Westland WG.11

It's the civilian version of the WG.11.......

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• WG.11 civil.jpg
    WG.11 civil.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 614
Interesting. Thanks. Are those air-launched Ikara missiles it is carrying?

Very interesting. Perhaps the first time I've come across the Ikara as an aerial weapon. Doesn't make too much sense, surely a helicopter doesn't need a stand-off weapon, especially when the dipping sonar is right beneath the helicopter and hopefully the enemy sub not too far away.

Hood said:
Very interesting. Perhaps the first time I've come across the Ikara as an aerial weapon. Doesn't make too much sense, surely a helicopter doesn't need a stand-off weapon, especially when the dipping sonar is right beneath the helicopter and hopefully the enemy sub not too far away.

It does make a little sense if the enemy submarine had a periscope mounted SAM launcher, and thus might shoot down the poor helicopter before it can launch a torpedo normally. Also such a missile being three times the speed of the helicopter would have some value for rapidly chasing down a periscope/snorkel contact by radar or sonar detecting a snorkeling diesel. Attacking the enemy before he can dive deepply would greatly increase the chances of a kill with slow running 1960s/70s vintage lightweight ASW torpedo. It would also provide a safer way to employ nuclear depth bombs set to shallow bursts.

I don't think it did - the only extra bit I have is the following which I scribbled down to save paying for photocopying.
WG11 Anti-Submarine Warfare at S.L. I.S.A+20degreeC
3and a half hours in station at a 30 n. miles datum with 2,500lb sonar and 4 Mk44 torpedoes plus miscellaneous stores.

Regards,
Barry

Hood said:

Its the only proposal I've seen. It does make considerable sense when one considers thermoclines and convergence zones and how they affect sonar. The helicopter may well be some distance from where the submarine is when it detects it. A stand off weapon like Ikara would allow it to still engage it. Ikara though is a bit large and heavy for the role, I think. However, its guidance would be almost perfect as it is designed for use when engaging a subsurface contact with sonar and radar combined.

Sealord

Unusually the various good sources on the RN do not explain much about the Chinook/WG 11 ASW
programme. At some point, 1963? it gives way to the SH3 Sea King. Perhaps because the US Navy had decided it did not need a twin rotor in this role? I think I am correct in saying that no US ASW twin rotors were developed after the early 60s?

Some additional details. JAST.358 was a vey real programme and it was intended to use the Chinook with four Gnome engines as shown in the pictures above.

The 2,500b sonar: this didn't really exist as far as I can tell, the weight was based on an estimation of what a 360 degree long range dipping sonar would weigh.

The missile: This was also a real requirement and a staff target (I haven't found a number) was being worked up.