fsc2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 602
  • fsc3.jpg
    fsc3.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 917
  • fsc6.jpg
    fsc6.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 913
Artist's impression of US Coast Guard cutter using the DERA FSC trimaran configuration.

An artist's concept of a candidate "system" for the Deepwater project, showing an advanced technology cutter that would support high-speed small craft, tilt-rotor aircraft as well as HH-60J Jayhawk helicopters, and Guardian/Sentinel-type Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV). Deepwater also will employ satellites for various support functions.

Polmar, Norman.The Naval Institute Guide to Ships and Aircraft of the US Fleet, Seventeenth Edition. Annapolis: Naval Institute Press 2001. p.

Source: From my hard disk drive, possibly the Popular Mechanics or Popular Science website.

Attachments

• 9911STMID.JPG
    9911STMID.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 535
Artist's impression of a DERA concept of a slightly larger 6,500 tonnes trimaran FSC "destroyer". Notice the "long hull" outriggers compared with the "short hull" outriggers in the pictures above.

Another FSC concept from DERA, dating to 1999.

From Navy Matters:
Further mono- and multi-hull updates of the FSC baseline concept. The artists impressions were publicly used by the Defence Procurement Agency in 2000 but are dated 1999. The trimaran appears to be another view of the concept immediately above. The illustrations do no match well to the mono-hull baseline 5 and trimaran baseline 7 of 2001.

Source:
http://navy-matters.beedall.com/fsc-pre2005.htm
http://www.britisharmedforces.org/pages/nat_navy_future.htm

Attachments

• future_22_23.gif
    future_22_23.gif
    140.3 KB · Views: 228
  • tri5.jpg
    tri5.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 223
  • dpafsc.jpg
    dpafsc.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 268
  • fsc9.jpg
    fsc9.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 653
  • fsc5.jpg
    fsc5.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 295
Interesting stuff. My understanding of Trimaran warships is limited. What are the potential advantages here?

Don't bother. Nothing new there and he seems to think Bae in the UK and Bae in the US are the same when it comes to gun development.

Don't bother. Nothing new there and he seems to think Bae in the UK and Bae in the US are the same when it comes to gun development.

Yeah, I thought the excursion into AGS Lite was odd.

I don't think enough people understand how different AGS was compared to NATO 155mm (Quadrilateral Ballistics Agreement-compliant) guns. It certainly took me a while to understand it, and I was actually working for the guys running the SC-21 program. I'm still not sure I fully grasp what differs, but I know it includes a different chamber, low-twist rifling, and a whole slew of other features seemingly designed to make it impossible for AGS to simply use off-the-shelf 155mm howitzer ammunition.

Last edited: