Bartini and his Projects Vol. 4 by Konstantin Udalov and Marek Rys: Combat Ekranoplans

athpilot

Fly me to the moon...
Reaction score
Удалов К. Г., Рысь Марек

Бартини и его проекты. Том 4. Боевые экранопланы.

- Москва. 2021 г., 176 с.

ISBN: 978-5-4465-3169-1

Hi! I had the opportunity to read Konstantin Udalovs latest book of his publication series about Bartinis work and designs (this is Vol. 4). This time he covers the widely unknown military/combat ekranoplans. This is truly amazing stuff, which was mostly never published before! Here Udalov cooparates with Marek Rys again (and Jozef Gatial), so the perfect combination between Text, Information and Artwork is guaranteed. The last years of his life R.L. Bartini actively promoted the idea of vertically taking off amphibians (MVA62, VVA 14, VVA 80, etc.), as well as combat ekranoplanes of gigantic dimensions: T 500 in two versions, A 2000 in five versions and A 2500. These are this book is all about.
This book covers the following items: Two introductions, one by the author and one by the senior "Honorary Aircraft Builder" A.A. Pukhov (p. 4). This is followed by the intruding chapter called "on the joined of the elements". Here the design program and further background is described (pp. 5-11). Here we find interesting information about the contexts, more informations about the build ekranoplans (KM-1, Lun, Orlyenok) and the interaction with the west in the Cold War. One foto of the KM-1 shown, with an additional pair of jet engines above and behind the cockpit section (which was new to me). Then comes the "combat ekranoplans": first in line is the „screener“ Ekranoplan ["ekranolyet"] T-500. This is one of the smaller project desbribed, but what a beast it was! It was designed in 1974 and would have a length of 115m and a wingspan of 72m. The empty weight was 500tons. To me the most interesting designs are ekranoplan aircraft and helicopter carriers. What innovative designs they were. Here we have the A-2000 (pp. 24-89). It was also designed in 1974 and its mass was about 1000 tons. The A-2000-1 variant was 35m high and had a wingspan of 129m. Variant A-2000-2 was similar but had two more engines (10 in total). The variant A-2000-4 was meant to carry the MiG-23. Take-off and landing there must have bee a true adventure. On page 66 is an original drawing showing the storage and launching mechanism. The A-2000-5 could carry up to 8 MiGs in ist belly on a revolving mechanism. Other defensive and combat weapons (e.g. rocket launcher) are described in detail. Also the fuel and other systems are described by original documents. Other (sea-)planes, such as the T-58M (a Su-15 variant) or the P-42 "Harpoon", were also considered for use onboard. Other variants of the A-2000 design-family were propsed as highspeed landing vessels. They couls carry up to ten medium tanks and disembark them through side hatches. The fighting tactics against US carrier groups by these russian flying carriers are described too (pp. 74-82). A truly big fat giant was the ekranoplan carrier A-2500 design (pp. 90-117). It would have been 183m in total length and had up to three decks for the carrier-aircrafts. Probably it should carry the Su-27K or Su-33. Then comes the dual-use highspeed twin-helicopter OS-70, the "ocean rescueer". Marek Rys already showed one of this artworks here on SPF. It could be used for military or civil uses in a wide range. Text, original documents and artworks are really fantastic here. OS-70 was also designed in 1974 - a very productive year for the Bartini designs team indeed - and would have been up to 300 Km/h fast. Another "ocean rescueer" dual-use was the spasatyel ekranoplan (pp. 132-143) There were plans for a worldwide network for these rescue vehicles. It carried at least one Kamov-Helicopter in the belly and other rescue equipment. It was also intended to help submarines which may have catch fire far away from the homebase. One render shows a spasatyel ekranoplan nearby a Typhoon-class sub which is on fire (p. 133). A huge water fire-extinction system comes through on of the ekranoplan fins, a helicopter is rescuing the crew. Then comes another ekranoplan screener, the T-200 series (T-220-1 an T-200-2). It was a fast WIG with a huge antenna array on its back (pp. 144-157) in diffrent arragements. Another interesting dual-use ekranoplane was the YeKho-50 (pp. 158-168) It was a very river ferry or could be used as a military transporter.

We had some of these projects here on the forum and wondered, if they were real or fake and why the soviets would need such big WIGs. Now we know!

The last 5 pages contain some nice teasers of the follow-up books: moree volumes on Bartini and on Myasishchev, such as theM-52 transporter giants will be next up. This will be fun (again)!

Cheers and enjoy your reading.

Attachments

• Обложка-02.jpg
    Обложка-02.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Hello,

I also had the opportunity to read Konstantins latest book Bartini and his Projects Vol.4. I am impressed about it. It is a very good illustrated book about Bartinis Ekranoplans Projects. Marek made the Artwork for the book and Konstantin the text, so everybody who know that two, knows that this is a great work. So, it is a must have for every who is interested in Aviation Projects.
In the book there are lots of Projects which were never published before. So, lots of new things inside and all of them are real projects. Most of them when you see it in the book you will be shocked, because I don´t have seen before such big Ekranoplans.
Athpilot has made a very good overview of the book so I don´t want to go more in detail.

We also can look into a very interesting future because Konstantin and Marek will publish some more books this year.
I will congratulate both for that incredible work and I am looking forward for the next books.

I highly recommend the book to everybody who is interested in Projects.

Cheers and enjoy your reading!

Hi to all!

