VTOL On Demand Mobility

alberchico

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score

X-39

Armchair Engineer
Reaction score

FAA and United Kingdom's CAA issue statement that recognizes potential of eVTOL aircraft​

March 4, 2022

The U.S. and UK civil aviation authorities are engaged in a range of bilateral and multilateral discussions focused on facilitating certification and validating new eVTOL aircraft, production, and continued airworthiness, AviationPros reports.

Faa E 6220d868c2075

WASHINGTON - The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the United Kingdom Civil Aviation Authority recognize the potential of electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) and other Advanced Air Mobility (AAM) aircraft to significantly benefit the public. To support future eVTOL aircraft development and operation, the U.S. and UK civil aviation authorities are engaged in a range of bilateral and multilateral discussions focused on facilitating certification and validating new eVTOL aircraft, production, continued airworthiness, operations, and personnel licensing, AviationPros reports.
The Military & Aerospace Electronics take:

4 March 2022 - As these aircraft enter into the aviation ecosystem, both agencies recognize that they must continue to maintain the high safety standards that the public expects. To streamline and expedite integration, this technology should use existing regulatory frameworks on which that strong safety record is founded.

Both regulators recognize AAM is a collection of new and emerging technologies in the existing aviation system. Both authorities have a strong history of collaborating in aircraft certification, airspace integration, operations, and infrastructure, which lead to a safer, more sustainable sector.

VTOLicious

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
2nd iteration of beta goes to a simple lift cruise

Interesting interview inside on a number of design decisions from battery location, aerodynamics, configurations, and so on.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HKD5WsTqOQ

Cargo, medical and government as first target....

CEO as chief flight test pilot ....

Hmm, one year later still no transition? I had high hopes on Beta. Does anyone know what's the problem?

yasotay

Top Contributor
Reaction score

Interesting interview inside on a number of design decisions from battery location, aerodynamics, configurations, and so on.

Hmm, one year later still no transition? I had high hopes on Beta. Does anyone know what's the problem?
My suspicion is that the rotors are not as efficient as they seemed in simulation. So there is work on how to make effective rotors that do not incur significant drag. That is my hunch using the scientific method of "Gosh, those rotors are sure small."

VTOLicious

Reaction score

My suspicion is that the rotors are not as efficient as they seemed in simulation. So there is work on how to make effective rotors that do not incur significant drag. That is my hunch using the scientific method of "Gosh, those rotors are sure small."

When I look at that top view it seems to me that the rotors have sufficient disc area.
But you're right, their shape is very unusual and might be the reason why we didn’t see a video of hover or transition yet... In addition to efficiency, noise is also a factor that should not be neglected.

Attachments

• 20200613_092129.jpg
    20200613_092129.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 22
  • ERA00064-Edit.jpg
    ERA00064-Edit.jpg
    785.9 KB · Views: 27

Zoo Tycoon

Reaction score
Transition has always been the massive step for any Vtol configuration. All sorts of bad things related to details within the configuration can go wrong. The normal challenge is a transition with a bit of yaw relative to a cross wind. Quite a few test pilots have given their lives in trying to make various contraptions go from zero airspeed to wing borne flight and back again.

Zoo Tycoon

Reaction score
Is this the worlds first eVTOL aircraft?! The PKZ-1 first flew in 1918. It had one motor, 4 wooden propellers, and was powered by a cable connected to a DC generator on the ground (it was tethered). It was intended to replace observation balloons and it predates the conventional helicopter by some 20 odd years.

Attachments

• D46303D5-6ACF-4C1C-833B-CB8D77DD0201.jpeg
    D46303D5-6ACF-4C1C-833B-CB8D77DD0201.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 18

alberchico

Reaction score

Looks like an expose has been published showing that the Lilium Jet project is a fraud. People on this forum have been pointing that out for a long time.

shin_getter

Reaction score

VTOLicious

Reaction score

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Yes. No vertical Takeoffs and landings here. Notice that both pilots are wearing ventral parachutes.
Notice also:
- the high alpha attitude on the picture.
- the featureless cockpit
- the badly executed sheet metal console holding the flight display (normal (usual) pilot side)

TomS

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Yes. No vertical Takeoffs and landings here. Notice that both pilots are wearing ventral parachutes.

