IIRC enhanced Neutron Flux was the reason why the weapons inside SPRINT and SPARTAN were literally gold plated.

Only the Spartan's W71 had gold in its secondary and that was to ensure a specific X-ray flux was generated when it detonated. The Sprint's W66 was basically an ER warhead aka a neutron-bomb.

I just stumbled across this newly uploaded video copy of a 1980s General Dynamics Pomona Division film to do with the Standard Missile.

1980's film about early US Navy surface-to-air missile development leading up to the RIM-66 / RIM-67 Standard Missile and AGM-78 Standard ARM. Nice footage of the Terrier, Tartar, and Standard Missile. General Dynamics - Pomona

I was just checking my smartphone and looking on the Google homepage when this very interesting news article appeared:

US Navy warships shot down Iranian missiles with a weapon they've never used in combat before

We already know that some of the USN's missile cruisers stationed near Israel shot down some of the cruise-missiles and MRBMs fired at Israel by Iran with this being the combat debut of the SM-3 however no information yet as how many if any of the SM-3s fired intercepted a ballistic missile.

1. US Navy warships fired SM-3s to intercept Iranian ballistic missiles last weekend.
  2. Secretary of the Navy Carlos Del Toro confirmed the use of the SM-3 during a Tuesday hearing.
  3. It's the first time that the exo-atmospheric interceptor has been used in combat.
US Navy warships used a missile interceptor for the first time in combat over the weekend while defending Israel from an unprecedented Iranian attack.

Secretary of the Navy Carlos Del Toro said American forces fired the Standard Missile 3, or SM-3, to engage Iranian ballistic missiles that were fired as part of the massive barrage, which included more than 300 missiles and drones launched from Tehran and its proxies.

"We've been firing SM-2s, we've been firing SM-6s, and just over the weekend, SM-3s, to actually counter the ballistic missile threat that's come from Iran," Del Toro said at a Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense hearing on Tuesday.

From the SM-3 wikipedia article:

Missile Defence

The first use of the SM-3 in combat occurred during the 2024 Iranian strikes in Israel. USS Carney and USS Arleigh Burke used four to seven missiles[49] to shoot down at least six Iranian ballistic missiles.[50]

As far as I know there's no indication whether the SM-3s fired were Block-IBs or Block-IIs

Last edited:
Do they still use IAs?

Very unlikely, according to the SM-3 wiki article in the variants section the Block-IA was the initial operational variant:
  • 1-color seeker
  • Solid divert attitude control system (SDACS)
Which was followed by the Block-IB variant in 2010:

Passed critical design review on 13 July 2009.
  • 2-color IIR seeker
  • Throttleable divert attitude control system (TDACS)
  • All-reflective optics
  • Advanced signal processor
Any Block-IA rounds that hadn't been fired in development tests would've been sent back to Raytheon in 2010 to be upgraded to the Block-IB variant.

Last edited:
As far as I know there's no indication whether the SM-3s fired were Block-IBs or Block-IIs
My guess would be Block 1Bs, not Block 2A. older and less capable, but also more easily replaced because the rockets are older.

My guess would be Block 1Bs, not Block 2A. older and less capable, but also more easily replaced because the rockets are older.

Good points BUT I could see at least one Block-2A being firing just to see how it performs in an actual combat situation, a trial by fire.

Good points BUT I could see at least one Block-2A being firing just to see how it performs in an actual combat situation, a trial by fire.
I'd be surprised if there are any in the theater. Is it even done with testing? Pretty sure they only have a handful at this point.

Is it even done with testing? Pretty sure they only have a handful at this point.

It's possible there might've been one or two onboard, from the RIM-161 wikipedia article:

On 16 November 2022, the guided-missile destroyer Maya fired an SM-3 Block IIA missile, successfully intercepting the target outside the atmosphere in the first launch of the missile from a Japanese warship.

That test firing was about 18 months ago so the RIM-161D could be in limited operational service, the USN no doubt wants to see it combat tested ASAP.

It has been "bloodied" now if reports are correct.

Anyone ever hid a warhead in a nose-cone hoping to be ignored? For larger missiles.

Anyone ever hid a warhead in a nose-cone hoping to be ignored? For larger missiles.
“Hmmm that contact is on a trajectory towards our airbase should we intercept it?”

“Nah, it’s just a nosecone.”

I don’t know if this has specifically been done but pen aids are fairly common with even smaller systems like Iskander deploying small rf decoys. The question of employment depends on how much spare throw/maneuvering bus weight you have.

There’s some fantastically complex pen-aid schemes in existence almost none of which we know anything more than rough outlines of.

with even smaller systems like Iskander deploying small rf decoys.

RF penaids like those carried by the SS-26 Stone wouldn't work against the SM-3's EKV as it uses a two-colour IIR seeker not an RF-seeker.

Last edited:
RF penaids like those carried by the SS-26 Stone wouldn't against the SM-3's EKV as it uses a two-colour IIR seeker not an RF-seeker.
They wouldn’t but to my knowledge they’re also only for terminal stage though solely RF decoys could mess with cuing.

It’s a moot point because I don’t think the 9K720 has an apogee above the minimum SM-3 engagement altitude.

Something that occurred earlier today is that there's already been an opportunity for the USN to combat test the SM-3 Block-II and that's in the Red Sea intercepting ballistic missiles launched by Houthi terrorists.

Something that occurred earlier today is that there's already been an opportunity for the USN to combat test the SM-3 Block-II and that's in the Red Sea intercepting ballistic missiles launched by Houthi terrorists.
Those are far shorter range than the missiles Iran used in their attack. As such, if they ever do enter SM-3 engagement envelopes, cuing in time to hit them would be difficult.

Terminal interception is about all you can realistically do in that situation on the BMD side.

You wouldn't waste an SM-3 on that sky trash.

Those are probably too low of an altitude for SM-3 even if it was desirable. SM-6 apparently has been used there.

Here's an interesting video from the Naval News channel concerning several Raytheon projects including the SM-6:

Interview with Gerry Hueber, requirements and capabilities' vice president for the naval power business at Raytheon, during Sea Air Space 2024.
Hueber sheds light on the following topics:
01:29 - SM-6 including its latest at-sea test with the MDA
02:51 - ESSM Block 2
03:37 - Australia's Guided Weapons Explosive Ordnance Enterprise
04:45 - Challenges to ramping up missile production in the US

Last edited:
I think this is the right thread to post it in anyway here's this interesting Defense Updates video about the USN re-arming at sea:

There has been a lingering concern regarding the inability to reload missiles in US warships at sea.Currently, the warships have to return to base for this purpose.
This issue has again come into focus with the US Navy’s recent operations in the Red Sea.Arleigh Burke-class destroyers had fired more than 100 Standard family surface-to-air missiles from Mk-41 cells at Houthi missiles and drones for interception.This clearly indicates that against a near-peer adversary like China, in a large-scale conflict, frontline American warships could run off of missiles very quickly.
In this video, Defense Updates analyzes why Congress is pushing the US Navy on ‘At-Sea’ rearmament ?
Chapters:
00:11 INTRODUCTION
01:42 Mk-41 VLS RELOAD
03:13 CONCERN RAISED
04:02 US NAVY’s EFFORTS
05:42 TRAM (Transportable Re-Arming Mechanism )
07:10 ANALYSIS

Last edited:
Defense Updates has just uploaded a video concerning the recent test-firing of a PAC-3 MSE interceptor from a Mk-70 containerised launcher:

