Carrington Slipways LSH Tobruk based Multi-role helicopter carrier/amphibious ship

Rattlesnek

ACCESS: Restricted
Joined
16 June 2025
Messages
16
Reaction score
48

Attachments

  • Multi-role helicopter carrier_amphibious ship based on LSH Tobruk 00.jpg
    Multi-role helicopter carrier_amphibious ship based on LSH Tobruk 00.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 337
  • Multi-role helicopter carrier_amphibious ship based on LSH Tobruk 01.jpg
    Multi-role helicopter carrier_amphibious ship based on LSH Tobruk 01.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
While browsing through skylancer-3441s considerable amount (thanks for that!) of digitized defense-related publications I've stumpled upon this little gem in International Defense Review 8/1986.

I guess there's not much that I could write that isn't already part of the description.
Damn - this is perfect for my various Australian-based alternate history scenarios!
 
While browsing through skylancer-3441s considerable amount (thanks for that!) of digitized defense-related publications I've stumpled upon this little gem in International Defense Review 8/1986.

I guess there's not much that I could write that isn't already part of the description.
Do you have a link to the publications in question? I'd be very interested to trawl them if they contain gems like this
 
I feel like this post by @Aussie Alfred in the Alternate Australian Defence Force 1970s Procurements? thread flew over quite a few heads:

@ Volkodav 3 articles on destroyer conversions and an article on never were’s.
Also an article on the Surveillance and Army Support Ship proposal from Caringtons based on Tobruk. If we couldn’t have a Melbourne replacement they proposed up to 5. I remember seeing other articles at the time equipping them with 6-10 Seakings and a couple with Harriers. They could have been quite handy and stopped the disaster that came with Kanimbla and Manoora.


The first 3 are articles about converting type 15s and Battle class destroyers to carry helicopters

https://navyleague.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/The-Navy-Vol_30_Part3-1968-Aug-Sep-Oct-1968.pdf

Page 73

https://navyleague.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/1969-70-Vol_31_Part1_Part1.pdf

Page 75

https://navyleague.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/The-Navy-Vol_31_Part2-1969-May-Jun-Jul-1969.pdf

Page 15


https://navyleague.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/The-Navy-Vol_45_Part2-1983-Jul-and-Oct-1983.pdf

RAN never weres page 4
LPH Carrier
DDL
LSM
Fast combat support ship

Surveillance and Army support ship page 41

Turns out this Surveillance and Army support ship (SASS) is about the very topic of this thread.

The article answers just about any question anyone might have about this proposal.

I might later edit this post if I can figure out how to properly format all the information provided.

I hope that sooner or later higher-resolution scans/photos of the artist's impression and this exploded view will turn up.
The impression seems to use the same heading as the pic from the first post of this thread, but it would be nice to sort of see it in action I guess.
 

Attachments

  • Surveillance and Army Support Ship SASS.jpg
    Surveillance and Army Support Ship SASS.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 112
Interesting concept and variants of this proposal would been good for the Amphibious Squadron that was set up in Brisbane. I was part of an overload trial in 1982 for Tobruk and loaded my M113 at Pier 1 and landed it at Jervis Bay. I had watched the Falklands war on exchange with BAOR and had seen quite graphic German TV on the sinking of Galahad. Bit concerned when loading that only armament was 2 40mm.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top Bottom