the actual jumbo-jet ?

Thanks in advance!

Boeing CX-HLS entry, initially posted by Pometablava
The second ilustration of Boeing CX-HLS is from highly recommended Bill Norton's Lockheed C-5 Galaxy (Warbirdtech series Vol.36)

Attachments

• Boeing_CX-HLS.jpg
    Boeing_CX-HLS.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 1,227
  • Boeing_CX-HLSnorhon.jpg
    Boeing_CX-HLSnorhon.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,328
Sorry, Pioneer, no Martin Marietta or GD CX-HLS proposals, but one by Burnelli. The simple sketch was published on The Burnelli Web Site (www.communique.com/burnelli/ resp. www.hit.fi/~vzvirbly/burnelli/) and labelled May 1964 - ITEL-BURNELLI CONCEPTUAL PROPOSAL CX-HLS LOGISTICS TRANSPORT.

Attachments

• Burnelli (CX-HLS proposal).jpg
    Burnelli (CX-HLS proposal).jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 1,003
Hay thanks Boxkite, for thinking of me!

Yes the Martin Marietta & General Dynamics proposals is a hard one to find.

But the Burnelli design proposal, I have never heard of before!
Great find my friend!

I will try and find more on this design

P.S I had no luck with that web site you posted Boxkite. Did it have any tech data for the proposal ??????

Regards
Pioneer

Sorry, Pioneer, I've only downloaded this (and other) pictures from the website in January 1999. Unfortunately, the link doesn't work in recent days. Does anybody know if the URL changed?

Maybe Jens can find more details while he is digging through his Flying Review treasure ;).

Another Burnelli 1963-64 proposal for a heavy cargo lifter (patent designs)..
And then another, witha cargo and a passenger version...

Attachments

• Burnelli_1964_5.jpg
    Burnelli_1964_5.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 463
  • Burnelli_1964_4.jpg
    Burnelli_1964_4.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 414
  • Burnelli_1964_2.jpg
    Burnelli_1964_2.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 426
  • Burnelli_1964.jpg
    Burnelli_1964.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 616
The 2e illustration from Flying Review depicts the Burnelli CB-7
one of the early fifties designs.(already discussed in the former thread)
Burnelli claimed a speed of 500 mph and it could also
be configured to hold a cargo container of 20ft long,10ft wide
and 7.6 ft high

I found no information about Burnelli contenders for the C-130 and C-5A competition.
nor for the

I found no information about Burnelli contenders for the C-130
Yes Paul, it wasn't from Burnelli directly but from Airlifts Co, which purchased rights on some Burnelli's design. 50's US military cargo competions deserve some FOIAs, but the interest of the general public is low... :( Think of the C-127...

Yes indeed Sky.. , for one or an other reason
the Burnelli's and other 50's cargo plane project
do not arrive on the scene...

Another artwork of the (early) six-engined Douglas CX-4 from aero April 1964.

A few parameters:

MTOW : 272,000 kg
volume of the cargo hold : 784 m³
cruise speed : 805 km/h
payload : 45,300 kg (over a distance of 10,140 km)

Attachments

• Douglas CX-4 (pic 2).jpg
    Douglas CX-4 (pic 2).jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 1,955
Douglas model D-906 was their six engined contender under the generic CX-4 designation.
( Experimental Cargo-Heavy Logistics Support)
Douglas model D-920 was the contender in the C-5 competition.

source :Mc Donnell Douglas Aircraft since 1920.René J.Francillon. Putnam.

Boeing design number in the C-5 competition never found.. ???

Lockheed CX-HLS with lambda wing

"Several configuration alternatives were reinvestigated in some detail for the CX- HLS, one of which was the lambda wing, shown <...> The lambda wing offered excellent potential for high speed cruise Mach numbers, up to M=0.9. But the requirements were narrowing to M=0.767, so the configuration was not pursued further because it was judged 5% more expensive.
There was also a study of a straight wing design and a modified straight wing, called the bat wing. The results of the assessment are shown in Table A5-1. The 2% improvement in 10-year system costs was not sufficient to sway the decision from the baseline."

Chadwick, C.A., The Design and Development of the C-5A, AIAA Case Study series, Dec 1970.

Attachments

• Lockheed_CX-HLS_lambda.jpg
    Lockheed_CX-HLS_lambda.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,016
All Douglas CX-HLS (D-920) 30 wheels...

Attachments

• Clipboard06.jpg
    Clipboard06.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 616
  • Clipboard05-.jpg
    Clipboard05-.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 392
  • Clipboard05.jpg
    Clipboard05.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 370
  • Clipboard04.jpg
    Clipboard04.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 360
  • Clipboard03.jpg
    Clipboard03.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 382
  • Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 429
  • Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 817
Lockheed LGX-160 - heavy C-5A follow-on studied together with L500 (civil derivative of C-5A)

"..cruises at Mach number above 0.85, and carries 300,000 pound of payload. The performance
of this design was verified in high speed wind tunnel tests.
The dimensions are generally similar to those of the L500.
C-5 is the lightest of the three aircrafts, weighing 732,500 pounds, compared
to 833,200 for L500, and 940,000 for the ."

THE DESIGN OF LARGE SUBSONIC CARGO ALRCRAFT
by
ROBERT B. ORMSBY, JR.
Lockheed-Georgia Company
Marietta, Georgia
AlAA Paper
NO. 68-1019

Attachments

• Lockheed_LGX-160.jpg
    Lockheed_LGX-160.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 743
They have met finally. 'SLAB' seems to be one of CX-HLS iterations. Formally, it would become C-5 one day.
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,219.msg16824.html#msg16824

Attachments

• Lockheed_CX-HLS_lambda.jpg
    Lockheed_CX-HLS_lambda.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 565
Lockheed LGA-144 (originally posted by Dronte)

Lockheed LGA-144, ' 80 project .Kind of a Super Galaxy with a longitude of 88 meters and able to load 180 tons (source: magazine of scientific popularization "Muy Interesante" May 1986)

Attachments

• LGA144.jpg
    LGA144.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 729
lark said:
The 2e illustration from Flying Review depicts the Burnelli CB-7
one of the early fifties designs.(already discussed in the former thread)
Burnelli claimed a speed of 500 mph and it could also
be configured to hold a cargo container of 20ft long,10ft wide
and 7.6 ft high

I found no information about Burnelli contenders for the C-130 and C-5A competition.
nor for the

Dear Members,

Off topic, but in early 1941 a Canadian aircraft firm (of all things I remember it has "Foundry" in its name) offered a super-long range bomber based on Burnelli aircraft concept that could fly from North America and bomb Germany!

Jack E. Hammond

Back
Top Bottom