Real or Not?

Is there a less dithered copy of this image? The design's name seems to be shown at the top of the right-hand column of the specification table.

That said, the rest of the copy looks like printer's 'dummy' greek (Lorem ipsum). This alone rather suggests a send-up.

You're probably right but there is the D-1928 designation on the wing and hull, and that looks real? The "article" could be false, but the plane real?

If you were citing source asking for help it would be much easier. It has designation, well. These have designations, too.

Attachments

• 1702523.jpg
    1702523.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
It doubt if it was ever built. Many companies proposed twin-Bull flying boats but few ever got beyond tow tank testing. I remember a video of a model getting violently unstable in a tow tank.
Admiral Balboa was the only successful user of twin-hulled flying boats (1930s tour to the USA).

Admiral Balboa was the only successful user of twin-hulled flying boats (1930s tour to the USA).
General Italo Balbo I guess you was meaning (Balboa is Rocky....).
He wasn't a navy admiral rather an Regia Aeronautica General, indeed he was a fiery adversary of Regia Marina and its naval aviation.

The twin-hulled "boat" you refer wasn't a boat at all rather a highly successfull airplane, the SIAI S-55X:

Last edited:
General Italo Balbo I guess you was meaning (Balboa is Rocky....).
You'd better not mess with Admiral Balboa. He has the eyes of a tiger... paaaam, paaaam, paaaam...

a Rumpler 1927 and a Rohrbach 1928 ....

Gotta love those German names. Crumpler doesn't sound all too appropriate a name for an aircraft, imagine if it crumples in flight. As for Rohrbach - reminds me of the psychotic vigilante from Watchmen (named after the ink blot test used by shrinks).

So far I know , it's not a Rohrbach : for me , it could be related with a Rumpler ...

The drawings are from 'Die Deutschen Flugboote'. Apparently the design dated from 1925 but funds could not be raised in Germany to build it. There was a proposal in 1930 to construct it in USA, but the fallout from the financial crash ended any further plans.

You're probably right but there is the D-1928 designation on the wing and hull, and that looks real? The "article" could be false, but the plane real?

D-1928 was indeed a real registration in the old German numbered system. But D-1928 was first assigned to a 1930 BFW M.20b airliner (wk.nr. 442, 'Rheinpfalz' of DLH) which crashed 14 April 1931.

I suspect that the 'D-1928' on your illustration was simply an artistic reference to an anticipated date of service.