Unflown Wings: Unbuilt Soviet/Russian Aircraft Projects Since 1925

I received my copy about 3 weeks ago. It is a vast tome, and absolutely delightful.

I have The earlier Gordon & Tony Butler"s SP books on fighters and bombers - these have most of the projects post 1945 onwards - so unless one is interested in pre 1945 stuff and in choppers and other aircraft and dont have the earlier 2 books - i would give this one a miss

My personal preference would have been for Yefim to have focussed on a few secret projects and given a more elaborate coverage for these instead of a potted history of everything - viz the excellent prototype section in IAPR and earlier issues of the Russian Air Fleet

however this book has some interesting sections - like the non major OKB - which feature designs from an unknown Tajik designer and the true story of why the mysterious Sukhoi T-4 was never built etc

I got my copy of "Unflown Wings" last year and after browsing through it a bit, it was buried under more incoming books. Today, I saw an SP post mentioning the MAI Grach 4 and I thought to myself "I wonder if there is something about it in UW?" I rediscovered my UW near the bottom of the stack it was left under and and opened it looking for an index to look up "MAI Grach 4. I go to the back of the book and there is no index. I go to the front of the book and there is a 12 line table of contents listing the major OKBs, other OKBs, and helicopters. This book is 640 pages of nicely printed photos and and data, but no index!

Fortunately, I am pretty good at flipping through books and picking out pictures I am looking for and locked onto a Grach 4 three view in a few minutes.

Out of curiosity and to make this book more user friendly, does anyone know if someone made an index for "Unflown Wings"?

I got a copy of this today.

Flicking through, I have mixed feelings. It is a truly stupendously big and heavy book, nicely printed, lots of colour. No index or indeed much of a contents page or even a logical layout, its a giant scrapbook of projects.

The Tupolev section is, predictably, excellent, thanks to Mr Rigmant, and the pictures are scanned from high quality originals. Other sections are much more mixed. Its a mixture of original archive material, stuff previously published in Russian-language journals, and stuff downloaded from the internet. Paralay's artists impressions and 3 views are mixed with original manufacturer drawings with no identification of source whatsoever. Some of the information presented is best described as 'speculative'.

With these caveats in mind, its a still hell of a lot of stuff for the 35 pounds I paid. Just don't trust it absolutely without verification.

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
I got a copy of this today.

With these caveats in mind, its a still hell of a lot of stuff for the 35 pounds I paid. Just don't trust it absolutely without verification.

as mentioned in an earlier post - despite some of the drawbacks of not having an index etc - this is possibly the last of its kind - with Midland Publishing and its Classic brand now focusing exclusively only on railways & trains , aviation publishing has again been hit - grab a copy while stocks last

Yes and no - Crecy have taken on currently planned Midland aviation titles and were already releasing cool stuff (Early US Jet Fighters, Vulcan's Hammer, etc) that would once have been Midland titles.

Found a great deal and ordered a copy immediately. I'll post a comprehensive review as soon as I could receive it.

I got my copy today. What a amazing and a surprising book it is. :eek:
I satisfied very much. Many many unknown aircraft are in this book.

blackkite said:
I got my copy today. What a surprising book it is. :eek:

"Surprising"... as in "pleasant surprise" or "something of a disappointment"??

I promised a review but my book was scheduled to be delivered last week but only Spanish Royal Mail Service knows when I could see it

- How many years did you say one hour lasts on this planet?
- Seven earth years
- Perfect. We will open Spanish Royal Mail Service HQ right here.

Attachments

• Interstellar-1415380451.jpg
    Interstellar-1415380451.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 314
Amazon Japan is very fast.
640pages!!!! Very heavy book. ;D YEFIM GORDON did it as usual.
BTW I can't find sonic boom killer aircraft which Jozef showed us before. ???

