US Lifting Bodies Studies - START (ASSET/PRIME), FDL, X-24, etc.

Awesome! It looks almost like an XRL11 rocket motor. If thats the case then possibly designed to power a boost glide tests similar to NASA's lifting body program. Any additional information?

Awesome! It looks almost like an XRL11 rocket motor. If thats the case then possibly designed to power a boost glide tests similar to NASA's lifting body program. Any additional information?
The original image isn't of sufficient quality to clearly read the leader relevant text unfortunately (although some are clear enough to make a good guess). It is shown with an F-4 canopy with fairing, "scissors wing (stored)" with pivot just behind the "ejector seat rails", above the "oxidiizer tank"

That from the German magazine...with Energia having engines, you could have different type orbiters without the SSMEs ruining the aerodynamics. Each orbiter having different payload bay shapes. I wonder if this giant lifting body could be launched empty...filled like Lunar Starship, but deposit a light inflatable lander...shades of Homer's Back To The Moon novel. The high volume of a lifting body of this size could have many uses. Maybe an oxidizer filled orbiter with SSMEs and an all hydrogen External Tank with the payload atop that...using the ET as a wet stage space station segment...that might be a project for you. Thank you for this outstanding bit of art. Here is an idea: Do an American Energia with a jet equipped FOR ALL MANKIND type Pathfinder-Buran with Blue Origin regalia.

Last edited:
(New to me) picture of FDL-7 model showing (fold-out?) podded turbo-jets

Given the size and location of the cockpit canopy, this would seem to be a pretty big vehicle, likely Shuttle-scale in capability.

Appears to be perhaps the same model as appeared in June 22 1970 edition of AW&ST except for the external propulsion pods. There appears to be an upper removable section from cockpit area to mid-fuselage to allow reconfiguration.

1970062249_3[1].jpg

(New to me) picture of FDL-7 model showing (fold-out?) podded turbo-jets

Given the size and location of the cockpit canopy, this would seem to be a pretty big vehicle, likely Shuttle-scale in capability.

Appears to be perhaps the same model as appeared in June 22 1970 edition of AW&ST except for the external propulsion pods. There appears to be an upper removable section from cockpit area to mid-fuselage to allow reconfiguration.

View attachment 669351
Correct me if I am wrong, but this looks like the precursor model to the final Model 176 configuration, the Model 176 wind tunnel model had a cockpit area in the same general location on a spatulate nose and flat upper surfaces, rather than the laterally curved shape, that follows generally the shape of this particular model. McDonnell influence...

Stargazer, all these links are in operable. If someone has active links or can supply the following: "L-301 Model Pictures and Reports" that would be helpful to me. Thanks!

We have to call the "Internet archive" to the rescue, once again...

EDIT: no need, the first two at least seems to be on the NTRS.

The links are dead, but the documents can be found again on NTRS.

So I cut and pasted the "titles" into the attached txt file. It just a matter of copying the document title on google, and it brings you to the NTRS.

No solution so far for the pictures...

Will do better later...

Attachments

• TITLES.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone got a clue as to what this is? It appeared in a 60's comic Space news section.

Chiz,
Barry

A section of this has been posted previously in the thread, but here is the full page as it's mostly relevant:
(TV Century 21 #105 released by City Magazines Ltd, January 21, 1967)

..and again from Air Force Magazine / Space Digest January 1969 article :

The Ultimate in Hypersonic Flight - The Aerospace Plane
by Edgar E. Ulsamer

1642896565134.png

bonus Lockheed "scaled hypervelocity vehicle configuration" from same article :

1642896549229.png

Last edited:
What appears to be PEN00010_0493 (58 pages) has been uploaded to here containing WHRA-5-2 windtunnel stuff and those oh-so-annoying corner only scans of large sheets. It does have some partial images though.
Anybody manage to get a copy? The 'service' it is on requires a paid sign-up to download a PDF. Any ideas?

1642896449647.png

1642896497704.png

1642896488717.png

Last edited:
What appears to be PEN00010_0493 (58 pages) has been uploaded to here containing WHRA-5-2 windtunnel stuff and those oh-so-annoying corner only scans of large sheets.
Fun fact: some years ago I spoke to pone of the people respinsible for that collection. Turns out they set the scanning task to interns, who only scanned the corners. "Well, that sucks," sez I. "How can I go about persuading someone to revisit them? I'd be happy to pay for large format scans of the whole sheet."

"After the scanning was completed, the physical archive was destroyed."

So, yup, those corners? That's all there is. That's all there will ever be.

That's all there will ever be.
*cries-in-historical-decimation*

Welcome to the reality of life, where even Lovecraft was generally a tad too optimistic.

edit: incidentally was the image you'd posted here from a Penland file?
Yup. Don't recall which file offhand, though.
Also the link I'd posted above makes mention of a 5-3 variation - do you know the distinction?
Again, not offhand.

FDL-7MC-MSTV, July '67 :
Is there any information that this vehicle was associated with the MERV (Manueverable Entry Research Vehicle) program? I have a drawing of a variant of the MERV considered in a study as an ISS crew rescue vehicle. MERV was supposed to be a USAF proram that could have potentially followed the X-24B for the USAF's investigations into aeromechanics, flight controls, TPS, etc (beyond X-24C). However, after a search on the SPF I haven't found any program information on MERV here. Also, not sure where it fits into the TAV story, if at all.

After some additional searching it may be a manned variant of MRRV. If so, possibly late 1970s-early 1980s. I post the drawing.

Last edited:
Anyone got a clue as to what this is? It appeared in a 60's comic Space news section.

Chiz,
Barry

A section of this has been posted previously in the thread, but here is the full page as it's mostly relevant:
(TV Century 21 #105 released by City Magazines Ltd, January 21, 1967)

..and again from Air Force Magazine / Space Digest January 1969 article :

The Ultimate in Hypersonic Flight - The Aerospace Plane
by Edgar E. Ulsamer

View attachment 672753

bonus Lockheed "scaled hypervelocity vehicle configuration" from same article :

View attachment 672752
53 years ago over half a century :(

From the same report,

what is this ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 2.png
    2.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 99
Test vehicle, including testing hypersonic stores release. Not an operational military craft.

That was not my point,why did they study and test a missile on a craft,not qualified for this purpose from beginning ?.

Test vehicle, including testing hypersonic stores release. Not an operational military craft.

That was not my point,why did they study and test a missile on a craft,not qualified for this purpose from beginning ?.

Because if you want to have a Mach 6 interceptor, you need to test Mach 6 missile launching. And if you already have a Mach 6 test aircraft that has swappable compartments and *can* be turned into a Mach 6 missile launcher, it would be entirely sensible to use that test aircraft for that purpose. It's no ,more unusual than using your mach 6 test aircraft to demonstrate components or technologies for, say, a Mach 6 passenger transport.

Because if you want to have a Mach 6 interceptor, you need to test Mach 6 missile launching. And if you already have a Mach 6 test aircraft that has swappable compartments and *can* be turned into a Mach 6 missile launcher, it would be entirely sensible to use that test aircraft for that purpose. It's no ,more unusual than using your mach 6 test aircraft to demonstrate components or technologies for, say, a Mach 6 passenger transport.
Moreover, it would be eminently sensible to test how launching missiles at Mach 6 works before you build a Mach 6 interceptor. Building the interceptor first then discovering it can't launch missiles because you didn't fully understand the issues would be rather unfortunate.

Does Stratolaunch live here ??

It has its own thread here:

Last edited:
Woo. recent crowdfunded buy off ebay:

s-l1600.jpg