• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Russian Hypersonic efforts

Saturn X

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
There has been a lot media coverage about Chinese and US Hypersonic programs, but recently it has emerged that Russia has a hypersonic program of its own = no surprise to anyone who has been following Russian weapons development, so I like to dedicate this thread to all Russian Hypersonic related efforts.

I will start with first post.

At 18:13 MSK (15:13 UTC) on August 22, 2015 the Strategic Rocket Forces carried out a successful launch of a Topol/SS-25 missile that was used to test "new combat payload for future ICBMs." The missile payload reported to have successfully reached its target at the Sary Shagan test site in Kazakhstan.

Although the official reports refer to the missile as Topol, it is most likely the Topol-E modification of the missile, which is used to rest experimental warheads in launches from Kapustin Yar to Sary-Shagan

http://russianforces.org/blog/2015/08/another_topol_launch_from_kapu_1.shtml

antigravite

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hi,

Are you refering to Russia's YU-71 BGV, "part of a wider effort to overcome US Missile Defense known as Project 4202"?

A.

kaiserbill

Reaction score

Attachments

• MAKS2015-001.jpg
    MAKS2015-001.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 1,077
  • MAKS2015-002.jpg
    MAKS2015-002.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 1,049
  • MAKS2015-003.jpg
    MAKS2015-003.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 1,018
  • MAKS2015-004.jpg
    MAKS2015-004.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 984
  • MAKS2015-005.jpg
    MAKS2015-005.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 933
  • MAKS2015-006.jpg
    MAKS2015-006.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 134

antigravite

Reaction score
kaiserbill said:
Some interesting pictures from the buildup to MAKS-2015, link below, which are relevant I think to this topic.

http://missiles2go.ru/2015/08/23/maks-2015-dva-dnia-do-nachala/

MAKS-2015 is starting in a couple of days time, so perhaps we'll get some more info.

WOW thx. Really interesting advanced scramjet intergration research underway.
Was it flown yet? Even low speed? Russians have a longtime tradition of flight testing everything they can, and failures are never considered as such since you always learn something along the way. Hands-on experience.

A.

kaiserbill

Reaction score
antigravite said:
WOW thx. Really interesting advanced scramjet intergration research underway.
Was it flown yet? Even low speed? Russians have a longtime tradition of flight testing everything they can, and failures are never considered as such since you always learn something along the way. Hands-on experience.

A.

No idea.
I was looking up details of MAKS-2015. Perhaps Flateric or another one of our esteemed Russian contributors here may have some further details.
Certainly the material they are constructed of demonstrates at least wind tunnel testing, but quite possibly also actual flight testing. The larger models look very interesting indeed.

MAKS-2015 promises to be interesting...there is word that the MiG 1.44 technology demonstrator, which has been parked up off to one side for the last few years, will be exhibited. So hopefully we'll see far better, closeup pictures of the beast.

bobbymike

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
http://sputniknews.com/military/20150823/1026084410/russia-creates-breakthrough-jet-engine.html

flateric

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
First two pics are HEXAFLY developed on frame program with EU. You can find much more info on project googling it than talking to TsAGI staff on the display.
Next goes TsAGI SSBJ/SST configuration concept that evolved from TsAGI/Sukhoi HiSAC configuration.
Last is IGLA, old as mammoth shit.

Saturn X

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
antigravite said:
Hi,

Are you refering to Russia's YU-71 BGV, "part of a wider effort to overcome US Missile Defense known as Project 4202"?

A.

Yes, but I believe there are several other ongoing projects besides Yu-71. :)

kaiserbill

Reaction score
Just read the article below. I think the picture in the article, attached below, is actually from MAKS-2013 though?

