Russian 3M22 Tsirkon Hypersonic Missile

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
So far it looks similar to Brahmos/Yakhont/Oniks but seems to aim for higher altitude during boost.

Hanz2k

The truth is grey...
Reaction score
What if Zirkon is just upgraded P800 with just semi ballistic flight profile.

Scar

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
flying the same launch profile as previous "Zircon" tests, i.e. more of a climbing attitude than horizontal like Onyx/Brahmos.
And?... P-700/800 both have two flight profiles, hi-low and low-low.
1646087992166.png

bobbymike

Reaction score
So it’s a M9 (top speed according to Russia/Putin) air breather? This would be the most advance air breathing engine tech that’s ever been produced into a weapon system no?

Yet there seems to be very little if any analysis of this engine that I’ve seen or read. Or am I missing something?

sferrin

Reaction score
flying the same launch profile as previous "Zircon" tests, i.e. more of a climbing attitude than horizontal like Onyx/Brahmos.
And?... P-700/800 both have two flight profiles, hi-low and low-low.
View attachment 674928
True, so are we saying these so-called "Zircon" launches have been Oniks all along? How to tell the difference between a "Zircon" and an "Onyx"?

Scar

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
so are we saying these so-called "Zircon" launches have been Oniks all along?
No, since footage i provided with gif clearly shows it's not Onyx. I'm just saying launch trajectory is not indicative at all.

Josh_TN

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
So it’s a M9 (top speed according to Russia/Putin) air breather? This would be the most advance air breathing engine tech that’s ever been produced into a weapon system no?

Yet there seems to be very little if any analysis of this engine that I’ve seen or read. Or am I missing something?

It would certainly be the fastest air breathing weapon by a wide margin, to my knowledge, assuming the Mach 8-9 figures being throw around are correct. We don't really know anything about it outside that released figure and the footage we've seen.

sferrin

Reaction score
so are we saying these so-called "Zircon" launches have been Oniks all along?
No, since footage i provided with gif clearly shows it's not Onyx. I'm just saying launch trajectory is not indicative at all.
Given that's virtually the ONLY video out there showing Onyx/Brahmos in a higher angle launch trajectory (assuming it's Onyx) I disagree. Most are more like this one:

sferrin

Reaction score
Hate to be "that guy" but it's blurred out so it could be almost anything and the impact looks subsonic.

Trident

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Dunno... in similar impact videos the missile (even that South Korean Oniks clone, a supersonic type) is generally discernible if you slow the playback speed down, here it remains blurred. Could be censoring, as in the launch footage (damn them!), but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. There's also the fact that it seems to be diving, while Oniks impacts are typically sea-skimming (yes, it has an optional high-altitude trajectory, but that is rarely shown), which fits a hypersonic weapon. Not sure it was carrying a warhead either, and if that is correct the obvious severity of the impact is something to consider, too.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G22cyimEs4