Rutan, Rutan Aircraft Factory and Scaled Composites Project List

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHdbTGG5bWs

Just for the record, and thought they have been covered elsewhere on the forum, the three latest known additions to the Rutan/Scaled list, all from 2017:
  • Model 400: "clean-sheet" tandem-seating jet trainer prototype with single F404-GE-102D turbofan engine of 17700lbs thrust; planned by NG for T-X competition but eventually not entered. One single prototype [N400NT] (c/n 001).
  • Model 401 "Son of Ares": single-seat jet demonstrator with P&WC JT15D-5D, cantilever low wing, V-tail; built for as-yet unnamed customer to demonstrate "advanced, low-cost manufacturing techniques" for production of research aircraft for both industry and government. Two prototypes [N401XD] (c/n 001), [N401XP] (c/n 002), named "Deimos" and "Phobos", after the names of planet Mars's two natural satellites (Mars being the Roman equivalent of the Greek god Ares).
  • Model 406 Ardent Dragon: 15-foot remote-controlled flying wing drone built to demonstrate the effectiveness of Scaled Composites' rapid prototyping and engineering processes.

https://twitter.com/TheWoracle/status/1011286332281376768?s=19

Attachments

• IMG_20180628_141231.jpg
    IMG_20180628_141231.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 106
Skyblazer said:
I knew I'd seen that shape before...

Obviously Burt Rutan does not always start from scratch. He based the "Manta" on Vincent Burnelli's 1947 fighter design.

A sweet serendipity from the gallery at flateric's linked page: Burt Rutan working on his computer with the same bizarre model at his side...
Does anyone know what the drawing in the lower right might be? It looks like a delta with telescoping wings and centerline engine.
rutan mystery ship.jpg

Skyblazer said:

Obviously Burt Rutan does not always start from scratch. He based the "Manta" on Vincent Burnelli's 1947 fighter design.

A sweet serendipity from the gallery at flateric's linked page: Burt Rutan working on his computer with the same bizarre model at his side...
Does anyone know what the drawing in the lower right might be? It looks like a delta with telescoping wings and centerline engine.
View attachment 697105

Looks like X-47A with B exhaust and wing extensions

Skyblazer said:

I see some similarities with his VTOL tailsitter, mostly in the wing shape, which might be hinged, I think?
But I'm not even completely sure on which side is the front and the rear, so...