Looking for a photograph

Nick Sumner

Live! From the Belly of the Beast!
Reaction score
I'm trying to find out from whom I can license the attached picture. Or if I in fact need to license it. It was printed in the Putnam German Aircraft of the Second World War by JR Smith and Antony L. Kay first published by Putnam in 1973. The photo was attributed to Franz Selinger, an Austrian writer who I believe is now deceased. The IWM have some of his photos, but they dont have this one. Putnam have changed hands so many times I doubt anyone there could help me. Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• messerschmitt-me264-amerika_7.jpg
    messerschmitt-me264-amerika_7.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 51
It appears that the rights to Putnam books has passed from Anova Books to Pavilion Books. You might want to contact Pavilion to see if they can be of assistance.

I did, they didn't know which Putnam I was asking about...

I did, they didn't know which Putnam I was asking about...

That's pretty pitiful, a publisher not even knowing about a distinguished line of books they should still have the rights to! Maybe try Fonthill Media, because they have reissued several Putnams; maybe they have the rights to the one you're looking for.

Gatoraptor, there is an American company called Putnam books. No relation to the UK company. I think that's why they were confused.

Robert Forsyth and Eddie J Creek used the same image in their MESSERSCHMITT Me 264 Amerika Bomber, Chevron Publishing (Ian Allan) 2006, page 75. They must have sorted out copyright issues.
The image also appears in William Green's Warplanes of the Second World War - Bombers and Reconnaissance Aircraft - Volume Ten, Macdonald 1968, page 180.

Gatoraptor, there is an American company called Putnam books. No relation to the UK company. I think that's why they were confused.

I believe I've seen the American publisher listed as G.P. Putnam's Sons or something along those lines. I can see the cause for confusion but the British publisher should still be able to figure out what they have rights to. Perhaps they've passed them all over to Fonthill. It would be nice if all the books could be reprinted, on demand if necessary.

It would be nice if all the books could be reprinted, on demand if necessary.
Many of the books covering UK manufacturers really show their age and could do with a thorough revision before reprinting. They are still good but would be much improved by incorporating research carried out over the past several decades.

Thanks for that Arjen, I was able to contact Robert Forsyth and Eddie J Creek and it seems that Eddie Creek has the photo. It was given to him by Franz Selinger. Just sorting out provenance and pernmissions now.