North American Rockwell / Boeing B-1 Lancer

flateric

ACCESS: USAP
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
If someone happy to have hi-res version of these North American Rockwell PR drawings (NA-73-400, Rev 9-83), I would be very obliged for sharing them with me. Thank you.

Attachments

• B-1B-1.jpg
    B-1B-1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 221
You know how nothign is ever in the first place you look? This was in the third place. It was actually in the sort of place it should have been.

It's the same drawing, but slightly different...it's the "B-1" not the "B-1B." From April '76, 1/150 scale. It'd take 8 scans to get it all, but it's of the "A" model, not B, so let me know if you're still interested.

Orionblamblam said:
...but it's of the "A" model, not B, so let me know if you're still interested.

Surely 'yes', Scott. Thank you!

P.S. And what is on the OTHER side of this fold-out drawings sheet?

Orionblamblam said:
It's the same drawing, but slightly different...it's the "B-1" not the "B-1B." From April '76, 1/150 scale. It'd take 8 scans to get it all, but it's of the "A" model, not B, so let me know if you're still interested.

The B-1A is far more interesting that the B-1B.

flateric said:
Orionblamblam said:
...but it's of the "A" model, not B, so let me know if you're still interested.

Surely 'yes', Scott. Thank you!

Alright. I'll scan later tonight. I'll post a series of chunks.

P.S. And what is on the OTHER side of this fold-out drawings sheet?

Not a lot (what there is will be scanned). Some text description of the B-1 program, that's about it.

The drawing was meant to be folded twice , and then once down the middle, making six "panels" each a big smaller than an average page. When folded, the two "panels" that were visible had text and logos and whatnot on 'em.

I took the liberty of assembling the the scans into a single image.

Orionblamblam, tell me if you want me to take it down for any reason.

Thanks.

Attachments

• B-1A.gif
    B-1A.gif
    198.5 KB · Views: 185
...And here goes what this thread has started from...

Attachments

• B-1B_model_info_s.jpg
    B-1B_model_info_s.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 120
B-1A prototype in 1981 with theoretical load outs for the upcoming B-1B program.

Which one of these is not like the other?

Attachments

• B-1_projected_bomb_load_outs.JPEG.jpg
    B-1_projected_bomb_load_outs.JPEG.jpg
    800 KB · Views: 1,454
I remember reading in Aerofax's book on the B-1 that there was a Navy version that Rockwell had proposed that was supposed to be capable of carrying a bunch of AIM-54's.

Sometime in the early '80s I saw in AW & ST there was a B-1C proposed for ADC, a long range interceptor, that would use the F-14's radar & have Phoenixes in the weapons bay(s).

Firefly 2 said:
Phoenix???? ???

Pyrrhic victory said:
B-1A prototype in 1981 with theoretical load outs for the upcoming B-1B program.

Which one of these is not like the other?

Seeing a B-1B outfitted with ACMs on the external hardpoints... now that's impressive. I wish they would bring the hardpoints back!

quellish said:
Seeing a B-1B outfitted with ACMs on the external hardpoints... now that's impressive. I wish they would bring the hardpoints back!

They have, sort of. The B-1s with Sniper pods are carrying them on one of the external hardpoints. Other than that, though, it's not like the B-1 is short on carrying capacity using the internal bays.

Hardpoints were deleted to reduce the number of warheads they could be accounted for under START (I was on an inspection team at a B-1B base once, we got to learn all about the START stuff on the airframe so we knew what the Russians would be looking for-forward bay bulkhead had to be locked in the center position as well, to disallow CSRL/ALCM carriage). Since they've been de-nuked, I don't see why they couldn't bring them back. START's about to expire anyway.

b1base.jpg

I am trying to locate the base that is under the B-1B, as I am making a slide show and would like to add a caption.

Any help appreciated.

That's not an AFB! It's Mojave, CA. Scaled Composites works out of there, and it's basically the Boneyard for airliners. It is north of Palmdale and west of Edwards AFB, so the Bone in the image could have been doing test work out of either location.

SOC said:
Hardpoints were deleted to reduce the number of warheads they could be accounted for under START (I was on an inspection team at a B-1B base once, we got to learn all about the START stuff on the airframe so we knew what the Russians would be looking for-forward bay bulkhead had to be locked in the center position as well, to disallow CSRL/ALCM carriage). Since they've been de-nuked, I don't see why they couldn't bring them back. START's about to expire anyway.

As much as I love the B-1 from an aesthetics and design point of view, perhaps they don't have enough airframe hours left on them to make such an upgrade worth it when you consider the extra weight it would be carrying. Despite the B-1Bs critics, they have sure seen plenty of use over the past 8 years.

SOC said:

A B-1B fully loaded with CBU-105 (WCMD/SFW) in both the internal bay and external hardpoints would be a very formidable way to stop an armored invasion.

Has anyone seen a B-1B with ordnance attached to external hard points? I for one have not. And I wrote a WARBIRD HISTORY book on it.

XB-70 Guy said:
Has anyone seen a B-1B with ordnance attached to external hard points? I for one have not. And I wrote a WARBIRD HISTORY book on it.
Well, page 91 of your book has a photo of 85-0068 with the external AGM-129 semi-conformal pylons on those hardpoints.

aim9xray said:
XB-70 Guy said:
Well, page 91 of your book has a photo of 85-0068 with the external AGM-129 semi-conformal pylons on those hardpoints.
I have. One book on the B-1 had an extensive set of photos, a quick search in Amazon did not find it though. I'll look around for it, though I won't be able to scan them any time soon.

That would probably be Don Logan's "B-1B, SAC's Last Bomber" published by Schiffer. Page 51 has three color in-flight photos and there is text across four pages describing the AGM-129 Advanced Cruise Missile integration effort.

aim9xray said:
That would probably be Don Logan's "B-1B, SAC's Last Bomber" published by Schiffer. Page 51 has three color in-flight photos and there is text across four pages describing the AGM-129 Advanced Cruise Missile integration effort.

I believe you are correct, though my quick look through the big box of fun didn't turn the book up where it should be.

XB-70 Guy said:

:eek: Are you trying to tell us that the Warbird Tech books are not DEFINITIVE? :-\ That somehow there can be omissions? That is an awfully disappointing piece of news... ;D ;)

Apparently mine was not because Specialty Press hasn't sold it for years. It was published in 1998 as BOEING NORTH AMERICAN B-1 LANCER, Volume 19.