Shadow on The Wall - Work in Progress by Jozef Gatial

Happy birthday Jozef and your new hyper machine!

Two frames from prepared video on NGB. Hard job for six-cored processor, two - mainly procedural infinite terain

Attachments

• NGB_000028.jpg
    NGB_000028.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 525
  • NGB_000001.jpg
    NGB_000001.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 175
do you know this bird?

Attachments

• sample-1.jpg
    sample-1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 154
  • sample-2.jpg
    sample-2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 158
  • sample-3.jpg
    sample-3.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 143
Bears some similarity to various AMPSS/AMSA designs.

this one you already know

Attachments

• sample-3.jpg
    sample-3.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 986
  • sample-2.jpg
    sample-2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 999
  • sample-1.jpg
    sample-1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,012
next one from colection

Attachments

• Sample-1.jpg
    Sample-1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 876
  • Sample-2.jpg
    Sample-2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 857
  • Sample-3.jpg
    Sample-3.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 152
and next one from this collection

Attachments

• sample-1.jpg
    sample-1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 125
  • sample-2.jpg
    sample-2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 141
  • sample-3.jpg
    sample-3.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 128
BIG BAD BOSS

Attachments

• sample-2.jpg
    sample-2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 123
  • sample-1.jpg
    sample-1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 133
seems that soon we will have all GUSTO/OXCART/FISH/KINGFISH series from Josef...way cool!

it seems that it is there really free space for B-58s undercarriage. I'm currious on next pieces

Attachments

• sample-5.jpg
    sample-5.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 141
when it will be right time (all models will be finished) I will render similar posters and animations

Attachments

• sample-6.jpg
    sample-6.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,066
  • sample-7.jpg
    sample-7.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,065
Suntan's interesting system of the retractable bottom fin

Attachments

• fin.jpg
    fin.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 835
Can I ask you for your help?

Attachments

• AI-0102 questions.jpg
    AI-0102 questions.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 580
Hydraulic / Pneumatic cylinder(s) to raise the forward cockpit section?! :-\

on the part "What is this" look like intake for fueling probe of a KC-135,
really it look like Hydraulic part of cockpit tilt angle system.

On the rocket question, it look like a AIM-4 Falcon, it's fit the scale on drawing.
but that is a obsolete weapon system since 1988
could it be that was Aircraft had to be armed with the GAR-2B aka AIM-4D?

I have collected all Vought's AI projects from this webpage and moveable cockpit is clear to understand for me. But I want to try next possible details due to my interest for this projects family as next possible objects for complex rendering

rockets where fired on from top or bottom surface?

Attachments

• AI-0102 questions2.jpg
    AI-0102 questions2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 146
IMHO, the missiles were stored in 4 individual internal weapons bays and then ejected/fired from bottom surface (yellow arrows).

PlanesPictures said:
rockets where fired on from top or bottom surface?

look the Lockheed YF-12
it had bottom surface weapon bays.

yf12aim47gg5.jpg

source
http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopic-t-9571-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-15.html

due to huge air intakes I supposed top surface rocket bays as possible, too

Josef, it's logical that they are bottom opened as placing them up without any specific need would become a servicing nightmare. Moreover, missiles shown with nose slightly dropped down that confirms down-launch version.

I have copied rockets from top to side view. It seems that nose of rocket is dropped down due to land position to main axis. It is not so long I saw similar 3-4 Mach project (in one from Secret projects from ... English?) where rockets had its bay on top. But thanks. I want to try less precise collection mainly for videos

Hi Josef,
There are plenty of designs that had them launching from the top. There are some Northrop designs I've seen here that have them and I've seen many hypersonic designs that show them launching from the top to keep from interfering with the flow field to the inlets as you suggested. The Blackbird could have them on the bottom, because it's engines were out on the wings where the missiles wouldn't have much of an effect on them. I'm sure they studied the local flow field coming off the of the open doors of the weapons bays in that regard.

But now that I look at the drawing of what you are modeling, they would have opened on the bottom. Since they are to the side of the inlet, they wouldn't effect the flow field to them at high speeds. As Flateric noted, they're easier to access that way. Also, even with the extending launch rails, I would have been worried about them launching upward near the vertical tails. If they were going to launch those up, they would have been close to the centerline away from the vertical tails.

do you have idea why thickness of rocket bay doors is constant and thickness of undercarriage doors is mutable?

Attachments

• doors.jpg
    doors.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 990
AI-102 preview

Attachments

• sample_AI-102_1.jpg
    sample_AI-102_1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 945
  • sample_AI-102_2.jpg
    sample_AI-102_2.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 891
PlanesPictures said:
do you have idea why thickness of rocket bay doors is constant and thickness of undercarriage doors is mutable?

Looking at the original picture, I think the nose gear doors are actually quite thin, the area you have coloured at the front is just a local stiffening rib. The thin nose gear doors would provide more volume inside the gear bay, the constant thickness missile bay doors are more structurally efficient (i.e., lighter)