Attachments

• 64f3a20572dfa11b0b.jpg
    64f3a20572dfa11b0b.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 282
  • 6ba5fed47b10758c3b.jpg
    6ba5fed47b10758c3b.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 257
  • 0c250c9df8f0bdcd16.jpg
    0c250c9df8f0bdcd16.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 286
Seems that somebody read my post at Spanish Mail Service...got my book today ;D

And the first impression is very good. A thick hard bound volume with pages made with glossy high quality paper. 640 pages of nothing but unbuilt Soviet/Russian unbuilt aircraft projects. Obviously not every project is here but is plenty of it. It's a guide with lots of images and brief descriptions of every project considered. The projects are grouped by manufacturer and there is no index.

Is the book recommended for those who doesn't have many books on Soviet/Russian aircraft?. I think the answer is affirmative. With "Unflown Wings" and "Soviet Secret Projects from 1945" two volume set (Fighters and Bombers) from Tony Buttler you have an array of unbuilt projects covered that was just a wet dream for an aerospace enthusiast 20 years ago. Enjoy it!
I consider "Soviet Secret Projects" and "Unflown Wings" can be complementary because Buttler books had great value with a deeper coverage of fighters and bombers from 1945 and telling a chronological story instead of being organized purely as an encyclopedical guide. I'll add Bill Gunston's Russian Aircraft 1875-1995 as the "built" projects guide for the Soviet/Russian aircraft project enthusiast basic library.

If you already have a good collection of Soviet/Russian aerospace books including Tony Buttler volumes, Bill Gunston's encyclopedia, Putnam manufacturer encyclopedias, Midland Red Star series, Aerofax monographics, Midland OKB encyclopedias, Midland's huge monographics, many aerospace magazines and internet access you probably could write this book by yourself. But why not buy the book and get the work done in a handy volume ready to use, saving all that effort? I've done it and I think that was a good idea. Additionally, I have discovered many previously unknown projects to me.

For instance, browsing from page 14 to page 23

Tupolev "57" PB long-range dive bomber 1939
Tupolev "66" passenger derivative from "64" bomber
Tupolev "74" (first use) 1946 high altitude piston engined tactical bomber
Tupolev "74" (second use) 1947 mixed powered tactical bomber
Tupolev "76" 1947 mixed powered tactical bomber

...remenber the book has 640 pages ;)

I hope this could help

Antonio

Thanks Antonio... And although we *might* be able to produce one such book from all the aforementioned publications as you suggest, I'd rather have it come from one single source based in the former Soviet Union who can read Russian-language documents better than Western authors, however good!

Skyblazer said:
Thanks Antonio... And although we *might* be able to produce one such book from all the aforementioned publications as you suggest, I'd rather have it come from one single source based in the former Soviet Union who can read Russian-language documents better than Western authors, however good!
Right! It remains a complete mystery to me how someone who is strictly unilingual can author (not to mention "write") books on subject matters where primary sources are by definition out of his reach (I refer in particular to some of the "Secret Projects" series books devoted to non-anglo-saxon countries). It looks more like branding than anything else.

although we *might* be able to produce one such book from all the aforementioned publications as you suggest,

Just using irony to show the value of a good compilation work.

Can anyone who has the book write down whether the Yakovlev chapter includes early Yak-19 pod and boom RD-10 plans?
Thanks in advance!

My mom is actually planning to order that book for my birthday. I hope I finally get to see what the other configurations of the Tu-404 superjumbo concept look like including the most conventional one. :) My birthday is May 7th. just so you know.

I have this book since few years... Remember, how excited I was when unpacking it and... how dissapointed after looking inside... From the one side it is usefull as grouping spreaded infos from other sources together. From second - nothing (or not much) new. Illustrations, especially drawings, are not on the one level of quality. Some good, some not bad some bad. Depend on source, that they were copied from... Yes, NO ONE was done for this book especially - all was copied from magazines, books etc. and depend on how big was at those sources (some were very small, so in book looks awful) each have different look. I don't mean oryginal, OKB's drawing but three view.
About what is inside - many, but not all. Due to limited space Gordon excluded some very important projects - Su-10 for example. IMO it is very painfull.. I would prefere to get book with shorter descriptions of each project but more complete - kind of lexicon. And, as all books of Gordon, have to be carefully reading. Cause thanks to Kostia Udalov I have deeper view in topic of Miasistchev and Bartini, I found there some BS* in text unfortunatelly. Hard to think, that the rest is better (maybe Tupolev, thanks to Rigmant).
So - good to have, but could be much better.

