Royal Navy Destroyers and Frigates post 1966

Vosper Thornycroft also developed another riff on the same theme as a "Command Frigate" proposed to Pakistan, this time packing Sea Wolf VLS.

I would agree that these would be approaching Type 22 cost, barring whatever acoustic signature reduction may have been lacking and no Type 2016 sonar or VDS.

Attachments

• Type 21 Command Frigate.jpg
    Type 21 Command Frigate.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Is there a picture somewhere of a Tiger, a County, and HMS Bristol sailing side by side ? these three classes (or standalone) were rather impressive ships, even imperfect.
Stupid question in passing, could a Tiger get a Sea Slug system ? France did that to Colbert, it got a MASURCA just like the Suffren brothers.
(and before @NOMISYRRUC blows a gasket, I didn't said MASURCA = Sea Slug). :p

Part of Post 39
My chunky Type 21 based off the Niteroi-class:
Vosper Thornycroft had a similar idea in the "real world".

According to him it had Sea Wolf in place of Sea Cat. There were four twin-barrel lightweight launchers mounted two forward (port and starboard) and two aft (port and starboard). These launchers had been developed using the land-based Rapier SAM system of launching rails instead of the container system used in the GWS 25 Sea Wolf. Loading the the launchers was to be carried out from below decks, and each launcher had its own magazine of 10 missiles; these could be topped up by replenishment at sea.

Would there have been any way of replacing those trainable launcher and magazines with a VLS at a later date?

Part of Post 39
My chunky Type 21 based off the Niteroi-class:
Vosper Thornycroft had a similar idea in the "real world".

According to him it had Sea Wolf in place of Sea Cat. There were four twin-barrel lightweight launchers mounted two forward (port and starboard) and two aft (port and starboard). These launchers had been developed using the land-based Rapier SAM system of launching rails instead of the container system used in the GWS 25 Sea Wolf. Loading the the launchers was to be carried out from below decks, and each launcher had its own magazine of 10 missiles; these could be topped up by replenishment at sea.

Would there have been any way of replacing those trainable launcher and magazines with a VLS at a later date?
The book didn't say. So I don't know.

Last edited:
Is there a picture somewhere of a Tiger, a County, and HMS Bristol sailing side by side? these three classes (or standalone) were rather impressive ships, even imperfect.
For what its worth I agree. Although I think the Tigers look better in their conventional cruiser form.
Stupid question in passing, could a Tiger get a Sea Slug system ? France did that to Colbert, it got a MASURCA just like the Suffren brothers.
Probably.

It could be fitted to a Colony class cruiser so it should have been possible to fit it to the Tigers as well. I plan to do a post about it in the Tiger class thread.
(and before @NOMISYRRUC blows a gasket, I didn't said MASURCA = Sea Slug). :p
You're learning son.

Last edited:
Vosper Thornycroft also developed another riff on the same theme as a "Command Frigate" proposed to Pakistan, this time packing Sea Wolf VLS.
Modern Combat Ships 5 mentions the Vosper Thornycroft Command Frigate and the complementary General Purpose Frigate.

An Artists Impression of the Vosper Thornycroft Command Frigate
From Page 100 of Modern Combat Ships 5 Type 21 by Capt. John Lippett, RN.

VT Command Frigate Painting.jpg

This version has what looks like the Italian OTO-Merlara 76mm gun in A position instead of the British 4.5" Mk 8.

Commercial Frigate Development

Not surprisingly, commercial frigate design has also kept pace with the advances in technology and tactics. Disappointed but not deterred by the lack of orders for the Seawolf Type 21 design, Vosper Thornycroft (VT) carried on with the concept of using the Type 21 as the basis for development.

VT's operational and marketing studies identified the worldwide need for two types of frigate. Firstly, what they called a Command Frigate, able to co-ordinate fleet and amphibious operations, and yet fully capable of operating alone against any thread; secondly, they saw a need for a smaller, cheaper General Purpose Frigate. This would be capable of deep-sea operations, and able to accept a wide variety of weapons fits that could easily be changed. Both of these designs came directly from Type 21.

The Command Frigate could easily be mistaken fro the Amazon class in design, though not in capability. Using updated sensors and computers, it can have eight surface-to-surface missiles, the Phalanx Close In Weapons System (CIWS) forward and aft, and the vertical-launched Seawolf. The Type 21's COGOG propulsion system in available, or alternatively CODOG - the use of diesel or gas. The increased beam allows the superstructure to be of steel; extra accommodation includes the accommodation for an Admiral and 13 staff officers.

The VT General Purpose Light Frigate, designated Type 18, is a more radical departure in ship design. Although 9m shorter, its hull form is a derivative of the Type 21 form. It is, however, relatively longer, with a 12% smaller volumetric coefficient to improve further the sea keeping and hydrodynamic performance.

It is interesting to note that VT claims that the increase in relative length allows a reduction in the size of the superstructure, thus giving a long, low profile which in turn produces the advantage of a reduced radar-reflective area, reduced windage and a more effective weapons layout.

A low radar profile is extremely important, in that it makes the ship more difficult to detect, and increases the effectiveness of the ship's electronic countermeasures systems. The shape of the hull and superstructure affect the radar-reflective pattern, and VT have introduced a below0deck hangar for the Lynx helicopter.

In order to give maximum flexibility to the customer, weapons and sensors for the Type 18 have not been specified; however, they include a Mk 8 4.5in gun, eight SSM, a SAM and CIWS system, the Lynx helicopter, and STWS. The upper deck layout allows the weapons to be sited in prime positions offering the widest arcs of fire. This is an impressive fit for a ship of this size. It is also designed to have a particularly small compliment of 119 officers and men, an important feature for most navies. Propulsion is by three diesel engines which can give 30kt, but if a higher speed is required CODAG could be incorporated. The forward-looking nature of the Type 18 design, using the sea-keeping and ship performance of the Type 21, should give it an important position in the inventory of frigate design.

An Artists Impression of the Vosper Thornycroft General Purpose Frigate
From Page 100 of Modern Combat Ships 5 Type 21 by Capt. John Lippett, RN.

VT General Purpose Light Frigate.jpg

Last edited:
This are shots from Merriot I believe (by Blackbuck over at Shipbucket), a slightly different Type 18 design with the 98M design which was evolved from it. The Type 18 already looks to be losing some of its stronger Type 21 design aesthetics.

Also a bonus, the Modernised Leander which looked nothing like a Leander! (clever marketing trick though).

Attachments

• Vosper Mk 18.jpg
    Vosper Mk 18.jpg
    741.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Vosper 98m Light Frigate.jpg
    Vosper 98m Light Frigate.jpg
    813.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Vosper Modernised Leander.jpg
    Vosper Modernised Leander.jpg
    527.3 KB · Views: 64
Back
Top Bottom