Unbuilt ASW/MARPAT versions of airliners?

From Aviation Week 1977 1-9 a Boeing derivative of the 727, still 3 engined, but
with the tail side mounted engines moved to pods under the wings. Any explanation
why ? Lower noise level in the cabin, for a better acoustic environment ? ???
But the 727 was one of the quietest cabins of all the airliners, the compressor whine was easily damped out...

Maybe to make the aircraft more resistant to damage, as most events that would take out engine(s) would only get one?

Is that 6x Maverick and 6x Harpoon, all carried externally?!?

I think it's actually 8x Harpoon and 4x Maverick. Possibly the Longhorn Maverick version with a turbojet engine -- it looks like there is an inlet on top of the missile fuselage.

Color version from National Archives
Still you should understand that this is nothing more than artist's imagination, and not a real Lockheed proposal

Attachments

• DF-SC-85-01219.jpeg
    DF-SC-85-01219.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 140
...Still you should understand that this is nothing more than artist's imagination, and not a real Lockheed proposal

Gordon Phillips' artwork comes up a lot in Air Force and Space Digest articles. Anyone know if he was a USAF artist?

Gordon Phillips' artwork comes up a lot in Air Force and Space Digest articles. Anyone know if he was a USAF artist?

I wonder if he was the same Gordon Phillips mentioned at this link. The dates seem right, but the subject matter is different. I vaguely recall that we've seen some other Western art with the same signature elsewhere on this site.

If so, the aircraft art could be examples of commercial art done for hire, probably by the aircraft manufacturers.

Edit: My mistake; the artist I was thinking of is Allen A. Adams.

Last edited:
I'd want different engines for that, but the general layout is definitely usable for ASW.
When Boeing 727s proved too loud for newer noise-abatement laws, there were a couple of proposals to re-engine them with fan jets. The complex ducting prevented replacing the center engine.
At least one proposal suggested replacing side engines with large-diameter fan jets.

When Boeing 727s proved too loud for newer noise-abatement laws, there were a couple of proposals to re-engine them with fan jets. The complex ducting prevented replacing the center engine.
At least one proposal suggested replacing side engines with large-diameter fan jets.
And that was after they'd been re-engined once already with quieter engines that had a mixing area surrounded with noise absorbers after the turbines.

The Dee Howard Tay re-engining addressed that by increasing the cross-section of the fore and aft duct sections, but with a constrained intermediate section to accelerate the airflow.

The Dee Howard Tay re-engining addressed that by increasing the cross-section of the fore and aft duct sections, but with a constrained intermediate section to accelerate the airflow.
I never saw those, place I worked at took care of FedEx and Northwest Airlines 727s (among lots and lots of others). And I'm not sure that was a particularly good swap, the JT8D-200 series engines used in the hush kits had significantly more power.

With two larger fuselage mount nacelles...might the hollow tail for the missing third engine have some type of optics package or something?

An airborne laser really needs that position instead of hacking at the nose as with the 747.

The 727 is quite agile for its size...it really needs some military application. Canards in the nose?

I was fortunate enough to have ridden in one and it was a real joy---as opposed to other tri-jets that rode like trucks.

With two larger fuselage mount nacelles...might the hollow tail for the missing third engine have some type of optics package or something?

An airborne laser really needs that position instead of hacking at the nose as with the 747.

The 727 is quite agile for its size...it really needs some military application. Canards in the nose?

I was fortunate enough to have ridden in one and it was a real joy---as opposed to other tri-jets that rode like trucks.
If they're turning it into an MPA, then the Magnetic anomaly detector gear gets installed in place of the 3rd engine, with sonobuoys in place of the rear airstairs.

Maritime patrol version mainly for environmental surveillance, I assume? The Microwave radiometer suggests weather applications.

Maritime patrol version mainly for environmental surveillance, I assume? The Microwave radiometer suggests weather applications.
Yes
The equipment is identical to the Do 228 LM, used by the German Navy for pollution control and enforcement of the maritime pollution convention.
The German Wikipedia article on the plane is very detailed and describes the use and origin of most of the devices.

Attachments

• Do228LM.png
    Do228LM.png
    616.5 KB · Views: 70

I thought this had been covered before but cannot find it with Search. So, ...

In 1986, when Boeing owned de Havilland Canada, they offered two maritime patrol DHC-8 derivatives dubbed Triton. These were a short-bodied DHC-8-200 airframe-based general maritime patrol aircraft and the longer-bodied Dash 8M-300ASW. The Dash 8-200 was similar in appearance to the DHC-8-102-based Canadian Forces CC-142 nav trainer with its extended nose radar modification.

For the ASW role, Triton would be fitted with 4 x underwing pylons and 2 x fuselage-side hardpoints - for Harpoon (or Exocet) ASMs. The aircraft was to have an underbelly radome for search radar and a MAD tailboom. Carrying maximum fuel, Triton endurance was to be over 11 hours.

Boeing Canada pitched their Triton to replace the aged Canadian Forces Grumman CP-121 Tracker fleet on fisheries protection and maritime patrol. But DND intended to upgrade the CP-121s (including turboprop conversions). Instead, in 1990, the CP-121s were withdrawn from service without direct replacement. By then, Boeing Canada had already abandoned the Triton and was trying to sell off DHC.

Back
Top Bottom