Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
While going through some Japanese sources I came across these seemingly undocumented projects:
  • 7-Shi Special Bomber (one Nakajima prototype built — program cancelled)
  • 7-Shi Reconnaissance Seaplane [E7N] (unbuilt Nakajima contender of the E7K "Alf" and E7A)
  • 8-Shi Fighter (Nakajima proposal — program cancelled; prototype built?)
  • 11-Shi Bomber Seaplane (unbuilt Mitsubishi and Nakajima proposals — program cancelled)
  • 11-Shi Advanced Trainer Seaplane (unbuilt Mitsubishi contender of the K6K and K6W prototypes)
  • 12-Shi Test Fighter (unbuilt Nakajima proposal — program cancelled)
  • 13-Shi Three-Seat Twin-Engine Fighter Bomber (Mitsubishi proposal — program cancelled)
  • 13-Shi Union(?) Fighter (unbuilt Mitsubishi proposal — program cancelled)
  • 13-Shi Twin-Engine Land Fighter (unbuilt Mitsubishi contender of the J1N Gekko/"Irving")
  • 13-Shi Attack (unbuilt Mitsubishi contender of the G5N Shinzan/"Liz")
  • 20-Shi Armored Fighter (unbuilt Mitsubishi proposal — program cancelled)
Any ideas? Pics? Descriptions? Specs?

Stargazer2006 said:
While going through some Japanese sources I came across these seemingly undocumented projects:
  • 11-Shi Advanced Trainer Seaplane (unbuilt Mitsubishi contender of the K6K and K6W prototypes)
  • 13-Shi Twin-Engine Land Fighter (unbuilt Mitsubishi contender of the J1N Gekko/"Irving")
  • 13-Shi Attack (unbuilt Mitsubishi contender of the G5N Shinzan/"Liz")

Mitsubishi K6M Trainer, J1M Heavy/Night Fighter and G5M Medium/Heavy Bombers???
Err Mitsubishi Seaplane???
Mitusbishi not known for such plane designs except from the F1M Reikan / Pete Reconnaissance Seaplane

Stargazer2006 said:
Nakajima the Experimental 7-shi Carrier Dive Bomber(中島,試作七試特殊爆撃機)
Nakajima experimental 6-shi carrier dive bomber re-designed model. The IJN tested this aircraft in 1933 and found the necessity of more research. After this aircraft, Nakajima built experimental 8-shi carrier dive bomber.
7-shi Carrier Dive Bomber data
Engine; Nakajima Kotobuki type2 mod1, aircooling radial 9 cylinders, 460hp/2100rpm/3000m, 580hp/2300rpm/S.L., Span ; 11m, Length ; 8.5m, Height ; 3.5m, Wing area ; 30 square meter, Empty weight ; 1500kg, Gross weight ; 2300kg, Wing loading ; 76.7kg/square meter, Power loading ; 4 - 5kg/hp, Maximum speed ; 130kt/3000m, Climb to 3000m; 10minutes, Service ceiling ; 6500m, Range ; 450km
Armaments ; two 7.7mm gun, 250kg bomb
Source ; as usual encyclopedia

Attachments

• 6-shi_experimental_dive_bomber.jpg
    6-shi_experimental_dive_bomber.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 635
No Tzoli,

the Mitsubishi K6M was a real project,please see;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_military_aircraft_designation_systems

And Stargazer forget to put the sources.

The profile is from Japanese Aircraft 1910-1941. It shows the 6-Shi Nakajima Special Bomber. According to Mikesh and Abe, the 7-Shi Special Bomber was basically the same as the 6-shi but without the staggered wings. One built in 1933 but came up short and ended up deferred to the 8-Shi specification where it was redesigned again and failed yet again. It was designated the D2N1 during the 8-Shi competition. Methinks Nakajima should have not kept the same designers through all three revisions. :)

blackkite said:
Stargazer2006 said:
Nakajima the Experimental 7-shi Carrier Dive Bomber(中島,試作七試特殊爆撃機)
Nakajima experimental 6-shi carrier dive bomber re-designed model. The IJN tested this aircraft in 1933 and found the necessity of more research. After this aircraft, Nakajima built experimental 8-shi carrier dive bomber.

Attachments

• Nakajima 6-Shi Special Bomber.jpg
    Nakajima 6-Shi Special Bomber.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 643
Wikipedia contributor Buster40004, doesn't list sources for his list of Japanese projects. But, I suspect that the Wiki 1-Shi listing originated with Robert Beechy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Buster40004/Sandbox/Projects/Military_Open_Tasks
Beechy - http://fire.prohosting.com/uncommon/reference/japan/ijn_programs.html

Guys, I know these web pages well already, and they do not provide any new information regarding the projects I mentioned... but thanks anyway.

I will try and dig up the references for the aircraft projects I mentioned... they're in some old Japanese book I have somewhere.

Hi all,

Noticed this thread on japanese early aviation, I have to many japanse aircraft I am looking for info on! ;)

I have two questions that I could not so far find answers to:

-Does anyone have more info on the ISHIKAWAJIMA T-3 ? there is a picture here in the thread in the beginning, but I am especially looking for more pictures and a 3view? I have found some remarks on the web, but not much... It was later owned by Asahi Shimbun (registratio J-BBCA, fleet number 53?). See some pictures here too:

http://arawasi-wildeagles.blogspot.nl/2013_02_01_archive.html

-Does anyone have maybe a three view (and pictures are always welcome too!) of the Nakajima NAF-2? It seems two were built as prototypes and also taken over by Asahi Shimbun newspaper. Registrations of these were J-BAAC and J-BAAD when in civil use. Very little pictures seem to be available, never seen a three view either... Who has more?

Many thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

• nakajima naf-2.jpg
    nakajima naf-2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 331