PA NG - next gen French Aircraft carrier program

Ah, so not a third but just the second relocated to the other side of the ship and moved forward a bit. Makes sense -- having them distributed like this reduces the need to launch missiles across the flight deck.

Hmm. I've had a closer look at that third Navy Lookout picture and there are clearly two VLS nests to port, for a total of three.
They look like deep Sylver VLS as well. I think there is room for Sylver A70 by the looks of it. Easy enough for the 7 metre height of them.

Makes sense for future proofing and for ballistic missile defence I guess.

They look like deep Sylver VLS as well. I think there is room for Sylver A70 by the looks of it. Easy enough for the 7 metre height of them.

Good eye. The video interview by Naval News mentions Aster 15/30 so at the very least those are Sylver A50s.

I see a comment on Reddit that the starboard nest is 16 cells, versus 8 each on the two port side ones. So, matching the total installation on CdG but possibly with longer-range SAMs

Good eye. The video interview by Naval News mentions Aster 15/30 so at the very least those are Sylver A50s.

I see a comment on Reddit that the starboard nest is 16 cells, versus 8 each on the two port side ones. So, matching the total installation on CdG but possibly with longer-range SAMs
Had a look at some video walkrounds of the model and all 3 appear to be the same length as well so no division between different cells for 15 and 30.

Compared to the height of the Rafale's on the mockup, based on the reasonable assumption that every thing is to scale, they're definitely the full fat Sylver A70.

You can bet they will build only one, unfortunately. Unless we find oil somewhere, or diamonds...

Which will be sad if that is the case, after all the research and development that has gone into the carrier and that is before they get the carrier actually built, tested and put into service.

That the main issue with being a medium power, yet wanting Kitty-hawk size, nuclear carriers.
China can afford that, the USA, too - in large numbers. India, too.
Russia once could but nowadays barely can.
All those countries are huge, with big populations and lots of resources.
This leaves France and the UK as the last medium powers wanting full size carriers. It is a pity France cannot at least build from the Q.Es, say a nuclear & CATOBAR variant of them (PA2 & CVF, how we still miss you !)

Well, port elevators are essentially useless in the modern age, so you can see there is a VLS bank there, and PA NG has two VLS banks. So the reason there is no third starboard elevator on the 300m hull is because the second VLS battery takes up the place of it, as it does the port elevator. A 330m hull might accommodate a third starboard elevator though.

Last edited:
In addition to purchasing the Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS) and Advanced Arresting Gear (AAG) for Miller, the modification awarded to General Atomics includes an effort for a “case study and developmental research in support of the potential future procurement of EMALS and AAG for the government of France.”

Back
Top Bottom