South African prototypes, projects, concepts, etc.

Frank111

Observe
Reaction score
Anyone have further information on the RG-41 APC? Would like to see that with the LCT-30 turrent on. :)

stimpy75

Happy Happy,Joy Joy
Reaction score
is thatt the iraqi "version"?the one with 2 different gun calibers?i believe one was 210mm?

panzerskool

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Al Fao in 210 and 155mm. Geralds Bulls first attempt at 6X6 highly mobile SP

leo.nap

Gift
Reaction score
I don't know what kind of vehicle it is.

Photo was taken In Port Elizabeth in 1986.

Attachments

Graugrun

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Two articles covering both the Husky and Springbuck vehicles developed and made by DCD - it covers the new development and new versions of both vehicles, hence me placing them here. The Husky is one of our military vehicle export success stories, with over 1500 sold - most to the U.S. military. It has even been made into 1/35 scale plastic kit models (by AFV Club and Panda-Hobby).

http://www.janes.com/article/81812/militaries-eye-second-generation-husky-mine-detection-vehicles

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52429:explosive-demonstration-for-dcd-vehicles&catid=50:Land&Itemid=105

Attachments

robunos

You're Mad, You Are.....
Reaction score
Levan Pozvonkyan said:
I don't know what kind of vehicle it is.

Photo was taken In Port Elizabeth in 1986.
Reminds of the Krimpvark, shown in 'Surviving the Ride' . . .

KRIMPVARK

"Anticipating a need in the civilian market place for a small armoured vehicle to be used by farmers, security companies, local authorities, mining companies and other industries in high-risk areas in remote rural parts of South Africa, Koos de Wet and Bert Sabatier designed a range of vehicles based on the ordinary commercial 1 ton pickups available in the market place.
Design work on the Krimpvark began in early October 1985 and was built by Afrit in Rosslyn, the marketing arm of Van de Wetering engineerings contractor of Armscor.
The Krimpvark was available in either a three- or five-seater version.
A lot of attention was given to the comfort of the passengers in this civilian armoured vehicle. The cabin was air-conditioned and the whole interior carpeted. Ample entrance was provided by two safety doors, one on each side of the cabin and a rear door for the five seater.
Emphasis was placed on removing the aggressive military appearance of the mine protected cabin by providing a soft outward appearance. The cabin design of the Krimpvark ensured protection against antitank mines and small-arms fire up to 7.62 mm ball ammunition.
The Krimpvark was designed to be mounted on almost any make of pickup truck available in the market in South Africa at the time. It was a two-wheel-drive vehicle capable of a top speed of 110 km/h on tarred roads. It was offered in either a 2 litre petrol-driven engine or a 2.2 litre diesel engine. The big advantage of using a standard proven drive train was the ease of availability of the spare parts and servicing through national dealer networks. There were plans for future versions of the Krimpvark to include a four-wheel drive, three-seater with a load-carrying facility, but the Krimpvark sales were not as anticipated and only very few were manufactured and no further development was carried out.
Krimpvark is the Afrikaans word for hedgehog."

My bold, words and image from 'Surviving the Ride'

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

61M

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
Does anyone have some info on this pic?
Looks like a Ratel 81 with a 120mm tube.

Attachments

61M

Reaction score
Looks legit to me. That's how you would do a test fire of a new setup. (notice no firing crew in the ratel) I cant ID the mortar though. Looks like it has lugs on the tube.
From the back-round it looks like a stock Ratel 81 somewhere in the ME (maybe Jordan)

kaiserbill

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Yes..Rooikat instructional with cutaway.
If that is your pic, what is that large vehicle right behind that Rooikat?

Herman

Reaction score
Reply to post 1738.
This is the SA version of the Spaninsh Kynos Aljaba. It is used in various versions in SA, i.e. the Kameelperd gunnery control vehicle, the Zebra maintenance and repair vehicle, a bridgelayer, a heavy recovery vehicle (Skimmel), etc. I find it difficult to reconsile this thing with the Skerpioen truck. They seem to fill the same the same niche? Why buy the Aljaba if you have developed the Skerpioen?

Graugrun

Reaction score
This news has been out for a few days now - a IHS Janes article on the RG-41, that perhaps should have been the Ratel replacement instead of the winning Patria AMV, that has become the Badger.

I'm not sure why they are suddenly offering it now - some foreign interest I presume..?

https://www.janes.com/article/83335/denel-s-rg41-8-8-adds-firepower-with-new-modular-combat-turret

Attachments

kaiserbill

Reaction score
Not perhaps..the RG41 should have been the Ratel replacement, carrying forth Denels initial investment in Project Hoefyster.
We all now know the political and other "aspects" to the Patria selection, and the shenanigans regarding the sudden changes in the selection processes and times.

