Vought V-451 "Guerrilla" STOL

Mark Nankivil

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings All -

Last week I spent some time in the Vought Archives and found a few things I don't recall seeing before. One is the V-451 "Guerrilla" from 1962.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zVought V-451 Inboard Profile.jpg
    zVought V-451 Inboard Profile.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 1,553
  • zVought V-451 cutaway.jpg
    zVought V-451 cutaway.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 2,351
Mark, this is great!
Of interest is the cross-shafting of the two engines to prevent large assymetry in lift in the case of engine out.
I find the style of the drawing interesting, it's almost a little bit cartoonish compared to other GA drawings from Vought.

Given the timing, was this aimed at the Special Air Warfare Center (or perhaps originally, the 4400th CCTS)?

Mark, this is fabulous! You (and the Vought Archives) never cease to amaze me.

Thanks for posting this interesting project! ;D

V-451

1961 turboprop-powered tactical support (Close Support) STOL aircraft project for Army and Marines.

Yes Mark another fantastic and very interesting find!!!
Thanks once again for your time and effort!!

Regards
Pioneer

I found this poor photocopy of a three-view among the things we brought back from that trip. Had to split the scan because I'm currently stuck with a printer/scanner combination that I don't really like.

Attachments

• guerrilla 3 view 1.jpg
    guerrilla 3 view 1.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 760
  • guerrilla 3 view 2.jpg
    guerrilla 3 view 2.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 683
Its recoverable, but I don't have time for it right now. Rough 10 min attempt:

Attachments

• guerrilla 3 view.jpg
    guerrilla 3 view.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 647
Hadn't noticed Paul had done something already, but anyway. Here's my attempt at doing a quick clean merge.

It would be a lot better of course with scans in a better definition...

Attachments

• V-451 Guerilla general arrangement.jpg
    V-451 Guerilla general arrangement.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 423
Paul and Stargazer, I'm going to pass the drawing on to Mark and see what he can do, but what each of you have done looks close to the definition in what I've got here. As I said, it's a poor photocopy.

I've been told this might be a COIN aircraft. The box has Chance Vought markings. Speculate away.

Attachments

• RN C 1.jpg
    RN C 1.jpg
    571 KB · Views: 255
  • RN C 2.jpg
    RN C 2.jpg
    566.9 KB · Views: 229
  • RN C 3.jpg
    RN C 3.jpg
    571.3 KB · Views: 216
  • RN C 4.jpg
    RN C 4.jpg
    658.2 KB · Views: 277
Where is the robot with sensors and weapons, getting guidance from ground based assets? As long as it shoots at the right end of the laser designator, job jobbed, Ooooops.

"0 zulu actual, 0 alpha. Any chance of a do over"?

This just screams 'Tilt-Wing' . . .

cheers,
Robin.

I was thinking - "Oh look! Somebody took an OH-6A and put a wing and propellers on it."

Second the appreciation for sharing the photos.

I was thinking - "Oh look! Somebody took an OH-6A and put a wing and propellers on it."

I was talking to Richard and look at the rear... XV-15. I was convinced it was a Vought/Bell colab.

I second your thinking - indeed that cockpit screams "LOAAACH" and also "CAYUUUSE"

Today, we could add Volocopter air-taxi to the above mentioned list of "cockpits"

Thanks for sharing of the Vought's rare bird! Reminds first version of OV-10.

Last edited:
Great model @Richard N ! I have added an armament arrangement diagram that will help explain the "long white tubes" on the fuselage sides. I have also added a production break down for the V-451A. Note there are some differences in the shape of the nose/cockpit arrangement, three bladed props with longer blades. Sorry for the poor quality, these are scans of 8mm microfilm from about 10 years ago.

Attachments

• xV-451-Armament-Arrangement.jpg
    xV-451-Armament-Arrangement.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 155
  • xV-451A-Production-Diagram.jpg
    xV-451A-Production-Diagram.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 174
Here is the general arrangement for the V-451A making the differences a little easier to see. Again same small microfilm was the source.

Attachments

• x76-000192-V-451A-General-Arrangement.jpg
    x76-000192-V-451A-General-Arrangement.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 188
Do you suppose any of this sort of aircraft might resurface today with all of the eVTOL and USAF (well AFSOC at least) interest in reduced runway trquirements? Not necessarily this specific design, but I can help thinking that with modern composites and computer assisted flight controls some of these sort might do well. I suppose the ongoing AFSOC endeavor is as close as one might get.

I know colleagues who have ben doing white papers about Super STOL vehicles broadly similar, using distributed electric propulsion. I think they pitched it to AFRL with no takers.

Do you suppose any of this sort of aircraft might resurface today with all of the eVTOL and USAF (well AFSOC at least) interest in reduced runway trquirements? Not necessarily this specific design, but I can help thinking that with modern composites and computer assisted flight controls some of these sort might do well. I suppose the ongoing AFSOC endeavor is as close as one might get.

I even see these being used as larger more capable drones. I'm referring to the hand launched variety the Army uses now, not the MQ-9 type. I could see something slightly smaller than a manned eVTOL being towed on a trailer or possibly just following overhead, like an airborne lookout with it's recharging station being towed by a Humvee or built into a Humvee. You could put some serious firepower on it to keep enemies at bay until the A-10's/F-35s, whatever shows up.