Otto projects (Jumo 222 piston engine powered aircraft)

Flitzer

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hi all, does anyone have any information/history about Otto projects.
As far as I understand it was the term for a series of high performance fighters using the Jumo 222 powerplant (?). Probably the last designs before jet engine designs dominated.

Many thanks
P

Re: Otto projects

My dear Flitzer,

do you meant AGO ?.

Please, Peter, develop what you know on this "Otto". It`s intriguing me!

hesham said:
do you meant AGO ?.

I suspect that Flitzer is using the German term Otto to distinguish later piston-engined fighter projects from the various rocket and Turbinenjäger projects.

Exactly Apophenia.
I realise the term 'Otto' refers to the Jumo 222 in some way but I think it may have been used as a group term for these late piston engine fighter designs using this engine.
Again many thanks.
Peter

Flitzer said:
Exactly Apophenia.
I realise the term 'Otto' refers to the Jumo 222 in some way but I think it may have been used as a group term for these late piston engine fighter designs using this engine.
Again many thanks.
Peter

Google 'Nikolaus Otto'. Otto engine just means any standard internal combustion engine. The term only appears towards the end of the war because up to that point every engine was an Otto engine. It becomes necessary to make the distinction when jet engines come into general use.

Some speculative stuff

Attachments

• img139.jpg
    img139.jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 280
  • img140.jpg
    img140.jpg
    491.7 KB · Views: 272
  • img141.jpg
    img141.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 258
  • img142.jpg
    img142.jpg
    551.5 KB · Views: 260
  • img143.jpg
    img143.jpg
    485.7 KB · Views: 262
  • img144.jpg
    img144.jpg
    604.7 KB · Views: 165
  • img145.jpg
    img145.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 146
Thank you newsfeskdan and Justo.
I definitely read it somewhere attached to pusher design Fw with Jumo 222, but can I find it again?

Flitzer said:
Thank you newsfeskdan and Justo.
I definitely read it somewhere attached to pusher design Fw with Jumo 222, but can I find it again?

The intro to Schick's secret project fighters book discusses the late-war problems associated with Otto engines - high development costs for only small incremental performance gains. Are you remembering that? You can find 'Otto' references in any late-war discussion of the various advanced piston engines.

Justo, great artwork, as usual. Thanks for sharing. I hate to be a spoiler but, in the second last image, the engine depicted as "Argus As 413" is actually a Daimler-Benz H-24 projected engine.