Putnam books

Nick Sumner

Live! From the Belly of the Beast!
Reaction score
Does anyone know what happened to Putnam Books? Been looking on the internet and they seemed to have disappeared.

Putnam's ran into money trouble and the line got sold off and moved around several times, and the last publisher who had the whole line refused to reprint or add new titles. Some titles have been sold off to Fonthill Media and have been reprinted, but most titles are still off the market. Check used book sites for copies, which in some cases may be extravagantly priced.

Thanks gatoraptor, I'm not actually looking to buy I'm trying to find out the provenance of a picture published in one of their books.

Quick look on Bookfinder - Hugh W. Cowin has written plenty of books but Vought Aircraft Since 1917 is not listed among them.

I've started also with a look on bookfinder.com. Moreover no library in UK oder here in Germany hold this title.
Maybe the book was planned, but never released 613412 ? One of his books on Junkers monoplanes was published in 1967 - possibly he died before the Vought book was completed ...

I've started also with a look on bookfinder.com. Moreover no library in UK oder here in Germany hold this title.
Maybe the book was planned, but never released View attachment 613412 ? One of his books on Junkers monoplanes was published in 1967 - possibly he died before the Vought book was completed ...
The Vought Putnam was planned for release about 2000 and allocated an ISBN, hence why it turns up on websites. It was never published, and Putnam was sold, and all planned titles were canned.

There were two Putnams that were announced but never published: the Vought Aircraft book noted above, and one on North American & Rockwell Aircraft.

I think the excellent Miles volume did not appear in reprinted format either ? although a cover mockup was shown in one of the listings