Russia’s Gromov Flight Research Institute (LII) expects its latest GLL-AP-02 hypersonic scramjet test vehicle to fly in “three or four years,” with officials telling Flightglobal that funding constraints and technical issues have slowed progress.
LII’s Sergei Pernitsky and Sergei Vasilievich said via a translator at the MAKS air show in Moscow that work on the flight sciences vehicle is progressing, but slowly.
“Mostly because of the lack of funding, but there are lots of difficulties despite the funding because this project is very ambitious,” they explain.
GLL-AP-02 is the Russian equivalent of America’s Boeing X-51 and China’s “WU-14”. It is the latest in a series of Russian rocket-boosted hypersonic test vehicles, proceeding the GLL-VK and GLL-31 projects.

More here:
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/maks-russias-hypersonic-scramjet-experiment-could-fly-by-416192/

Attachments

• Rushypersonic.jpg
    Rushypersonic.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 118

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Latest? Lol, I remember GLL-AP-02 at MAKS 2007 with mantra that it's almost ready to fly...

"...although it was tellingly absent at Zhukovsky this week"

bobbymike

Reaction score
http://nextbigfuture.com/2015/12/russia-is-using-french-missile.html

bobbymike

Reaction score
http://freebeacon.com/national-security/russia-tests-hypersonic-glide-vehicle/

Flyaway

Reaction score
One of the Russian newspapers, MK, quotes its unnamed sources as saying that Russia conducted a flight test of a "hypersonic warhead" earlier this week (apparently on April 19). The missile carrying the warhead was launched from the Dombarovsky site. The test is said to be successful.

If the reports are correct, this is probably the test of the Project 4202 vehicle that was expected to take place in 2016-2017. It would be interesting to see if there will be an official announcement of the test or if further confirmation from industry sources.

UPDATE: Now mainstream media (Interfax) confirm the story and say that the test took place on Tuesday, April 19. As expected, the UR-100NUTTH/RS-18/SS-19 missile was used to carry the vehicle.

http://russianforces.org/blog/2016/04/reports_of_a_project_4202_flig.shtml

bobbymike

Reaction score
http://sputniknews.com/world/20160423/1038490289/russia-hypersonic-glide-vehicle.html

bobbymike

Reaction score
http://nextbigfuture.com/2016/05/russia-plans-to-deploy-24-hypersonic-yu.html

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Idiots, when they will finally learn that designation 'Yu-71' doesn't exsist...and what it has to do with render of Spiral and 53T6 test?

sferrin

Reaction score
flateric said:
Idiots, when they will finally learn that designation 'Yu-71' doesn't exsist...and what it has to do with render of Spiral and 53T6 test?

Well, it is NextBigFuture.

bobbymike

Reaction score
http://sputniknews.com/politics/20160611/1041185729/russia-hypersonic-glider.html

The Yu-74 system specification as well as the details of the test remains top secret. Reportedly, the gliders are developed to be loaded onto Russia's RS-28 Sarmat (SS-X-30 by NATO classification) — the state-of-the-art heavy liquid-propelled intercontinental ballistic missiles which are currently being developed for the Russian army.

Designed to carry up to 24 nuclear-loaded Yu-74 gliders, each Sarmat ballistic missile will be able to hit any target located within a 6.2 thousand mile radius in one hour.

sferrin

Reaction score
bobbymike said:
http://sputniknews.com/politics/20160611/1041185729/russia-hypersonic-glider.html

The Yu-74 system specification as well as the details of the test remains top secret. Reportedly, the gliders are developed to be loaded onto Russia's RS-28 Sarmat (SS-X-30 by NATO classification) — the state-of-the-art heavy liquid-propelled intercontinental ballistic missiles which are currently being developed for the Russian army.

Designed to carry up to 24 nuclear-loaded Yu-74 gliders, each Sarmat ballistic missile will be able to hit any target located within a 6.2 thousand mile radius in one hour.

Something to note there is the range and time. This would suggest something looking further into the future. When strategic defensive lasers, that can just plug into the local power grid, are a reality then flying or gliding at high altitude will be suicide. So maybe this thing launches a gaggle of "gliders" that go just high enough to remain below the horizon of the lasers. As they get close maybe they shed aeroshells, open inlets, and cruise the last 50 miles right on the deck under ramjet power. From an earlier time (though somewhat prescient):

"Opinion

USAF's design mission for that scramjet missile technology could be done easier, cheaper, and "right now" by marrying existing ICBM technology with existing ramjet cruise missile technology (like ASALM). Put your supersonic ramjet cruise missile inside a re-entry shroud, and stick that on top of an ordinary ICBM. Flight time is 17 minutes to the other side of the world, then you cruise to target in the Mach 3 to 4 range, at around 60-80,000 feet, and finally you dive onto your target at around Mach 5 to 6. If you are attacking fixed geographic coordinates, there is not time for simple inertial guidance to drift.

As I said before, simple. Easy. Cheap.

My question to USAF is: why cruise hypersonic down in the air with all that friction heat and shock loss nonsense, when you don't have to? Actually, the very same question applies to supersonic/hypersonic transport aircraft proposals, too."

http://exrocketman.blogspot.com/2012/08/third-x-51a-scramjet-test-not-successful.html

antigravite

Reaction score
Hi.

Putin gave a talk on june 7.

The "Avant-garde" Mach20+ maneuverable missile is likely in production now and should enter service next year, in 2019
The Air launched Mach 10 missile is already in service. Details unknown (to me)

Some articles:
https://www.rbth.com/science-and-tech/327726-new-russian-weapons
https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/new-hypersonic-missiles-guarantee-parity-with-us-putin

etc.

A.

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
I understand the need for chest wigs/thumping but, what is the point? They do not impress anyone and it is pretty easy to see this is basically hyperbole. About time folk threw out their rattles and got on with cooperation and we could really see some progress. What am I thinking? Logic/hyperbole, easy to see the fantasy football gets the vote every time. Head slap time again.......

tequilashooter

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Completely lost as to why tass would even bother putting this on the Economics section.

MOSCOW, April 9. /TASS/. The Rostec Joint Engine Corporation has tested a demonstration of a pulsating detonation engine for prospective hypersonic aircraft and orbital aircraft. This was reported to journalists in the press service of the state corporation Rostec.

"The first stage of testing of the pulsating detonation engine demonstrateer has been successfully completed. The demonstrator gave the required indicators. On some modes of operation, the specific thrust of up to 50% exceeded the performance of traditional power plants. In the future, this will allow to increase the maximum range and weight of the payload of aircraft by 1.3-1.5 times," Rostec said in the aviation cluster.

The pulsating detonation engine was developed in the Design Bureau by A. Lulki (a branch of ODK-UMPO). It implements a more economical, unlike used in existing gas turbine engines, thermodynamic cycle. Equipped with such an engine aircraft will have better flight dynamics and maneuverability.

The model of the pulsating detonation engine was presented for the first time at the International Military-Technical Forum "Army-2017".

tequilashooter

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score

MOSCOW, Apr 14 - RIA Novosti. Developed in Russia The reusable winged stage of the Wing-SV light-class launch vehicle will be able to land both on wheels and on skis, depending on the type of landing strips. This was stated by the head of the pilot design bureau named Bartini CNIIMAS Boris Satovsky in a video posted on the YouTube-channel of the Faculty of Aerophysics and Space Research of MIPT.

"In the extreme case, we assume the possibility of landing even on a dirt airfield, so the chassis will have interchangeable equipment: if landing on a concrete strip and a cool airfield, it will be wheels, and if it is landing on the ground, it will be skis," Satovsky said.

Work on the Wing-SV rocket project began several years ago, and in February 2020 the Scientific and Technical Council Advanced Research Foundation decided to start developing a flight demonstrator.

The Wing-SV is a reusable cruise stage of a light-class missile. It will be six metres long and 0.8 metres in diameter. The rocket's demonstrator is planned to be one-third the size of the original. The Wing-SV will travel at hypersonic speeds of up to six Mach numbers. A new rocket engine, called the Whirlwind, is being developed specifically for the rocket.

It is planned that after the separation of the second stage, which will continue the flight, the first reusable stage will return to the spaceport on the wings and using the aircraft engine.