Today I had the opportunity to read the fourth volume of the collection “Bartini and his Projects”, written by our friend Konstantin Udalov and illustrated by the artist Marek Rys. This specific volume is devoted to the military ekranoplans developed by Bartini. The book show us a collection of never seen before projects, many of them spent decades as classified materials in Russian archives. It is important to say that this book took more than two years to be prepared, most of this time was necessary to collect and select documents from these archives. It gives us an insight of the genius mind of Roberto Bartini, how he was able to develop an entire fleet of “flying ships”, the machines known as Ekranoplans.
The book starts with a historical background about the ekranoplans, showing the designs of the big ground effect vehicles developed and built by Rostislav Alexeyev as well as concepts developed by other companies at the time. The next chapter is devoted to first huge ekranoplan developed by Bartini.
This machine was the T-500, and existed in two different configurations. Its main purpose was the strategic transport and deployment of military troops and cargo wherever needed. This ekranoplan already had the same general layout of the others which will come, with the engines mounted at the front part, a large central section and the middle/rear mounted wings and tail stabilizers.
The next project is the ekranoplan aircraft carrier A-2000. This enormous machine paved the way for Bartini’s concept of the flying carriers. The project A-2000 existed in five variants, differing from each other in size, number of engines and chemical or nuclear power. This chapter show us carefully restored documents, taken directly from the original technical descriptions, giving us a deep look at how these ekranoplans were meant to work. Being faster and almost ten times less expensive than conventional carriers, the A-2000 could represent a major breakthrough in naval warfare, even by today standards.
In the next chapter, we have a look at one the largest ekranoplans ever considered, the project A-2500. This project was the culmination of Bartini’s huge ekranoplans developments, being bigger and better equipped than the A-2000, with a true ocean-going capability. Rather than defensive and offensive weapons, this ekranoplan was also equipped with a very large hangar, which gives it the ability to operate almost all kind of naval aircraft of the time, including the AWACS Yakovlev 44, giving it the same level of technology used by the US carrier battle groups. This chapter also has many detailed documents and astonishing pictures.
The next project is the OS-70, a vehicle which combines the features of a helicopter, a seaplane and an ekranoplan. It was created as a high speed rescue vehicle, with all the benefits of the hovering capability of a helicopter, but also with a very high speed and greater versatility, something that was never accomplished before, considering the amount of innovations presented in a single aircraft.
Following the SAR vehicles developed by Bartini, the next project show us the Spasatel (rescuer) ekranoplan. Although Alekseyev also developed an ekranoplan with the same purposes, we can safely say that Bartini’s one was better advanced. Featuring the flying wing layout, it could transport a Kamov helicopter inside, and was also equipped with firefighting cannons mounted of the vertical stabilizers. Its general design was one of Bartini’s most advanced layouts, and, with a power plant consisting of six Progress D-18T engines, speed was not a problem, keeping in mind that time is a crucial factor in the missions it would face. It is important to say that only a single rough sketch and a short description of this ekranoplan existed, pushing the abilities of the artist Marek Rys to the limits. In the end, the incredible pictures reveal us a graceful machine, a truly piece of art.
The next one is the project T-200. This ekranoplan has two variants, and it was developed to use an AWACS system (airborne warning and control system). In my opinion, it is one of the most interesting ekranoplans of all time, with the capability of providing the location of aircraft and ships, making it the “eye” of Bartini’s flying fleet concept. The art job is again incredible, both variants were recreated using rough sketches, but with the advice of personnel from SibNIA Institute, providing key technical information that gives us the most accurate vision of it.
Now, we arrive at the final chapter. Once again, as always, Bartini can make us speechless.
The featured machine is the ECHO 50, a large hovercraft developed for both military and civilian purposes. As a development of surface effect vehicles, the ECHO 50 has high speed and high payload capability, making it an essential complement for a military navy and also in civilian cargo and passengers transport capabilities. Similar vehicles are present worldwide today, proving that Bartini theory of their use was very right.
This book was my favorite one written by Konstatin Udalov. After reading it, we have a clear view of how Bartini could have changed the world of transportation, making the ekranoplans humanity’s next step in naval transport. If I could give this book my own title, it would be “Rebuilding a Dream”.

Have a nice reading!!

Last edited:
Hi boxkite. I just returned from summer vacation in the middle of forest so I'am bit outdated :) Anyway - as I know second volume is in layout correction (delayed due some unexpected events) third is in progress :)

Attachments

• B3_wip.jpg
    B3_wip.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 142
:)

Can you tell something about the main topics of volume 2 and 3?

Can you tell something about the main topics of volume 2 and 3?
Yes. Second volume include:

- unknown series of jet flying boats project (six variants)
- I-110 modification "Coyote"
- MRD record plane - four variants
- T-107 transport plane
- T-117 transport plane in few variants
- T-118 bomber
- T-200 transport plane - six variants
- T-210 transport plane
- T-217 transport plane in four variants.
- heavy, three-engined ramjet missile

Third volume vill include series of A- bombes (A-55, A-56, A-57) in many variants and also many side projects as F-57, R-57, R-55, M-6, M-60 etc. List in not closed yet.

Not a perfect solution, but it can get you most of the way there. I have an iPhone and use the Google Translate Photo app. You use your phone and the app to take a picture of the text to be translated. It processes the photo text into the text of the language you have selected. It works very well with text on my tablet computer screen since it is perfectly flat and well lit. It is more difficult on books or magazines since they have curvature at the binding and the lighting has to be good. The app is something that would come in handy if you visit a country where you need to translate all the signs and text you see.

Back
Top Bottom