• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

VTOL On Demand Mobility

DWG

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Looking at these things from the urban air taxi viewpoint, and particularly the to/from airport commute they're touted for, a lot of the teams seem to have paid remarkably little attention to physical passenger ingress/egress. Okay a lot of them are proof of concept vehicles rather than true prototypes, but if your concept puts multiple waist level rotors and a huge outrigger between passenger and door (looking at you, Boeing), then that's a problem. Doubly so when the passenger is towing a suitcase the size of a small house. Air travellers have luggage, but to look at many of these vehicles you wouldn't think so.

And you can multiply the problem again for passengers who are wheelchair users, or otherwise mobility impaired. Embraer's is the only concept I've seen to even mention disabled accessibility, and I'm not completely convinced even they understand the practicalities as their landing skid will complicate boarding, and they presume a folding chair, where the majority of long-term independent wheelchair users use non-folding rigid frame chairs. Nor are these theoretical issues as both ground taxi and aircraft regs (for example the Air Carrier Access Act) commonly require carriage of wheelchair users. And what applies to wheelchairs similarly applies to baby buggies, which, incomprehensibly, are often larger than adult chairs.

DWG

Reaction score
EASA takes the first shot at eVTOL regulations. Did they miss the mark? (by Mike Hirschberg, executive director of the Vertical Flight Society)
https://evtol.com/opinions/easa-first-shot-evtol-regulations/
The TLDR might be "Wah, they want us to be as safe as airliners!"

Well, you're talking about an industry potentially carrying as many people as airlines, or more, when fully developed, and doing so in many more air vehicles, while spending more time in close proximity to urban areas, and with a lower chance to glide or autorate clear of trouble due to a likely lower operating altitude. So from the other perspective they're lucky they only want them to be as safe as airliners.

And thinking about this, it's just occurred to me to wonder whether anyone has modelled the likely shortfall in licensed aircraft mechanics if we see the sort of growth mooted for eVTOL/urban air vehicles.

RanulfC

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
I will repeat the adage: People DRIVE badly enough, do you REALLY want to give them a third dimension in which to do so?

The reasons we don't have flying cars is neither technical or economics but the general fear of what that would really mean :)

Randy

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
I will repeat the adage: People DRIVE badly enough, do you REALLY want to give them a third dimension in which to do so?
Mathematically, yes. A (second and a) third and a 4th (time).
That to drastically decrease the probability of collision. Add the lowered rate of ownership (cost and preferences) and you dwarf the numbers.

Zootycoon

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
When it comes to the major claim about noise they’re using a chalk and cheese comparison.

Noise is a simple function of the energy added to air. A five ton six seat helicopter sized for several hours endurance is naturally going to require an order of magnitude more energy to fly than an unloaded, at best single seat, model which may only have a practically airborne endurance of a few minutes. Having done the sums myself I find most of the eVTOL time of flight claims dubious;- commonly these only assume two dimensional flight;- going up and down kills range and endurance figures so they ignore it. So again Helo’s can fly high, noise a long distance away, whereas eVTOL will be a few metres above your roof.

Let’s hear the noise when they have a valid basis for comparison.

Last edited:

VTOLicious

Reaction score
When it comes to the major claim about noise they’re using a chalk and cheese comparison.

Noise is a simple function of the energy added to air. A five ton six seat helicopter sized for several hours endurance is naturally going to require an order of magnitude more energy to fly than an unloaded model which may only have a practically airborne endurance of a few minutes...
Let’s hear the noise when they have a valid basis for comparison.
I was waiting for that comment... And I fully agree. The noise comparison in that video is absolutely ridiculous.
It will be interesting to see how noisy a large and fully loaded vehicle like Cityairbus will be. And downwash is most likely an issue as well ;)

Fluff

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Hey guys, turn up the volume!
Note: Volocopter is considered to have a rather low discloading.
I'm just wondering, with 10 or 12 props, is there any form, of synchronisation, or indeed de-synchronisation, possible? Just like the supersonic teams are trying to spread the shockwave.

On the driving v flying, I understood these would all be automatic, we surely are not talking about my 93 YO neighbour getting one of these and flying themselves are we?

AeroFranz

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
All these vehicles will be autonomous, although they will initially have a safety pilot. Some of these configurations are unflyable anyway without FBW, there will always be a computer in the loop.

stealthflanker

Reaction score
Well our Aerospace institute here in Indonesia also have its take

--
One claim i heard is that this is safer than Helicopter.. Which made me wonder how such can be achieved ? It does have multiple rotor but how many lost rotor that can be tolerated ? Plus is there any ability to auto-rotate so in case of total power loss.. the rotor can safely glide and land.