Republic XP-44 Rocket

Tophe said:
This seems close to the XP-47B, far more than the XP-47A.

Yes, but the P-35/P-43 lineage is still there in the wing and rear fuselage shape. Interesting to see the change to a more conventional cowling intake than normally shown in XP-44 depictions.

Attachments

• p44-3v.jpg
    p44-3v.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 870
Anybody's guess what color the proposed plane was going to be? Now that I've seen a 3-view, I might just have to scratch-build this plane 1/144 scale.

Here is an unidentified color profile, for what it's worth:

Attachments

• P44-IV.jpg
    P44-IV.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 826
As Stéphane suggests, for a prototype XP-44, it's probably safe to go with natural aluminum finish (à la XP-47B). For production aircraft, an early P-47B (or P-43A) 41 Dark OD over 43 Neutral Gray scheme?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/3/3c/20100901143431!Republic_P-47B_Thunderbolt_NACA.jpg

BTW: for outline, that XP-44-IV sideview art is highly speculative.

Apophenia:

I agree with you. I'm more inclined to go with the artist's impression, which appears to be silver, although it's a b & w photo. I wonder if a color one exists?

A new idea had been appeared during its development.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 648
  • P-44.JPG
    P-44.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 710
Where did you find the second wing idea? It seems crazy to me.
Jettisoning the empty wing without much weight would most likely make it hurdle towards the aircraft and create havoc.
And using it as a 'floater'? I thought they were supposed to drop it after the fuel was used up (see above). On ditching the entire plane would tumble over and sink fast. An empty top wing (being as empty as the normal wing ;) ) would do nothing towards floating.
Please tell us that this was an ancient 1 April joke ;)

Jos,

The 'slipwing' idea was discribed in 'The Thunderfactory" by Joshua Stoff.
I'll try to find more about..

Exept that it was la late 1940 Republic proposal
no more info is given the 'Thunderfactory' book.
Other sources gave no indication.
Infact , but for the known websources , not so much is put on paper
about the Republic XP-44....

Strange early XP-44.

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    823 KB · Views: 155