* - BS - bulls...t

Last edited:
Acquaintance with this book left a heavy residue from the information and design of the publication. The material is drawn from various previously published sources, and copied as in the originals. Drawings and photos are torn from the explanatory text, many projects are not mentioned - probably there was no material on the Internet. It looks like it was written by a newcomer to the book publishing industry. The only positive is what is collected in one edition.

The criteria of inclusion isn't clear but it seems like unbuilt variants and early versions of well-known aircraft are largely missing, presumably saved for a book about the main type. There is a lot of unofficial art and drawings included - lots of Paralay's speculative drawings for example. And yes, it is almost entirely compiled from secondary sources and the artwork often clearly scanned straight from a book or article.

So its really like a giant scrapbook of compiled information, a lot of which was published in Russian, translated for you.

I also have the book Unflown Wings and I also have some other books from Mr. Udalov.
A lot of what I saw was copied from Mr. Udalov's books.

With the book Unflown Wings you will have an overview about some Russian Projects. But if you want do know more in detail or you will see new Projects and good quality of drawings than I would highly reccomend the books from Mr. Udalov and Mr. Rys.

I also have the book Unflown Wings and I also have some other books from Mr. Udalov.

With the book Unflown Wings you will have an overview about some Russian Projects. But if you want do know more in detail or you will see new Projects and good quality of drawings than I would highly reccomend the books from Mr. Udalov and Mr. Rys.
Philipp,

which books from Mr. Udalov and Mr. Rys do you mean or can you recommend?

Recently, I also had the chance to take a look at this book, and I was very disappointed. The book doesn’t looks like a solid work, it is a mix of many fragments form other authors, which results in some mistakes and misinterpretations. Many other important projects are not present. As we all know here, our friend Konstantin Udalov has an incredible job regarding Soviet and Russian aircraft projects. I saw a lot of his work on this book, without any reference, something unacceptable for someone who spent more than 30 years in archives collecting the best material available. I counted more than 12 pages where Ucon drawings and images are present, but there must be even more, as some older works of Mr. Konstantin are still unknown to me. I really expected more from such a book, but it turned to be just like many other unreliable sources of information regarding this subject.

Philipp,

which books from Mr. Udalov and Mr. Rys do you mean or can you recommend?
Harry64.

I can recommend the following:

10 volumes of Myasishchev Encyclopedia, 3 volume Bartini and many separate books, like Izmailov Aircraft, Korchagin, Yakovlev, Antonov.

Antonio,

Thanks for the links of Udalov and Rys books. I would buy most of them immediately if there were a simple way of doing that like clicking on a link with Amazon. Unfortunately, in most of the links you posted, there are reviews of the books but no information on how to get them.

In the future, I recommend that authors and reviewers include where and how to get the books they are talking about. I am happy to support authors by buying their books, but they have to meet me halfway by giving me a way to buy them.

Richard

Richard,

That books can be purchased sending a PM to Marek Rys. Search for mrys.

I already purchased the Bartini Vol. 4. Mr Rys is a kind person.

Richard,

That books can be purchased sending a PM to Marek Rys. Search for mrys.

I already purchased the Bartini Vol. 4. Mr Rys is a kind person.
Thank you Antonio,

very interesting titles.

It's just a shame that none have been translated into English yet, or has it?

