Soviet and Russian Military Aircraft in the Middle East & Africa - two new books

gatoraptor

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I'm puzzled about the identity of the next Hikoki book by Crecy to be written by that famous team of Yefim Gordon and Dmitriy Komissarov.

Amazon lists the book, for April release, as being titled Soviet and Russian Military Aircraft in the Middle East: Air Arms, Equipment and Conflicts Since 1955, but both the cover art shown and the book description refer to Africa instead of the Middle East! And, of course, Crecy's website does not show a book under either title. As Africa and the Middle East overlap somewhat (Egypt, for instance, belongs to both), I'm not sure what we're dealing with here.

Does anyone know if, in fact, they are doing two separate books? If so, any idea when the other book is to release?

Attachments

• Soviet Russian Africa.jpg
    Soviet Russian Africa.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 362
Well, I got my answer, it's going to be two books indeed, and according to Amazon, they are both to be available in mid-September. They should invite interesting comparison with the Harpia books that, to some extent, cover the same subject. Here's the other cover; sorry about the lousy scan:

Attachments

• Soviet Russian Middle East.jpg
    Soviet Russian Middle East.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 287
Ohhhh ... and there's already a "hot" debate on weather these two will be most of all "copies" of Tom Cooper's/Harpia Publishing books on the same opic ! :eek:

Deino said:
Ohhhh ... and there's already a "hot" debate on weather these two will be most of all "copies" of Tom Cooper's/Harpia Publishing books on the same opic ! :eek:
It's worth noting that the Harpia books only cover MiG (and in some cases also Sukhoi) fighters whereas the Hikoki books will clearly cover all Soviet and Russian types, so there will be some new material for sure.

gatoraptor said:
Deino said:
It's worth noting that the Harpia books only cover MiG (and in some cases also Sukhoi) fighters whereas the Hikoki books will clearly cover all Soviet and Russian types, so there will be some new material for sure.

That's not correct ! The series was called "African MiG" since a MiG stands - or at least stood for long - as the Russian aircrfat itself. All th books within this series cover well Sukhoi, Nanchang and even Hongdu aircraft as well ... as such I will be eagerly looking for what kind of new material will be included.

For that tread I noted see here (After sign in):
http://www.acig.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6905

Deino

Maybe so, but I don't believe the Harpia books included other types, such as bombers, trainers and transports, and I think the new books will include all of that.

For anyone wanting to know about the fighters, both sets of books may prove to be invaluable, and hopefully not too repetitious. But only time will tell.

Now Amazon website shows there will be 2 books for "Africa" and " the Middle East" respectively.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1902109279/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
http://www.amazon.com/Soviet-Russian-Military-Aircraft-Middle/dp/1902109287/ref=pd_sim_b_2

gatoraptor said:
Maybe so, but I don't believe the Harpia books included other types, such as bombers, trainers and transports, and I think the new books will include all of that.

For anyone wanting to know about the fighters, both sets of books may prove to be invaluable, and hopefully not too repetitious. But only time will tell.

You think or You know ???

An advert I've seen (in Aeroplane Monthly's 2013 Airshow guide) features a future third book covering South East Asia too.

Here's the cover of the forthcoming Asia book. They say this is no. 3 of 3, but at least some Soviet equipment did make its way to the Americas.

Attachments

• Soviet Russian Asia.jpg
    Soviet Russian Asia.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 60
Back
Top Bottom