Vought XF8U-3 Crusader III

I'm a bit disappointed they couldn't squeeze in a fourth Sparrow. And how did they consciously abandon an F-8 trademark, the Y-rack? I also wonder what the two-seat model could have achieved with a dedicated RIO.

I kind of got the impression a single seater using SARH missiles was a bit too much to use without a largely automated weapons suite at the time. F-15A pulled if off, but not as well as either F-4 or F-14 with the RIO.

The F8U3 did have an amazingly automated fire control system for its day. There's a video linked here somewhere, I think.

The F8U3 did have an amazingly automated fire control system for its day. There's a video linked here somewhere, I think.
Yeah, IIRC, the Crusader III FCS was basically point and click. The pilot would select a target on his screen, and the computer would keep the radar locked on it as long as the pilot kept the targeted aircraft within 60° of the nose. I'm just not sure how well it would have functioned in practice given the reliability of the electronics of the day. Particularly when operating off of a carrier.

The autopilot was also highly advanced for its time. Once the pilot reached his patrol area, he could set the autopilot to maintain speed, heading and altitude while he went "heads down" in the cockpit to work the radar. In what was almost a novelty at the time, the autopilot could even turn the plane to a new heading just by adjusting the heading select knob in the cockpit. For reference, late 50s/early 60s autopilots, in general, couldn't turn. They could only hold the aircraft on the heading it was on when it the autopilot was engaged. To make turns, the pilot would have to manually turn the aircraft, then re-engage the autopilot once he was stable on his new course. So having an autopilot that could actually turn your plane for you was a game changer.

Yeah, IIRC, the Crusader III FCS was basically point and click. The pilot would select a target on his screen, and the computer would keep the radar locked on it as long as the pilot kept the targeted aircraft within 60° of the nose. I'm just not sure how well it would have functioned in practice given the reliability of the electronics of the day. Particularly when operating off of a carrier.

The autopilot was also highly advanced for its time. Once the pilot reached his patrol area, he could set the autopilot to maintain speed, heading and altitude while he went "heads down" in the cockpit to work the radar. In what was almost a novelty at the time, the autopilot could even turn the plane to a new heading just by adjusting the heading select knob in the cockpit. For reference, late 50s/early 60s autopilots, in general, couldn't turn. They could only hold the aircraft on the heading it was on when it the autopilot was engaged. To make turns, the pilot would have to manually turn the aircraft, then re-engage the autopilot once he was stable on his new course. So having an autopilot that could actually turn your plane for you was a game changer.
Still think the Navy would have been a LOT happier with a 2-seater, plus that fancy AWG-7 and autopilot.

question
if the F-8 is the Crusader 1
and the XF8U-3 is the Crusader 3

what was the Crusader 2?

The line art implies the tilting wing was installed. I've yet to see a picture using it.

XF-8U was the pinnacle of Crusader development. I always felt it achieved what the British wanted from their EE Lightning program.

The line art implies the tilting wing was installed. I've yet to see a picture using it.

XF-8U was the pinnacle of Crusader development. I always felt it achieved what the British wanted from their EE Lightning program.
Sort of, if tied in the datalink, then GCI or CCI would direct the intercept automatically until the aircraft's radar could pick up the target.

Still think the Navy would have been a LOT happier with a 2-seater, plus that fancy AWG-7 and autopilot.
Yeah, no argument. Odds are, if the plane had been ordered, it almost certainly would have been reordered with a RIO almost immediately (or at least within a year after entering service and the FCS started getting beat up with carrier launches and traps

Back
Top Bottom