Albacore floatplane photo

robinbird

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Re previous posts, has anyone a photo of Albacore floatplane? It is for a good home, Helensburgh Heritage Trust a charitable website recording the story of MAEE.RAF Helensburgh. Any such photograph will not be copyright now and a credit of source will be given. The Trust pays tribute to the men, women and aircraft at RAF Helensburgh and we now have a memorial to them.

Last edited:
From what i understand, the prototype was tested on floats at Hamble in 1940, but the results did not justify further development along these lines. I am not sure if there are any photos.

Farey Albacore floatplane version ? there are a drawing on Book " Idrovolanti della Seconda Guerra Mondiale " Albertelli Editore - Author Augusto Nani . This photo is from " Farey Swordfish and Farey Albacore " - Crowood Aviation Serie .

Attachments

• albacorefloatplane.jpg
    albacorefloatplane.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. My post seems to have merged with Lion battleships. I have seen a photograph of the Albacore floatplane but it was obscured with a stamp over. I want a photograph for a charitable website recording the story of RAF Helensburgh (MAEE). Such a photograph is no longer copyright, so fingers crossed.......

I had a look. I don't have a photo and oddly, there isn't a photo of one in Tim Mason's book on the MAEE. Must be rare.

Chris

Yes a rare bird. I saw one with watermark over it. Ironically my late father may have taken the photo of the Albacore float plane. Bob Bird was a photographer for the MAEE and later AFEE. I think a second one was tested by the RN