Rutan, Rutan Aircraft Factory and Scaled Composites Project List

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHdbTGG5bWs

Just for the record, and thought they have been covered elsewhere on the forum, the three latest known additions to the Rutan/Scaled list, all from 2017:
  • Model 400: "clean-sheet" tandem-seating jet trainer prototype with single F404-GE-102D turbofan engine of 17700lbs thrust; planned by NG for T-X competition but eventually not entered. One single prototype [N400NT] (c/n 001).
  • Model 401 "Son of Ares": single-seat jet demonstrator with P&WC JT15D-5D, cantilever low wing, V-tail; built for as-yet unnamed customer to demonstrate "advanced, low-cost manufacturing techniques" for production of research aircraft for both industry and government. Two prototypes [N401XD] (c/n 001), [N401XP] (c/n 002), named "Deimos" and "Phobos", after the names of planet Mars's two natural satellites (Mars being the Roman equivalent of the Greek god Ares).
  • Model 406 Ardent Dragon: 15-foot remote-controlled flying wing drone built to demonstrate the effectiveness of Scaled Composites' rapid prototyping and engineering processes.

https://twitter.com/TheWoracle/status/1011286332281376768?s=19

Attachments

• IMG_20180628_141231.jpg
    IMG_20180628_141231.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 106
Skyblazer said:
I knew I'd seen that shape before...

Obviously Burt Rutan does not always start from scratch. He based the "Manta" on Vincent Burnelli's 1947 fighter design.

A sweet serendipity from the gallery at flateric's linked page: Burt Rutan working on his computer with the same bizarre model at his side...
Does anyone know what the drawing in the lower right might be? It looks like a delta with telescoping wings and centerline engine.
rutan mystery ship.jpg

Skyblazer said:

Obviously Burt Rutan does not always start from scratch. He based the "Manta" on Vincent Burnelli's 1947 fighter design.

A sweet serendipity from the gallery at flateric's linked page: Burt Rutan working on his computer with the same bizarre model at his side...
Does anyone know what the drawing in the lower right might be? It looks like a delta with telescoping wings and centerline engine.
View attachment 697105

Looks like X-47A with B exhaust and wing extensions

Skyblazer said:

I see some similarities with his VTOL tailsitter, mostly in the wing shape, which might be hinged, I think?
But I'm not even completely sure on which side is the front and the rear, so...

Can the experts help identify the avionics suite of the 1986 Voyager flight from the photo from the link below please?

I only identified the following:
Custom audio panel. Note the last toggle switch for HSI control;
King KWX 56 radar display;
King KX 165 TSO COMM / NAV;
King KAP 150 autopilot, albeit with a bit strange push button layout;
King KCU 567 CDU display likely connected to the KNC 667 Navigation Computer/VOR Converter plus OMEGA navigation;
Small digital Zulu clock;
Unknown type of ADI, which should interface with the KAP 150 and the KNC 667;
King KI 525A HSI for VOR / OMEGA;
King KHF-950 or similar HF long distance radio controller.

Did they have on board XPDR?
Any details on the KCU 567 and the KNC 667 are appreciated as hardly anything is available online on these guys.

UPDATE:
The computerized OMEGA / VLF navigation system that was used on-board the Voyager was the King KNS 660. It consisted of two major components: the KNC 667 navigation computer and the KCU 567 CDU plus three VLF antennas.
Bendix King's website has a downloadable archive of old avionics' documentation, incl. on the KNS 660, at https://www.bendixking.com/en/support/downloads-and-manuals.
The KNS 660 manual gave some hints on the components and usage of the system. I wonder if the Voyager was equipped with the following add-ons from King:
(1) The KA 167 rubidium frequency standard that allowed only two Omega/VLF signals to be picked up for successful navigation. Without it the reception of three signals was required for the system to operate correctly;
(2) The KDL 569 data loader from 3.5" floppies which updated the internal data base of waypoints, airports, etc.;
(3) The KNR 620 VOR sensor for the KNC 667.
A google search also produced a YouTube material with the recording of HF radio conversations between the Voyager crew and the ground crew. The problems with the KNS 660 were mentioned. The material is available here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8U0vL8bm2k

Last edited: