"Junkers Aircraft and Engines, 1913-1945" by Antony L. Kay

xylstra

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Does anyone have a copy of this book?
(Published 2004 by Putnam, London)

I have a copy. What would you like to know about it?

Hi Arjen, Thanks so much for the quick reply. In the section of the book dealing specifically with Junkers JUMO piston aero-engines I wanted to know if there is any description of the flight tests of the fighter experimentally equipped with BOSCH's Thyratron CDI ignition system. If so, is there a bibliographic reference that gives the source of this information and what is it?
Cheers.

No mention at all by Kay of flight tests with ignition systems. The wiki-page on Capacitor Discharge Ignition briefly mentions the fragility of the thyristors thyratrons used, which, at the time, hampered the application of CDI in aircraft engines. Wikipedia lists some sources.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_discharge_ignition#References

Last edited:
No mention at all by Kay of flight tests with ignition systems. The wiki-page on Capacitor Discharge Ignition briefly mentions the fragility of the thyristors used, which, at the time, hampered the application of CDI in aircraft engines. Wikipedia lists some sources.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_discharge_ignition#References
You probably misunderstood. A thyristor is a solid-state device whose function mimics a valve thyratron. The latter based CDI system was test flown at Rechlin in the closing stages of the war, I was just hoping to find the CIOS or Junkers test report of the test results. I'll have to cast a wider net.

Sorry about that, I conflated the later thyristor (solid state) with the tube circuitry used in Bosch Thyratron trials. Good luck with your search. Corrected in previous answer.

Last edited:
The
This book is available at this link:

Lest anyone forget, info on pages 212-213 about the Ju 287 prototypes is partly incorrect because: (1) the second Ju 287 prototype was merely a technology demonstrator like the first prototype, only differing in having the horizontal stabilizer lowered by one foot, the main wheel struts projected inwards, and the trouser pants for the nose wheels painted light gray; (2) the Ju 287 V3 and V4 were unarmed, whereas Ju 287 V5 and V6 were to be fitted with tail armament; (3) there is no evidence in Junkers documents for "Ju 287A-2" or "Ju 287B-2" designations, and the Ju 287B-1 was intended to use six Junkers Jumo 004Cs; and (4) the Ju 287 program was stopped in late September 1944 not July. It also doesn't mention that the first and second Ju 287 prototypes were blown up at Brandis by retreating German forces to avoid falling into Allied hands. The book does, however, take note of the EF 131, and we know from Soviet archival material and other historical documents that neither the Ju 287 V2 nor V3 ever flew in the USSR.

The volume also tacitly admits that rumors of the Ju 390 making a test flight to the vicinity of New York were pure fantasy.