British Military Transport and Helicopter secret Projects post 1945

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Messrs Buttler and Gibson have put out a blinder with Hypersonics and Missiles, and effectively completed the trilogy on the UK's teeth weapons in the air. Matched with Brown and Moore's Rebuilding the Royal Navy for sea stuff their works pretty much cover the UK waterfront.

However, judging by the threads on this site there is considerable interest out there for the rather less glamorous subject of UK Transport aircraft and Helicopters. Trouble is that noone around seems to have the required knowledge. I know a bit about some of the 60s stuff from published sources but know diddly squat about whirlybirds (except for the odd 60s stuff again).
Maybe if Ian Allan know someone, we can encourage them from this site.

UK 75

"Covers UK transport projects quite nicely."
Well, that's true for civil transport. But although I'm not a
militarist (at least I think so !), the field of military transports
isn't covered in depth hink, and so is the field of helicopters.
And we probably should have a look at the often forgotten types,
like trainers, too.

Morning all,

Not often I'm flummoxed, but the attached image has me stumped. Any ideas what this could be? It has a stamp on the back that reads

'DE HAVILLAND PHOTOGRAPH No 446/A'

Might be DH, might not be. The flappery and engine spacing suggest something tactical, as does its apparent size. There is no date on the photo.

Your mission is to proceed up the Nung River identify this project.

Thanks

Chris

Attachments

• DH_image.png
    DH_image.png
    285.9 KB · Views: 266
It looks very much like a development of the Breguet 941.
Second image from Amazon, first from https://www.mymajorcompany.com/preservons-ensemble-le-breguet-941

Attachments

• Breguet 941-2.jpg
    Breguet 941-2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 260
  • Breguet 941.jpg
    Breguet 941.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 251
Aye, configuration-wise, but the mystery type is much bigger.

Chris

Jean Cuny's Breguet book might offer some answers. I'll have a look later.

Ah, mystery solved.

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1959/1959%20-%200971.html?search=Breguet

It's a DH Gnome-powered Breguet 941. How bizarre, looks much bigger than a 941.

Thanks for the steer, Arjen!

Chris

One of the worse artists' concepts I've seen. It does look C-130-sized. Maybe the Brits lost interest when they realized it could carry 12 dwarves and a Mini-Moke, or the French lost interest when they realized the engine was a T58.

The real reason I got excited was that I had seen those nacelle/intake designs before - on a Britannia, so...if those were Proteus engines...this beast was something interesting. But no, Ockam's Razor again.

Boo hoo.

Chris

LowObservable said:
One of the worse artists' concepts I've seen. It does look C-130-sized. Maybe the Brits lost interest when they realized it could carry 12 dwarves and a Mini-Moke, or the French lost interest when they realized the engine was a T58.
That's a bit harsh. The 941 wasn't the biggest of aircraft, but it could carry slightly more.
Image from 'Les Avions Breguet 1940-1971' by Jean Cuny and Pierre Leyvastre, Collection DOCAVIA, Editions LARIVIERE

Attachments

• Br941.jpg
    Br941.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 115