Tank (Focke-Wulf) Ta 283 ramjet-powered fighter

Less impressive than Josef Gatial's work of course, but historically interesting, this 1958 painting by Th. Fassig, showing four aircraft from two distinct Ta 283 projects:

Attachments

• Ta 283 artwork (1958) small.jpg
    Ta 283 artwork (1958) small.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 1,213
Some years ago I have done a lot of pictures of this plane. I knew it only as Ta Fighter (its bigger brother was Ta Bomber). Was this plane version of Ta 283?

Attachments

• TaFighter_poster.jpg
    TaFighter_poster.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 910
I found in my archives and as you can see some of pictures passed away

Note: Last one picture is so damaged already on my storage. I presented it only as sample that time is going on and full version of picture is lost

Attachments

• Ta283_03.jpg
    Ta283_03.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 862
  • Ta283_18.jpg
    Ta283_18.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 838
  • Ta283_19.jpg
    Ta283_19.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 149
  • Ta283_20.jpg
    Ta283_20.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 192
And mysterious Ta Bomber

Attachments

• TaBomber_07.jpg
    TaBomber_07.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 218
  • TaBomber_06.jpg
    TaBomber_06.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 232
  • TaBomber_02.jpg
    TaBomber_02.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 235
Model of Ta Bomber is based on single poor sketch (handly made). I saw it on net and it is in David Myhra's books, too. Do we know history of that sketch?

The handwriting under the printing "Bez." (short for "Bezeichnung" = designation) may indeed
say "Strahlschnellbomber" (Fast jet bomber), but it's quite difficult to read. "F" may stand for
wing area (134 m²), given, too is "F1" as 10 m², and F/F1 as 13.4. Mathematically correct, but in
the moment, I have no idea, what F1 actually is. Maybe the area of the tailplane ? "GST" could be
"Startgewicht" /take-off weight (25,000 kg) and another weight data (G) is given as 20,000 kg,
obviously used for calculating wing loading, which is quite correctly given as 150 kg/m².
Fuel could have been 8,000 kg and bomb load 3,000 kg.
The sketch is drawn on a "Festigkeitsberechnungblatt" (sheet for stress analyses. It obviously
isn't that, but to my opinion a just very rough calculation of an enlarged derivative of the Ta 283.

Very interesting document; I have never heard about this one. Seems to be original and no fake. Jemiba, thanks for analyzing the numbers. I think your assumptions are correct. Although Focke Wulf had its own ramjet program (via Dr. Otto Papst) it would make little sense to install ramjets as propulsion for a subsonic (or transsonic) bomber (even for a "Schnellbomber"). Perhaps the ramjet was to be combined with a turbojet (like Leduc).

newsdeskdan said:
Can I add something upsetting to this thread?

If it's of that scope and quality, you can add upsetting stuff all over the forum as far as I'm concerned!!!

newsdeskdan said:
Anyway, here's my list. If you know of any more (and have the documents to prove it), please let me know!

May I suggest that you start a new topic in the "Designation Systems" section for these? They'd get a much better exposure there and it would make future searching and updating easier I think.

Again a million thanks newsdeskdan for your most valuable contributions.

Amazing list Newsdeskdan,

please can you complete the Nr list,and thanks.

Hi!

http://www.luft46models.com/manufacturers/fw/fwta283.php

The first drawing is the original one. How about the second drawing?
You can see Otto Pabst ram jet engine and Walter HWK 109-509 rocket booster at the tail of the aircraft.

Japanese site.
http://www.jttk.zaq.ne.jp/baabb103/Ta283.html

Attachments

• Ta213.jpg
    Ta213.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 296
  • fwta283x.jpg
    fwta283x.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 287
You can see Pabst ram jet engine explanation here.
https://books.google.co.jp/books?id=eJ7oCAAAQBAJ&pg=PA243&lpg=PA243&dq=Otto+Pabst+ramjet+engine&source=bl&ots=YAq_TijVA4&sig=9DF75QzsSA988IwiK08h64NMDqg&hl=ja&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj0xtz3hqLNAhWEppQKHZkLCL0Q6AEIJjAC#v=onepage&q=Otto%20Pabst%20ramjet%20engine&f=false

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 237
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 245
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 311
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 307
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 329
Justo Miranda said:
Source: Paul Malmassari collection.

All from the same scrappy notebook. Paul Malmassari version attached for comparison.

Attachments

• Source.jpg
    Source.jpg
    636.7 KB · Views: 145
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 135
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    863.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    921.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 151
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 156
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 165
In Luftwaffe: Secret Projects of the Third Reich, Dan Sharp notes on page 61 that Ta 283 is merely a fictional designation for the Focke-Wulf Strahlrohrjäger stemming from Nr 283 for the Strahlrohrjäger. I remember that the alleged designation Fw 226 for the Focke-Wulf Flitzer come from the digits 226 in the drawing number 0310 226 for the Flitzer designs, so the Focke-Wulf Strahlrohrjäger, like the Flitzer, never had an RLM designation assigned to it.

I'm not an engineer and I don't play one on TV (but I did sleep once at a Holiday Inn Express - If you are American you might remember the commercial advertisement and get the joke), but the design of this airplane seems to me would be tail heavy: 1. you have the engines way in the back and 2. If you hope to not have the engines tear off those mounts you would have to really reinforce them (ie make them heavy as well). Am I missing something here? (Always willing to learn something new!)

Those ram jets may not be very heavy, but that aft fuselage sure looks thin. I worry that asymmetric thrust might bend or break that slender fuselage.

I think that at the end of the War, the less traditional and sound your design was, the more likely you were to get funding...

Most of these birds weren't much more advanced than the proverbial Drawing on a napkin after a few pints of Schnaps at the Air Show.

Warning!
Speculation!
Perhaps they intended to use one ram-jet for cruise and both for combat.
Though it would make more sense to install both engines close to the centre-line.
Warning!
Speculation!