TomS

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
With the current situation in Ukraine obviating the need for increased defence spending (and more efficient usage of the funds), what impact is this going to have on the UK's armed forces? Are the effects known, or is it too early to say?

Tip: obviating something means removing the need for it. So, Ukraine doesn't obviate increased defense spending, it makes the need more obvious.

Despite which, the UK defence budget is not set to rise significantly next year.

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
One quite visible and simple to make cut will be coming shortly which will cut the tank regiments down to the bone. One tank (Challenger 3) and possibly two or three recce/light support regiments with whatever light/airportable vehicle will do the job which the current/due to be introduced thing will not. I see a move towards infantry based maneuvre squads with heavy drone and portable anti armour assets. Artillery assets will be heavily realigned for the high mobility role with heavy investment in new tech. Command and control will also be adapted to the new role of firefighter control so the UK land forces effectively become flank guard to whichever force they are attached to. As far as being a viable independent mobile force? Gone, this will no longer be possible.

Welcome to the limited future of the British army. Good news is that they may start issuing Swiss army knives and I am certain the new double pull slingshot will prove invaluable.

Last edited:

Wyvern

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score

Wyvern

Reaction score
One interesting development is that of the Type 32 frigate, which is likely going to be an enlarged Type 31, at least, for now. This future ship is set to offer new capabilites, such as acting as a drone mothership. The ship is also likely to be highly modular as well, depending on mission set. Finally, it may also offer the same capabilities that are present on the Danish Absalon-class frigate, a frigate that can be configured as a transport or hospital ship within a day, depending on mission set. If all goes to plan, the Royal Navy will certainly have an interesting future.

Hood

Staff member
Reaction score
As I mentioned was planned and highly likely a few months ago during the heated Aukus ruckus, the RN is now down to just four operational SSNs and one in refit (the last Traflagar-class).
Apparently HMS Talent's 1-year life extension was a fudge as she never left the pier the whole time and probably not capable of doing so.
Whether the last two Astutes will appear on schedule is open to question, this article has a hint of scepticism about that (which I share).

https://www.navylookout.com/hms-tal...uR7Gr4w8O8_4WARS7jQQxlIlFcXRc-hPgzsZmL2HQzqRw

zen

Reaction score
If this is a news thread it's in the wrong section.

Hood

Staff member
Reaction score
This has rather become the de facto UK defence news thread though, 90% of the posts in this thread are news reports rather than AH speculations (though there are some in-world speculations).

Maybe this thread better fits the Military section now (the German one was moved for similar reasons).

Hood

Staff member
Reaction score
HMS Echo has been reduced to low readiness and there is speculation that she may be retired early. Originally Echo and Enterprise were meant to serve on until 2028.
While a "future hydrographic vessels" are included in the National Shipbuilding Strategy, its as yet unclear what those vessels will be. Presumably the role will switch to UUVs and mothership concept like the new MCMV concepts. Whether those systems are going to be before or after 2028 is open to question however.
https://www.navylookout.com/hms-ech...GXpdqEaGHtqYdWjmu1XUXsxe83rdvGFcLSVxApTe4ijtM