• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Secret Projects of the Luftwaffe

newsdeskdan

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Maybe is not a Flitzer mock-up:
View attachment 636451
I think this is FWII:
View attachment 636452
Interesting point - you could be right - though the 'intake' ring at the front seems a little too small.
Same size as the other, Ta-183
It might be possible to prove it one way or another. It would depend on when it snowed in Germany during 1944! I did try to find meteorological records for the period but drew a blank. If it didn't snow until after mid-December, you're probably right.

Zizi6785

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Maybe is not a Flitzer mock-up:
View attachment 636451
I think this is FWII:
View attachment 636452
Interesting point - you could be right - though the 'intake' ring at the front seems a little too small.
Same size as the other, Ta-183
It might be possible to prove it one way or another. It would depend on when it snowed in Germany during 1944! I did try to find meteorological records for the period but drew a blank. If it didn't snow until after mid-December, you're probably right.
Dan, you're doing a thorough job! We all thank you for that!

newsdeskdan

Reaction score
Looks pretty convincing, though presumably it applies to the original straight-spine version of Projekt Mittelhuber than the later curved spine version, which would place the photo in January 1945...

Zizi6785

Reaction score
Is it too late to fix the printing press?

newsdeskdan

Reaction score
Fits better at the spine but not so well on the nose. Nevertheless, it does appear to be Projekt Mittelhuber. I just called the printers and apparently they haven't started plating the pages yet so the captions on p139 can and will be altered accordingly - thanks for the help Zizi!

EDIT: The printers have now been sent a revised version of p139 and I'm told that printing will commence tomorrow.

Last edited:

Zizi6785

Reaction score
Fits better at the spine but not so well on the nose. Nevertheless, it does appear to be Projekt Mittelhuber. I just called the printers and apparently they haven't started plating the pages yet so the captions on p139 can and will be altered accordingly - thanks for the help Zizi!

EDIT: The printers have now been sent a revised version of p139 and I'm told that printing will commence tomorrow.
What finally became the caption?

Zizi6785

Reaction score
Some sample pages:

newsdeskdan

Reaction score
First sample back from the printers. The rest are due to arrive today. This is the 'spot UV' cover version, limited to 300 copies, which shows off Ronnie Olsthoorn's artwork. You can only really see the title when you tilt the book into the light. I'll be signing and numbering 'the 300' next Wednesday and they'll go out to everyone who's bought them immediately thereafter. It's only available direct from Mortons.
The regular edition (not pictured), of which I think there are 2000 copies, has the title printed in black on the front. The RRP is the same for both versions - £27.50/$39.99.
The book is 336 pages long, has 600 illustrations, runs to about 150,000w and has all source material fully referenced (something like 500 primary source documents, although several thousand relevant primary source documents were checked - along with many more which turned out to be not so relevant), for those who care about such things.

IMG_1146[1].jpg IMG_1149.jpg

elmayerle

Reaction score
Looking forward to receiving my copy as I ordered a bunch of your stuff when it was first announced.

robunos

You're Mad, You Are.....
Reaction score
Have received my copy today, number 34 of 300 . . . I wasn't expecting to get a limited signed copy . . . :eek: :D
Good service from the publisher, too. Ordered on Tuesday last, arrived today.
A (very) quick look bears out what has been posted on this thread already, The way that the various projects have been grouped by requirement, rather than manufacturer, greatly helps with the understanding of their development, and how they relate to one another.
A minor gripe, I would have liked to have seen a heavier paper used, compared to say Chris Gibson's books, or the 'Convair Advanced Projects' books, (I had one to hand . . .) the pages in this book do feel a little . . . flimsy. But then I was a litho printer for 30 years, so I'm a 'Paper snob' . . . :p
Overall, though, well worth the purchase price, hell, it's worth it just for the illustrations.

cheers,
Robin.