• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Cold War DoD Artists Impressions

Hood

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I've always been interested in the US DoD impressions, mostly paintings during the Cold War, of Soviet aircraft, ships and land-based systems. Often they weren't far off the mark but other times they were widely inaccurate, sometimes for political reasons to justify the DoDs expenditure. The Spiral influenced space fighter, T-80 shown as a M-1 copy and the 2S6M Tunguska shown as a Gepard copy are some of the best examples.

Here is a link to some of the best I've seen.
http://www.fas.org/irp/dia/product/art/art_2.html

Anyone else have any more to add?

TsrJoe

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
one of my favourites from 1986 ...

Attachments

• 96_964.jpg
    96_964.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 43

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
"Often they weren't far off the mark but other times they were widely inaccurate, sometimes for political reasons to justify the DoDs expenditure."

I'm hearing you Hood

One of the best in terms of 'speculative drawing' was 'Soviet Military Power'
But be warned for as much as it had some cool artist impressions, as the following and accurate account of this publication stated: "Soviet Military Power was a public diplomacy publication of the US Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA), which provided an estimate of the military strategy and capabilities of the Soviet Union during the final years of the Cold War, ostensibly to alert the US public to the significant military capabilities of the Soviet ..."

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

• IMG_20201108_211428.jpg
    IMG_20201108_211428.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 23