Other World War II era Packard Merlin powered aircraft?

BarnOwlLover2

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
This pertains to aircraft that were being looked at as using the Packard V-1650 as its powerplant. Of course, there were the Merlin powered P-51s, the early Merlin powered F-82s, and the P-40F/L, and the aborted XP-60s with Merlins before that program went down the radial engine route with the R-2800.

I'm also aware of the Convair XP-81 that initially few with a Merlin prior to the desired turboprop being ready, and the XP-67E Moonbat proposed fighter/recon plane with mixed piston and turbojet power (piston engines were intended to be Rolls-Royce Merlin RM 14SM, Packard V-1650-9 or -11, or two stage Allison V-1710s). And there was references to a document that in 1941 and again later that Lockheed was looking at a Merlin powered P-38.

Does anyone have any details of other projects that I didn't mention, or more details on those that I did aside from the well known P-51s, F-82s and P-40s?

Some DH Mosquito variants were powered by Packard Merlins.
Built in Canada:
- B.XX (some delivered to USAAF as F-8DH)
- B.21, T.22, FB.24, B.25, FB.26, T.27, T.29
Built in Australia:
- FB.40, PR.41, FB.42, T.43

From Appendix II, De Havilland Mosquito by Martin W Bowman, Crowood 1997.

Some DH Mosquito variants were powered by Packard Merlins.
Built in Canada:
- B.XX (some delivered to USAAF as F-8DH)
- B.21, T.22, FB.24, B.25, FB.26, T.27, T.29
Built in Australia:
- FB.40, PR.41, FB.42, T.43

From Appendix II, De Havilland Mosquito by Martin W Bowman, Crowood 1997.
Also remember that most of the Canadian production of Hurricanes, Lancasters and Mosquitos were powered by Packard-Merlin’s.

I wonder now if I should've posted this in the World War II era/early projects forum? Seeing as how I'm looking for info on unbuilt or paper projects, and it maybe getting more traction there?

Ask a moderator to move the thread. Press <Report>