• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Vought (LTV) A-7 Corsair II Projects

fightingirish

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Ron Downey said:
Vought YA-7F Strikefighter Brochure
A copy of the company made brochure for the proposed Vought YA-7F Strikefighter. Credit: usnraptor

From Wikipedia: “The Vought YA-7F "Strikefighter" was a prototype transonic attack aircraft based on the subsonic A-7 Corsair II. Two prototypes were converted from A-7Ds. The YA-7F was not ordered into production, its intended role being filled by the F-16 Fighting Falcon.”
Download here or here or here or here or here (5.9 Megs)
Source/Link: http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/2020/09/vought-ya-7f-strikefighter-brochure.html

Attachments

• Vought YA-7F Strikefighter Brochure.pdf
    5.6 MB · Views: 64

SSgtC

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
So, I've got a question kinda-sorta related to this thread. Had McNamara never become SECDEF and unified the USAF and USN aircraft designation systems, what would the Corsair's designation have been? I'm thinking either the AU Corsair (I can't find any specifically designated attack aircraft from Vought) or the A4U Corsair (following in sequence from the XSB3U, the last bomber Vought designed). In curious what others think of this

TomS

Reaction score
So, I've got a question kinda-sorta related to this thread. Had McNamara never become SECDEF and unified the USAF and USN aircraft designation systems, what would the Corsair's designation have been? I'm thinking either the AU Corsair (I can't find any specifically designated attack aircraft from Vought) or the A4U Corsair (following in sequence from the XSB3U, the last bomber Vought designed). In curious what others think of this

The original Corsair F4U had a dedicated attack variant, designated the AU-1, during the Korean War. The Corsair II would have had to be the A2U.

Last edited:

TomS

Reaction score
The original Corsair F4U had a dedicated attack variant, designated the AU-1, during the Korean War. The Corsair II would have had to be the A2U.

I think A2U was already taken as well? Attack variant of the F7U Cutlass, IIRC.
I see it referenced on Wikipedia, but I can't find a SAC for it.

It was ordered and one airframe maybe completed before it was cancelled. So pretty obscure but I should have checked.

For completeness, there are internet references to an A3U Sea Scorpion as a post-Korea turboprop design, but that's a fictional aircraft.

gral_rj

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score

I think A2U was already taken as well? Attack variant of the F7U Cutlass, IIRC.
I see it referenced on Wikipedia, but I can't find a SAC for it.
There's at least one book that has it , I think it's Ginter's Naval Fighter Series book on the Cutlass.