Dear friends!
Due to the May holidays in Russia, I react a little belatedly to the book "Unflow Wings" by the so-called authors of Gorodn and Komissarov and the opinions of some forum members about this book.
I completely agree with the criticism of the book and can only add pages from my books, completely copied from my books and books with my participation. In total, about 50 pages of text, drawings and illustrations were stolen:
4, 129, 130, 140, 254, 265, 268, 271, 294, 305-359 - the entire chapter from the Illustrated Encyclopedia of Myasishchev Aircraft, 359-362, 364-371 = from the Illustrated Encyclopedia of Antonov Aircraft, 1 volume ; 365-392 = from "Beriev's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Airplanes", 1 volume; 411, 500-504.
I want to say that neither Gordon nor Komissarov have NEVER asked me for permission to publish my materials.
It started back in 1995, when Komissarov stole from me a manuscript ready for printing from my house and published it under his own name, first in Russian, then with Gordon in England.
Here is the evidence that the police gave me. Here is the translation:
"Receipt.
I, Komissarov Dmitry Sergeevich, on my own initiative together with Mozhaeva A. I., Tsvetkov S. S. and Kataev E. B. unofficially and illegally released the book "Aircraft Il-76".
I know that this book was prepared by the Aviko Press publishing house together with the Ilyushin Design Bureau. The book was published in 2,000 copies and sold for 22,000 rubles. An additional circulation was planned. The initiator of this project was me, the publisher - A. Mozhaeva. 14.09.1995 ".
Analyzing other books by Gordon-Komissarov, one involuntarily ponders - is there at least one book written by them, but rewritten by other authors?
By the way, in many other books of these Russian Bonnie and Clyde, I found my works.
I am not at all surprised by their "creativity", I am amazed at how these two thieves from Russia became stars in the West.
Friends! I am sure some of you know them personally, please tell them that I will never give them permission to use my materials.
Now there are three volumes on Bartini's projects already published, please let me know if you see my and Marek's books published in England and using our work.
Thank you all for your support.
Yours sincerely, Ukon

Attachments

• Gordon and Komissarov.jpg
    Gordon and Komissarov.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Komissarov explinations.jpg
    Komissarov explinations.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 74
I just opened my copy of the Unflown Wings book, and I actually really like it if you asked me. And even better is that I finally found what the conventional design of the Tu-404 super jumbo would have looked like, and I'm not the least bit disappointed with what I saw and the book as a whole. To put it short, it was an excellent birthday present if I do say so myself.

Hi,

a very good effort of course,but I read up to chapter Ten,and now
I will not speak about main companies,but in lesser known designers,
that I reached from letter A to K,and I noticed those Projects were
missing;

- Bartini T-118,Aircraft-T,Aircraft-V,Aircraft-M
- Bereznyak-Isayev Aircraft-G
- Beriev some Projects
- Biesnovat Type-6
- BOK-6,BOK-10,BOK-11,BOK-12.BOK-13,BOK-14 & BOK-17
- Cheranovsky-Kurchyevski BICh fighter Project with DRP guns (not
BICh-17)
- Golubkov flying boat Project
- Gorbunov GSh two seat armored attacker aircraft Project
- Kazan many Projects
- Kharkov many Projects
- Korolyev some Projects
- Kurchyevski -Grushin APK armed fighter Project

Any corrections are welcome,and I will complete.

Last edited:
Hi,

missing;

- Beriev some Projects
- Biesnovat Type-6
BICh-17)
- Kazan many Projects
- Kharkov many Projects
- Korolyev some Projects

Any corrections are welcome,and I will complete.
And a lot more Bartini projects, mainly the large ekranoplans.

missing;

- Beriev some Projects
- Biesnovat Type-6
BICh-17)
- Kazan many Projects
- Kharkov many Projects
- Korolyev some Projects
Also,

- Lisunov TS-82,Li-2MT & Li-3 ?
- Some MAI Projects
- Nikitin IS-18
- Many Rafaelyants Projects
- Petlyakov some Projects
- G. C. Richard
- Ros-Aeroprogress many Projects
- Silvanski
- Tikhonravov I-302Sh
- Yermolayev Yer-4 & Yer-6

missing;

- Beriev some Projects
- Biesnovat Type-6
BICh-17)
- Kazan many Projects
- Kharkov many Projects
- Korolyev some Projects
Also,

- Lisunov TS-82,Li-2MT & Li-3 ?
- Some MAI Projects
- Nikitin IS-18
- Many Rafaelyants Projects
- Petlyakov some Projects
- G. C. Richard
- Ros-Aeroprogress many Projects
- Silvanski
- Tikhonravov I-302Sh
- Yermolayev Yer-4 & Yer-6
Hi,

generally,our works here ( SPF ) has a big influence in their book,and I suggest for them to
make a revised edition,I know that,it was published in 2016,but the lack of many Projects
effects on the final image.

Back
Top Bottom