Saab Gripen E/F (Gripen NG)

Basil1891

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Finland is making the HX decision by the end of this year (fighter to replace C/D Hornets). Instinctively, I favor the Gripen but I'm not the one to make the decision. I hear the manufacturers are impressed by the selection process. Now, the testing is done and final offers are in - and "they" are running wargames to determine what will have the best fighting capability, on budget. The candidates are: Gripen+2x GlobalEye AEW&C, Eurofighter, Rafale, Super Hornet+Growler, and F-35.
What is known about numbers, to date:
Saab: 64x Gripen E + 2x GlobalEye
Boeing: 50x F-18E + 14x EA-18G Growlers
Dassault: 56x Rafale fighters (plausible, but unconfirmed: https://www.meta-defense.fr/en/2021/06/07/the-gust-would-be-in-a-good-position-in-Switzerland/)
BAE: Unknown # of Eurofighters
LM: Unknown # of F-35A planes

Last edited:

helmutkohl

ACCESS: Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe Sweden is also offering some kind of joint Gripen Air Force operations with Finland as part of the package.
if it were me, I'd lean towards Saab
the next two choices would be the F-35 and then the Shornet/Growler

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
This same article (seen first in LeMatin.ch) was copy pasted around a certain press nearly identically from one house to the other.
This is not a news, given that it has even the same error (quoting Rafale combat range at 3700km...) but a pamphlet. In Le Matin, a well known Swiss newspaper, Mr Felley, the journalist authoring this strange piece, doesn't even bother knowing why a member of the Swiss parliament would quote a fantasied range value for a plane that has no serious ground (a 2 second search on Google will lead any intrepid journalist toward Wikipedia that give this value as being the Ferry Range) without anyone correcting her afterward...
It's like going in a Genève watchmaker shop and being told that the last model can do donuts and coffee. Talk about a press news...

Oh yes, the Rafale can allegedly cross 3700km but the only thing it will deliver there would be itself with empty tanks, an half chomped Jambon-beurre and a pilot with a full bladder...

Last edited:

Basil1891

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score

Archibald

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
hmm, You are aware it's machine translation, do you?

This same article (seen first in LeMatin.ch) was copy pasted around a certain press nearly identically from one house to the other.
I only mentioned it because it's the only source avail about possible number of Rafales (56x) in the Dassault offer to Finland.

Doesn't change the fact it is a very idiotic translation mistake of Rafale...

isayyo2

Lurker alert
Reaction score
Good news!

The Gripen E fighter program will have a busy 2022. Saab is preparing to handle the first deliveries of series production aircraft to its two customers, Sweden and Brazil.

According to the company, there are currently nine jets flying, a number that will be expanded by the end of this year. Four of these Gripens will be sent to the Brazilian Air Force (FAB) in early 2022, as part of the order for 36 units closed years ago.

The Swedish Air Force will also receive the first Gripen E next year. The country has ordered 60 fighters in all, which will equip three wings in the future.
Saab also revealed that around 30 fighters are already at some stage of assembly, which represents a third of the backlog. The two-seat Gripen F variant is still being developed and will have an assembly line in Brazil.

gripen-e-fab-01.jpg

helmutkohl

Staff member
Reaction score
^ awesome.. although slightly disappointed its going to keep the standard two tone grey camo.
are the Swedes going to stick with the new darker one that they had on their first demo?

and on another note..
anyone in favor of merging the Legacy Gripen and this Gripen E/F threads together?
I ask this becase the Legacy Gripen thread is tiny (just 1 page), and most Gripen related news will be on the E/F version anyways as the legacy version is no longer produced.

isayyo2

Lurker alert
Reaction score
anyone in favor of merging the Legacy Gripen and this Gripen E/F threads together?
I ask this because the Legacy Gripen thread is tiny (just 1 page), and most Gripen related news will be on the E/F version anyways as the legacy version is no longer produced.
If it can be spliced together into a proper "Gripen News" thread I'd be all fore it

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
I would be interested to see how on earth Mexico could get enough money to acquire F-35's.

tequilashooter

Reaction score

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
Read this - it's pretty obvious:

Maro.Kyo

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score

great news for Gripen E/F. Still wondering what the Swedish AF will do sith their surplus legacy Gripens.