• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Sikorsky X-Wing Projects

Orionblamblam

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
Stargazer2006 said:
Well, the Asian-made display models scarcely depict little-known projects or alternate configurations.
Not exactly true. I've seen a lot of oddball stuff offered by such manufacturers on ebay. I suppose they can make a profit off of *one* model sold, so it's in their interest to offer as many types of models as possible.

I went to ebay to find a few such listings to prove my point... but there are *too* *many*. Go to ebay and do a search for VTOL and MODEL. My search produced 47 hits, about half (eyeballing) are the Asian slavemade type, and about two thirds of those are of the "unbuilt projects" variety. A lot of *those* are actually unbuilt *models,* you win the auction, you pays your money, and *then* they go to the bother of building the model. Stuff like the CL-379, the Ryan "VTOL F-104," the Bell "XF-109," c an all be yours if you pay up and wait.

A

aerodog

Regarding the above X-wing model - it, like coca cola, is the real thing. A few tells: the fineness of the horizontal and vertical stabs - tails on the majority of mohogany junkers are obviously out of scale thick and rounded on the leading edge. 2) the decal carrier film is yellowed pointing to age - making this a pre-web era model, after which junk mass production went into high gear. Plus you have to have an "eye" for it - the form on this model is finely proportioned - the lines ring true - this is never the case with the mahogany equivalent to a black velvet painting.

ALVAMA

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Not trying to being a n00b with what are the dimensions of the ''PV5N6B.jpg''' not the file, but the helicopter on it.

The Artist

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
boxkite said:
Paul, are you sure this one is a Sikorsky proposal? I know this from Interavia 7/1983, described as a Boeing-Vertol concept (however using the Sikorsky X-wing!).
I have found a source calling it "This Boeing Vertol "X"-wing convertiplane..."

I'll soon post this image in color - unless my continued search finds it in another thread.

The Artist

Reaction score
I found this in Airplanes of the Future by Don Berliner, Learner Publications, 1987.

Posting this here because the black and white version is here and I didn't find a dedicated Boeing X-wing thread.

Attachments

hesham

Reaction score

Attachments

CAIR67

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
Orionblamblam said:
It looks good, but I can't tell if that's a factory model or a "hand-made with Asian slave labor from gen-u-wine Philipine mahogany" wonder. It's surrounded by a whole lot of the latter:
http://lloydralstontoys.com/jan10/jan10lots3.html

This model belongs to me, it is in my collection. It is 100% a real factory model. I believe it to be from the Sikorsky model shop, which makes it very rare. Made out of heavy resin material, and the antennas are made from brass. It came from the estate of someone who worked in marketing for Sikorsky. There were also a wide range of other sikorsky helicopter models for sale. This was the only in-house model, the rest were made by Microwest.

hesham

Reaction score
Hi,

a good report about Sikorsky X-wing project.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a128959.pdf

Attachments

hesham

Reaction score
Hi,

please see its estimated speed,about 0.89 Mach.

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a029168.pdf

Attachments

Tailspin Turtle

Reaction score
Website
www.tommythomason.com
hesham said:
Hi,

please see its estimated speed,about 0.89 Mach.

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a029168.pdf
That's not necessarily the estimated speed. Mach 0.89 is stated to be the drag-divergence Mach number, which is the speed at which drag begins to increase much more rapidly with increasing speed. The aircraft's speed would depend on the installed thrust. It could therefore be more or less than Mach 0.89 (the F-4 Phantom's drag divergence Mach number is also on the order of Mach 0.9).

hesham

Reaction score
hesham said:
a good report about Sikorsky X-wing project.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a128959.pdf
thank you my dear Tailspin.

Attachments

Dydka

Reaction score
Есть точные характеристики этой машины?

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
Via google, По английски пожалуйста.

dymer

Reaction score
There are exact characteristics of this machine?

hesham

Reaction score
From, Jet Warplanes The Twenty-First Century

Attachments