61M

Reaction score
Some post 93 gov (and SANDF) individuals put personal gain ahead of the local defence industry many times.
RG-41 being ITAR free was probably designed from the get-go for the foreign ( ME) market.

Looks like the old ATE remote turret is still alive in Romania. Who knew.

Attachments

Herman

Reaction score
Reply to post #1742

I recently read that production of the Badger has been stopped due to financial problems?

61M

Reaction score
Denel has cash flow problems despite having a healthy order book. So they cannot pay their subcontractors for the Hoefyster rollout.
Familiar signs of financial mismanagement prevalent in in SA's SOE's

Herman

Reaction score
Reply to post #1742

Let's face it: SA does not need the Badger but but neither does it need the RG41. It would have been fine with upgraded Ratels. Even unmodified but well-maintained Ratels would have been OK. If they really wanted to spend some money, the Ilkwa (sp.?) modification would have been good. With SA's economic and cash-flow problems, the Badger money could have been spent much more effectively elsewhere, if, of course, it wasn't simply stolen.

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
Seems to be a hull strike from a HEAT weapon followed by catastrophic munition involvement.

curious george

Reaction score
"The most photographed tank in Africa".

Without rehashing the particular history from 1988, 3 tanks were disabled(tracks/mobility kills) in a minefield and abandoned to be recovered later. It turned out the objective could not be taken without serious losses(3rd attack on Tumpo) and these tanks fell into Cuban/Fapla hands before they could be destroyed.

Only 1 vehicle was effectively recovered by the Cubans and the other 2 stripped/destroyed in place in the minefield.The recovered vehicle was stripped of its turret(presumably by the Soviet advisors to evaluate and whereabouts unknown to today, the hull forms part of a display at museum at Quito.

leo.nap

Gift
Reaction score
kaiserbill said:
Strange Rhino indeed. I wonder what the story behind that is?
Those look like Ystervark 20mm AA guns behind there, so we can probably use that, and the Casspir, to fix a rough date.
This photo was taken in 1996
And here's another picture. This Rhino FCP is currently used together with the Bosvark AA system.

Attachments

61M

Reaction score
New UAE light attack aircraft Calidus displayed with what looks like the same mystery PGM displayed with Denel products and Ahrlac at AAD.
Found some info saying its Tawazun Dynamics product.
Could this be a new bomb developed by Denel Dynamics for Tawazun ?

Attachments

kaiserbill

Reaction score
Over on the tanks encyclopedia site, a couple of pics have been posted from a fellow who worked for Kentron in the 1980's.
These are concept type drawings/art of certain vehicles or systems that were in development at the time.

The ATGW Ratel that ended up as the Ratel ZT-3.
The turret and weapons configuation are different.

Attachments

kaiserbill

Reaction score
The requirement for a mechanised mobile SPAAG was eventually settled on the ZA-35 on a modified Rooikat chassis.
The G-6 SP artillery was also considered, as pictures out there of a G-6 hull with ZA-35 turret show.
I recall from Helmoed Romer Heitmans books in the late 80's/early '90's that mention was made that a variety of platforms or hulls were looked at, including the Ratel IFV.
I have wondered about it, as the ZA-35 turret is very big (hence the Rooikat and G-6 hulls)

Again, from tanks encyclopedia site, concept drawing from a fellow who worked at Kentron.
I don't know much beyond the above.

Attachments

kaiserbill

Reaction score
Again, in line with the posts above, concept drawings during the development of the twin 35mm SPAAG on the Rooikat chassis.
The turret was very different.

Attachments

kaiserbill

Reaction score
Concept drawing during development of the air defence missile variant that eventually became the Rooikat SPAAM, with the turret also trialled on the G-6 chassis.
This is during development...the turret is completely different. The hull is based on the Rooikat, but is considerably different, especially up front.
The original concept was also for a fixed (containerised) version, which is carried through to the Umkhonto SAM today. (The SAHV system basically morphed into and was renamed Umkhonto)

Attachments

TomS

Reaction score
kaiserbill said:
The requirement for a mechanised mobile SPAAG was eventually settled on the ZA-35 on a modified Rooikat chassis.
The G-6 SP artillery was also considered, as pictures out there of a G-6 hull with ZA-35 turret show.
I recall from Helmoed Romer Heitmans books in the late 80's/early '90's that mention was made that a variety of platforms or hulls were looked at, including the Ratel IFV.
I have wondered about it, as the ZA-35 turret is very big (hence the Rooikat and G-6 hulls)

Again, from tanks encyclopedia site, concept drawing from a fellow who worked at Kentron.
I don't know much beyond the above.
This looks very much like the 30mm Wildcat turret.

http://www.armourbook.com/uploads/forum/posts/1298291483_wildcat-8x8.jpg