• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Piston Engine to Jet Fighter Conversions

NUSNA_Moebius

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Including the well known Russian conversions of piston fighters to jets, I wanted to see if anyone had anything on other similar conversions that could be in a nicely consolidated thread of "piston-to-jet theory." :p

Thanks!

NUSNA_Moebius

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
I was considering that, but I was more or less focusing (I guess I should've said first) on fighters, notably WW2 era fighters like the Yak-9 being converted into jets. I wasn't too sure if that really meant postwar. If there was a WW2 specific forum, I would've gone with that.

perttime

I really did change my personal text
Reaction score
What about Kyūshū J7W Shinden? Was the jet conversion just an idea, or was something more done about it?

Jemiba

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
perttime said:
What about Kyūshū J7W Shinden? Was the jet conversion just an idea, or was something more done about it?

Indeed, fits perfectly here, we had it here http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16914.msg163913.html#msg163913

This thread starts to be a jumble of pre- and post war types, projects and actually built aircraft. Nevertheless, I would
suggest to keep on here in this section. Types already dealt with can be mentioned with a link, others with description
or picture, so we should get quite a complete list in the end.

Jemiba

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
We are mainly talking about actually built types here, nevertheless, according to Jean Cuny "Les
Avions Des Combat Francais" a modification of the SNCASO SO 8000 Narval naval fighter to a
jet fighter, powered by a RR Nene engine was proposed, but rejected, as there already were three
other types of naval jet fighters under development.
(drawing based on description only, source grade 1)

Attachments

• SNCASO_SO-8010.gif
    SNCASO_SO-8010.gif
    32 KB · Views: 186