Lockheed Martin has test-fired a Patriot PAC-3 MSE interceptor from a Mk 70-series containerized launcher and used it to down a mock cruise missile. A modular and scalable version of the company's combat-proven Aegis Combat System called the Virtualized Aegis Weapon System, was used to execute the launch.This has the potential to be a game changer since this combination offers a valuable additional air and missile defense option for use in a slew of existing and future launchers, and not just on ships.
In this video, Defense Updates analyzes why the test-fire of an Patriot PAC-3 MSE interceptor from an Mk 70 launcher is a crucial development?
Chapters:
00:11 INTRODUCTION
01:41 LOCKHEED MARTIN INSIGHTS
02:48 PATRIOT PAC-3 MSE INTERCEPTOR
04:21 MK 70 PAYLOAD DELIVERY SYSTEM
05:30 VIRTUALIZED AEGIS WEAPON SYSTEM
06:50 ANALYSIS

Last edited:
Wasn't there a DARPA program in the 1980s to shoot down Soviet bombers with ballistic missiles? I wonder if the SM-6 could do something like that?

Question is, is this sperate to SM-6 IB or is it part of the same development?
Separate for now with the intention to joining the program in the future. They are demonstrating a proprietary fuel/motor which, according to their data, would give increased performance compared to the existing MHI 21" stage used by the current 1B. Specifically, they are seeking to demonstrate performance in a fleet area air defense mission profile. If the Navy likes what they see, they would be in the running for future SM-6 blocks. Block IB's motor is unlikely to change as it would A) mean a delay before production and B) complicate things with Japan who is a partner and customer on the program.

Separate for now with the intention to joining the program in the future. They are demonstrating a proprietary fuel/motor which, according to their data, would give increased performance compared to the existing MHI 21" stage used by the current 1B. Specifically, they are seeking to demonstrate performance in a fleet area air defense mission profile. If the Navy likes what they see, they would be in the running for future SM-6 blocks. Block IB's motor is unlikely to change as it would A) mean a delay before production and B) complicate things with Japan who is a partner and customer on the program.
Is it GPI related?

If the THAAD-ER is approved for production that's the combination I'd suggest.
I'm sure LockMart has a competing plan, though it may share a few components. I'd fully expect it to use the Mk72 booster, for example, if not the 21" Standard motor.

Also, I changed my mind. I want the entire SM3Blk2A booster stack with the THAAD KV on top. Mk72 booster, whatever they're calling the 21" SM3/6 rocket motor, and the Mk136 kicker stage. Won't be quite as fast as the SM3Blk2A because the THAAD KV is heavier than the LEAP on the SM3, but otherwise it's going to be mean. ~1000km range and max altitude.

Not sure if the Navy will like it, though. Doesn't the THAAD KV use a liquid-propellant DACS? USN does NOT like liquid propellant rockets onboard ship, so if we're going to try to pass this off as a Standard it'd need the PAC-3MSE KV.

I want the entire SM3Blk2A booster stack with the THAAD KV on top. Mk72 booster, whatever they're calling the 21" SM3/6 rocket motor, and the Mk136 kicker stage.

This is the combination I've thought of too and I think it would be awesome.

Doesn't the THAAD KV use a liquid-propellant DACS?

I think so however if that's an issue with the USN then replace it with a modified version of the TDACS used in the SM-3 Block-IB/II.

On another note Periscope Films has just uploaded this video showing a 60s film concerning the three Ts - Terrier, Tales and Tartar:

The US Navy :)19) presents this film "Ready Now and Ready for Tomorrow", about the three T’s; the Terrier, Talos and Tartar surface to air missile systems, as well as other ship-borne missile systems including Sea Sparrow. This film begins with footage of innovations achieved following WWII. The US Navy sought to better prepare the ships for the world of tomorrow based upon the wars of the past. (Note: This film won a special gold medal award for ‘Best Picture of a National Theme’ as part of the International Film and TV 1968 film and TV Festival of New York.)
It opens with sea to air, anti-aircraft combat footage from WWII :)54). White hot tracer bullets from AA guns fire at Kamikazes during the close of the Second World War. (1:09). A kamikaze zips by close to the camera (1:30) exploding on impact (1:33). Black smoke clouds fill the ship’s deck (1:40). The Navy played a vital role in winning the Second World War. Helicopters peel from an aircraft carrier deck (2:16). A good shot shows Navy soldiers carrying machine guns (2:27). Soldiers wade through deep waters (2:34). A boat cuts through the waters with the gunner at his position (2:49). A Navy doctor delivers a baby an inoculation (2:51). Navy task force at sea (3:16) as the narrator mentions the Navy sought to cover four oceans. The Douglas A-4 Skyhawk zips off (3:25). Sailors flash signals by Aldis lamp (3:30). Weapon systems of the vessels were updated (3:53) as enemy aircraft could now travel at supersonic speeds (4:04). Crew members operate advanced detection devices (4:13). A radar dish (4:22) following signs of enemy craft. An alarm is sounded and the crew grabs helmets (4:44) and man battle stations. A missile is sent off the ship deck (5:08). The airborne target is pictured as a ball of flames in the sky (5:38). Various long range ballistic missiles appear (5:47). Operation Bumblebee (5:51) was a postwar effort to develop surface to air missiles for the Navy. The program delivered the RIM-2 Terrier, RIM-24 Tartar and the RIM-8 Talos (6:12). These were ramjet powered missiles. A solid fuel rocket booster and ramjet engine propels the missile (6:21). A radar system guides the missile to its target (6:34). A good shot shows the empty case falling from the base at booster burnout (6:41). One of the seven cruisers of the fleet appears (6:53) carrying the Talos system (6:57). The Terrier missile system was first introduced in 1956 (7:03). Missiles stick out on the ship at 26 feet long (7:08). One is fired out (7:10). An aerial shot shows the missile shooting from the cruiser deck (7:25). The second portion of the stage is known as the sustainer (7:42). The target is hit here (7:48). This weapons program was to arm 39 warships (7:53). A destroyer rides alongside a cruiser (8:02). Two Tartar missiles shoot up and ready themselves for fire (8:30) on a heavy cruiser. The fifteen foot missiles had a range of 15 miles. The narrator mentions Tartar was also serving Italy, France, Australia, Spain and Japan (8:53). One is fired from the ship deck (8:59). Two of the eighty ships in the service missile fleet appear (9:07). A destroyer (9:13) is pictured carrying the usual anti-submarine warfare weapons. A frigate is pictured (9:25). These were now as large as carriers of WWII (9:25). A cruiser fires off a guided missile (9:29). Point defense is explained (9:39). The launcher is pictured (9:54) holding eight Sea Sparrow missiles. The operator works to center the aim dot on the radar display (10:09). A Sea Sparrow is fired (10:19). A ship is hit and explodes (10:23). The camera pans around the aircraft carrier Enterprise (10:32). A missile shoots up from the deck (10:44). Rear Admiral Gralla (10:55) appears. Commanding Officer Oscar Dreyer is pictured in his office (11:11) at the Naval ship missile systems engineering station at Port Hueneme of California. Engineers provide logistical support to the guided missile fleet (11:22). A missile is lifted by crane (11:29). A standard missile aims directly at the camera (11:58). Standards were interchangeable between terrier and tartar. Another standard missile is fired from the ship deck (12:28). The USS Norton Sound appears (12:40). It was commissioned for weapons research in 1964. She first launched the Sea Sparrow in 1965. Ships burn in the water in WWII (13:14). Guided missiles are aimed (13:37). Crew are pictured hard at work in the plotting room (13:49). The Weapons Officer (13:52) selects a missile which is fired shortly after (14:01). Screenplay and production for this film was completed by William Nash (14:44). Planes explode and missiles are fired off as the film concludes with the credits (14:59).

We know that Ursa, X-Bow and Aerojet Rocketdyne¹ did get contracts for the MK 104 DTRM but what is new (to me atleast) is that X-Bow is also working on an MK.72 SRM².

¹https://www.c4isrnet.com/battlefiel...-to-build-rocket-motor-prototype-for-us-navy/
²https://spacenews.com/x-bow-to-develop-solid-rocket-motors-for-u-s-navy-standard-missiles/

I'm wondering is there much information out their concerning the RGM-66F AShM that was a backup to the Harpoon AShM?