Abraham Gubler

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Here is some data on an interesting British program from the early 1980s. The following information has been copied from Jane’s Light Tanks and Armoured Cars 1984 by Christopher F. Foss. It is posted here for educational purposes.

Alvis Sagitar

Alvis Limited has submitted three studies to the United States Army Tank Automotive Command for the Mobile Protected Weapon System (MPWS) and one for the Mobile Protected Gun System (MPGS). For the MPWS the company has put forwards the Sagitar chassis which is a further development of the Stormer APC of which 25 have been delivered to Malaysia, with a two-man turret armed with a Royal Ordnance Factories 76 mm L23A1 gun (as installed in the Scorpion) and a twin TOW ATGW launcher, another armed with a 75 mm ARES gun and a conceptual design armed with a Royal Ordnance Factories low pressure gun. For the MPGS requirement the 105 mm low pressure gun and the West German Rheinmetall Rh 105-11 super low recoil gun have been proposed.

Manufacturer: Alvis Limited, Holyhead Road, Coventry, West Midlands CV5 8JH, England. (A member of the United Scientific Group.)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/abegubler/sagiter01.jpg
Artist's impression of Alvis hybrid vehicle based on Stormer chassis but fitted with two-man turret armed with ARES 75 mm automatic gun

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/abegubler/sagiter02.jpg
Model of Alvis hybrid vehicle based on Stormer chassis but fitted with two-man turret armed with Cockerill 90 mm Mk III gun (Christopher F Foss)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/abegubler/sagiter03.jpg
Model of Alvis hybrid vehicle based on Stormer chassis outfitted with two-man turret armed with 76 mm L23A1 gun and twin launcher for Hughes TOW ATGW (Christopher F Foss)

Attachments

• sagiter01.JPG
    sagiter01.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 264
  • sagiter02.JPG
    sagiter02.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 255
  • sagiter03.JPG
    sagiter03.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 250
Nice:) I note that the Sagiter is "based" on the Stormer....
When Alvis were designing the Stormer as a follow-on from CVR(T) in the late 1970s there was supposedly an entire family of Stormer based vehicles a-la Scorpion, Sultan etc etc.
Does anybody have any pics??

C

Alvis hybrid vehicle would be very similar to Scorpion 90.

Indeed, although Scorpion 90 was a retrospective project as opposed to a clean sheet design. I wonder would that have impacted on the hull profile etc.
C

" ...and a conceptual design armed with a Royal Ordnance Factories low pressure gun."

The ROF's worked with Alvis in support of their MPWS program submissions.

This concept was for a new elevating mass incorporating a modified 105mm L19 (L118 Light Gun) ordnance firing the standard HE shell but with a new long rod round as well, this being based on the work done by the ROF's developing their FSAPDS designs for the 105mm L7 .

Any idea what turret was used with the 105mm? I'm assuming it wasn't the Scorpion turret, even though that has been retro-fitted with Cockerill 90mm.

C

Last edited: