• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Royal Navy nuclear surface ships

CNH

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
'An Atomic Empire'

JFC Fuller

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
CNH said:
'An Atomic Empire'
My apologies if there is already a thread on this in the book section, I was unable to find one- what is the expected release date of this title?

RyanCrierie

Crazy Researcher
Reaction score
Website
www.alternatewars.com
Madurai said:
There is a reason for a funnel in nuclear surface ships: blowout vents in case of coolant leaks.
Don't forget air intakes for ventilation! If you place it in a funnel, you have room for the NBC Filters so that they don't impact below decks on precious volume.

CNH

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
The text and images have just gone to the publishers for proof reading and type setting. At a guess - sometime in the spring!

RP1

I see the truth in it.
Reaction score
Website
rp-one.net
Regarding funnels on nuclear powered ships;

Remember that you may have a quite substantial back up diesel plant, which needs exhausts. The chimney effect of the funnel can also provide a substantial mount of air circulation to help remove decay heat from the reactor compartment (The reactor may vent steam to the containment, which remains sealed and acts like a buffer, and you can circulate air around the exterior of the containment). The air in the "outer" compartment will become radioactive (isotopes of O2 and N2) in normal operation, but these have short half lives and so just exhausting the air through a tall funnel was deemed to be acceptable in some cases.

RP1

chimeric oncogene

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
I thought the French used plutonium in their submarine reactors. In places with reactor fuel reprocessing with PUREX, reactor-grade plutonium should be relatively inexpensive and have similar properties to HEU, perhaps at lower cost.

I think the French have always used LEU submarine fuel, the British always HEU. China, no idea.

Maiwand1880

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
I thought the French used plutonium in their submarine reactors. In places with reactor fuel reprocessing with PUREX, reactor-grade plutonium should be relatively inexpensive and have similar properties to HEU, perhaps at lower cost.

I think the French have always used LEU submarine fuel, the British always HEU. China, no idea.
The "French"? all of them? 67 million people, each using plutonium in submarines? woa! All propulsion reactors in France's Marine nationale's use are fuelled with oxyde LEU. MOX, if it is what is meant here, is not involved.

chimeric oncogene

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
The "French"? all of them? 67 million people, each using plutonium in submarines? woa! All propulsion reactors in France's Marine nationale's use are fuelled with oxyde LEU. MOX, if it is what is meant here, is not involved.
My mistake. Thank you for correcting me.
Why doesn't anyone use reactor-grade plutonium in submarine reactors? The French reprocess their nuclear fuel - reactor grade plutonium should be readily available for a program, if they so desired one?
A reactor with 50% Pu-240 and 50% Pu-239 (this is really bad reactor grade Pu) should outperform one with 50% enriched uranium. And the few tonnes of reactor-grade Pu needed for a reactor should be obtainable from a large 50-GW civil nuclear power program...
The French government is definitely smarter than me, so I'm missing something.

Last edited:

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
I know the Italians had (have) very particular styles in Naval Architecture. but could the attached of the poposed Enrico Fermi give any suggestions for a "Military" RFA??
Wow, very impressive armament for a replenishment ship!!

Regards
Pioneer