San Diego Air and Space Museum Archive

Machdiamond

CLEARANCE: Secret
Joined
Jan 15, 2007
Messages
327
Reaction score
0
I haven't seen this mentionned elsewhere, but the San Diego Air and Space Museum Archive is uploading tens of thousands of scanned photos and drawings on Flickr (as of today there are 64878 listed).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/

Unfortunately they are in low resolution at 550 pixels width, but I am sure a few gems can be found.

--Luc
 

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
11,340
Reaction score
1
Machdiamond said:
I haven't seen this mentionned elsewhere, but the San Diego Air and Space Museum Archive is uploading tens of thousands of scanned photos and drawings on Flickr (as of today there are 64878 listed).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/

Unfortunately they are in low resolution at 550 pixels width, but I am sure a few gems can be found.

--Luc
They spend the time to scan 65 THOUSAND photos and then put them up at 500 pixels width? (puts head down and cries a little :'( )
 

Skybolt

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2006
Messages
2,288
Reaction score
0
One has to hope that they HAVE the original scans in super-res.... ::)
 

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
11,340
Reaction score
1
Skybolt said:
One has to hope that they HAVE the original scans in super-res.... ::)
One would hope. Now how do we get at 'em? Hell, if they threw them all on a set of DVDs I'd pay for 'em in a heartbeat. Hmmm. . .
 

Orionblamblam

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
7,182
Reaction score
0
Website
www.up-ship.com
sferrin said:
Now how do we get at 'em? Hell, if they threw them all on a set of DVDs I'd pay for 'em in a heartbeat. Hmmm. . .
Robert Bradley, who I suspect is behind this effort, has his SDAM scans stored not on a set of DVDs, b ut on a set of 1 TB hard drives. You might have to buy a warehouse full of DVDs to get the complete set.
 

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
11,340
Reaction score
1
Orionblamblam said:
sferrin said:
Now how do we get at 'em? Hell, if they threw them all on a set of DVDs I'd pay for 'em in a heartbeat. Hmmm. . .
Robert Bradley, who I suspect is behind this effort, has his SDAM scans stored not on a set of DVDs, b ut on a set of 1 TB hard drives. You might have to buy a warehouse full of DVDs to get the complete set.
Even at 10Mb per scan that's only 650Gb for the lot, but I see your point. :-\
 

Stargazer2006

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2009
Messages
13,244
Reaction score
0
Skybolt said:
One has to hope that they HAVE the original scans in super-res.... ::)
Or even that they will market a DVD set containing all the pics in high definition... ::)
Otherwise it would really be a shame... :'(
 

Stargazer2006

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2009
Messages
13,244
Reaction score
0
Orionblamblam said:
Robert Bradley, who I suspect is behind this effort, has his SDAM scans stored not on a set of DVDs, b ut on a set of 1 TB hard drives. You might have to buy a warehouse full of DVDs to get the complete set.
Yeah. But once you remove the duplicate photos and create collections by theme (manufacturers or missions) then it can become a little more manageable I guess.
 

Orionblamblam

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
7,182
Reaction score
0
Website
www.up-ship.com
sferrin said:
Even at 10Mb per scan that's only 650Gb for the lot...
Rather more than that. What they've posted seems to be the "photo files." There is *vastly* more than that... reports, blueprints, presentations, etc. I did a search for a few images I *hoped* I wouldn't find, and I didn't. Stuff that I scanned when I was there two years ago. The amount of stuff that Bradley has himself scanned in is truly vast.
 

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
11,340
Reaction score
1
Skybolt said:
Absolutey, for example.... Model 200
JSF for the 70s. (Notice both CTOL and STOVL variants.)
 

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Joined
May 26, 2006
Messages
23,038
Reaction score
0
Hi,

also a strange Convair VTOL project.
 

Attachments

Stargazer2006

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2009
Messages
13,244
Reaction score
0
Hope it's not another one of the numerous ill-captioned photos from this collection. To me the design looks more like a VTOL piloted Ryan Firebee than a Convair... but who knows?
 

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
11,340
Reaction score
1
overscan said:
Hmmmm.... Douglas Attack/Trainer proposal.
Looks like a Skyhawk crashed into a Lear Jet.
 

Stargazer2006

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2009
Messages
13,244
Reaction score
0
overscan said:
Douglas D558-3
Ha! There is a controversy over this one... Some claim that the "D-558-3" (a totally unofficial designation not even from Douglas) was the D-671 (which some call Skyrocket II), while other sources claim that the "D-558-3" was the D-684 (which some call Skyflash), which you have portrayed above. I'm attaching both for comparison.
 

Attachments

archipeppe

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Joined
Oct 18, 2007
Messages
1,482
Reaction score
0
As far I know, the D-671 was born as true D-558 phase 3, as a true descendant of the D-558 phase 2 for the Navy. The latter D-684 was meant as proposal for the X-15, in that sense it was dubbed as D-558 phase 3 only to give an idea of continuity with the previous successful programme.

Ed Heinemann's team realized two designs of 684, the one depicted in your post is the elder one.
 
Top