Register here

Author Topic: French Secret Projects 2: Bombers, Patrol and Assault Aircraft  (Read 21482 times)

Offline JC Carbonel

• CLEARANCE: Secret
Re: French Secret Projects 2: Bombers, Patrol and Assault Aircraft
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2017, 10:30:35 am »
Make it 5013 !

JCC

Offline blackkite

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • Don't laugh, don't cry, don't even curse, but.....
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2017, 03:55:27 am »
At last, I got this exciting book, especially Minerve project is amazing. :o
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 11:54:51 pm by blackkite »

Offline hesham

« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2017, 06:58:36 am »
Dear JCC,

you forget some Projects in your book,I know most of them is without details or
sufficient Infos,such as Gerin V.15/48 (V.15 of 1948).

Offline ov-101

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2018, 11:13:27 pm »
Received my copy from Amazon… and it made me very disappointed. The text is fascinating but pictures printing quality is too poor to accept.  All photos and drawings are printed at extremely low resolution – extremely fuzzy and pixelated. Crecy should recall all the faulty copies and destroy them.

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2018, 12:54:18 am »
The Fighters book had a number of poorly reproduced pictures, which was a bad point against it for me. In the old days, there were professional artists and typesetters who made sure the final book was as good as possible, even when some of the source material was bad (think photocopies etc). Its now much more on the author to supply the artwork in its final printed form - so printed reproduction can vary wildly in quality depending on the source image and the editing it received if any.

I know I spent a huge effort on tidying up scans and making them the right resolution, image format for my P.1121 book, and Chris does a lot for his books too.

For example, scans of 3 views or other line drawings must be supplied as 1 bit TIFF files, so they print out sharp as possible. Most printers can only print a dot or no dot - so to make shades of grey it uses a dither pattern of dots and spaces.

If you convert the picture to 1 bit (black and white) in software, you end up with a set of black dots directly corresponding to something which the printer can print at the highest resolution possible (say, 1200 or 2400 dots per inch).

If you print as a 8 bit grayscale image the printer had to use a dither pattern where sizable blocks of multiple dots and white space are used to represent each pixel in the image. This drastically reduces the apparent resolution of the 3 view when printed to something more like 150 or 300 dots per inch.

Combine this with a low resolution original, and the results can be quite unpleasing to the eye, though with increasing printer resolution it gets less noticable.

Having said that, I have no idea what the cause is with the specific drawings in this book, it could be a problem at various stages including the printer. What I said is to illustrate the complexity of getting drawings printed on paper in high quality. As an author, its disappointing when there are mistakes in the final product - there are a few in my book... despite my best efforts.

I found Jared Zichek's book Secret Aerospace Projects of the U. S. Navy: The Incredible Attack Aircraft of the USS United States 1948-1949 was let down by the reproduction of the drawings - the lines were too thin and light to see properly.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 02:05:56 am by PaulMM (Overscan) »
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline ov-101

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2018, 03:17:57 am »

Having said that, I have no idea what the cause is with the specific drawings in this book, it could be a problem at various stages including the printer. What I said is to illustrate the complexity of getting drawings printed on paper in high quality. As an author, its disappointing when there are mistakes in the final product - there are a few in my book... despite my best efforts.

In French Secret Projects 2, all the photos, drawings and diagrams being printed at extremely low resolution without exception. In my opinion,it was a product quality accident.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 05:56:39 am by ov-101 »

Online TomcatViP

• Hellcat
« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2018, 03:29:54 am »
for print quality, you have to ensure that the print resolution would be coherent with the print process.
If you send some images, make sure they reach a resolution of 300dpi. Something that looks good on Word could ended-up being of a poor quality once printed.

Also, once you are satisfied with your image quality, make sure that you send vector files like EPS to your editor. Once resized to fit in the publication, those would keep a pertaining resolution (300dpi if you saved them that way).

my 2 cents
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 03:38:37 am by TomcatViP »

Offline Hood

« Reply #112 on: March 28, 2018, 04:11:29 am »
As ov-101 says, all the images in the book are affected, even the Crecy adverts at the back of the book.

Offline pometablava

• Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2018, 09:06:35 am »
Thanks a lot ov-101, I'm about to receive my copy and I'll be ready to reject it

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2018, 09:39:55 am »
As ov-101 says, all the images in the book are affected, even the Crecy adverts at the back of the book.

That sounds like a major issue in printing that should have been caught, like accidentally using a low res PDF to print from.
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline Archibald

« Reply #115 on: March 28, 2018, 11:57:59 am »
In the immortal word of King Ubu: MERDRE. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubu_Roi

C'est bien embêtant tout ça...
Conservatoire de l'Air et de l'Espace d'Aquitaine - Bordeaux - Mérignac / Dassault aviation museum
http://www.caea.info/en/plan.php

Offline Michel Van

« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2018, 02:06:02 pm »
Amazon reviews about French Secret Projects 2 mention the same problem

Seems they had Low resolution File as master for print, but why to hell has no one notice that and intervene ?
and worst how many of these version were printed ?!
I love Strange Technology

Offline JC Carbonel

« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2018, 06:30:51 am »
Crécy have corrected the problem. They sent me a copy of the new printing earlier this month which is quite improved.
As much as possible of the drawings (that is : those I scanned myself) were delivered in .tiff on an usb key to avoid the hassle of sending huge files on the Net (and don't tell me about "sharing" system where your "share" your work with all the planet before your legitimate partner-s)

JCC

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2018, 07:05:46 am »
My copy has the same low-res pics. I wonder if Crecy gonna replace defective copies...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 09:00:19 am by flateric »
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2018, 10:23:18 am »
Wrote to Crecy through a contact form at their site explaining a problem. Day two, no reply.
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works