Given that ingress/egress appears to be through the cargo compartment, it's hard to see why they bothered with the chutes. (see video at the link)

VTOLicious

Reaction score

"component failure"

eVTOL's were always promoted as less complex than "the helicopter". That might be true in some cases, but definitely isn't the case for tiltrotors with multiple rotors and variable pitch contol. And not to forget, tiltrotors need conventional flight control surfaces as well. A lot can go wrong in such a system, on hardware and software side. Certifying authorities require single- failure-tolerance btw.

Zoo Tycoon

Reaction score
Last edited:

alberchico

Reaction score

Well at least there's some steady progress being made in the world of delivery drones. Whether the economics ultimately work out is another question. I would imagine for certain items like priority overnight deliveries that command a premium this evtol could work out for FedEx. This machine could be utilized as part of a premium service for priority packages that miss the cutoff time and need to be shipped out that night no matter what.

alberchico

Reaction score

Zoo Tycoon

Reaction score
At last some no BS battery costings for the aviation sector…

“High battery costs are another factor that could prove limiting over the next decade or so…..Tecnam believes aviation battery costs are likely to remain high for the next 10 years, ……Aviation battery cost are about $1,312 (€1,200) per kilowatt hour compared with about $132 (€130) for cars”

“Tecnam measures battery life in months not years for the very high utilisation operators.”

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
IMOHO (and late 2017 analysis), this would not be the case. Electricity, as an energy source, is promised to be the battle ground of speculation. Once the higher segment of the market would have fall-in, everything will be done to provide cheap access to EV for the average Joe.
You do not have to expect a stagnant entry price for efficient battery. No more that you had for electric home heater, AC, stoves etc...

Then, once EV have become a commodity on the market, aviation batteries prices will crumble with plenty of affordable derivatives offered to GA airplane manufacturers and E-S/VTOL.

Last edited:

Rhinocrates

Reaction score
I have an idea and I'm looking for investors. The concept is an amazing breakthrough. Energy is stored in carbon nanotubes and propulsion is provided by flagella. At a micro scale, flagella are more efficient that blades and while their small size may seem like a limitation, many thousands acting in concert could provide feasible lift for a couple of passengers. Moreover, the technology is simple and modular, allowing large matrices of lift units to be produced relatively simply. Massive integration would ensure redundancy. A 3-D printing technique similar to weaving would be used due to the thread-like nature of all the components, allowing made-to measure manufacturing and customization (such as colourful patterns etc.).

The eVTOL would strongly resemble a carpet...

martinbayer

Reaction score
I have an idea and I'm looking for investors. The concept is an amazing breakthrough. Energy is stored in carbon nanotubes and propulsion is provided by flagella. At a micro scale, flagella are more efficient that blades and while their small size may seem like a limitation, many thousands acting in concert could provide feasible lift for a couple of passengers. Moreover, the technology is simple and modular, allowing large matrices of lift units to be produced relatively simply. Massive integration would ensure redundancy. A 3-D printing technique similar to weaving would be used due to the thread-like nature of all the components, allowing made-to measure manufacturing and customization (such as colourful patterns etc.).

The eVTOL would strongly resemble a carpet...
Sounds like a candidate for Shark Tank for sure...

alberchico

Reaction score

alberchico

Reaction score
Last edited:

alberchico

Reaction score

A good profile of the Beta ALIA Evtol project.

alberchico

Reaction score

An interesting hybrid concept that could prove useful for military operators but might be too expensive and complex for civil cargo companies. Getting approval for this beast to fly over populated areas is going to be a major challenge.

Last edited:

alberchico

Reaction score
Last edited:

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Let's not forget that the Aerospace industry didn't begin with the FAA but the later was a result of the former reaching maturity.
Any regulating agency would have to wait what's in the submitted papers to order slight changes, redirection or open a new category when necessary.

We can only conclude that the late change is a reaction on what the industry has opened up so far and that it wasn't comforting them with their say.

Most of the EV industry proud themselves of being a step ahead of all others, including national R&D programs like the X-57 from NASA. It is an inherent risk that such event surface. No sane investment or capital should then be at risk.

Last edited:

alberchico

Reaction score

This article with no paywall summarizes the main points. So it looks like no major disruptions to certification schedules are anticipated.