hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
overscan said:
The 1979 sketch from that article that Scott reckoned he's seen before was in the 1991 AIAA article 91-3069 "Technology in the lives of an Aircraft Designer" by Irv Waaland. I think this was the first time the Northrop XST was depicted, too.

The Northrop XST;
http://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1992/1992%20-%200362.pdf

Attachments

• northropxst.jpg
    northropxst.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,611
And accuracy? When I remeber correctly, I have one, but only extracted and computed from the illustration and RCS model. I tried to obtain original 3 view from Northrop.

Tony's drawings are based on XST factory desktop model and quite accurate.

Thanks for the advise Flateric, I added a copy to my wish list too ;)

hello, is it possible to see the 3 view....

long time ago I've do this:
it's a 3d model I made to help scratchbuilding a 1/72 model kit.
I think it's totaly wrong :-\

Attachments

• northropxst01ck1.jpg
    northropxst01ck1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 421
  • northropxst172sn2.jpg
    northropxst172sn2.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 425
Today I received an unfinished 1/72 Northrop XST model from a well-placed source. This model was one of some number produced at the Northrop model shop. My plan is to clean it up (already in process) and make a mold of it, and cast a dozen or two copies of it just the way it is. Then take one of those copies and re-work it to be more detailed and accurate, and make copies of *that.*

Attachments

• IMG_0737.jpg
    IMG_0737.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0736.jpg
    IMG_0736.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 273
Looks like something to put on my want list!

Orionblamblam said:
Today I received an unfinished 1/72 Northrop XST model from a well-placed source. This model was one of some number produced at the Northrop model shop. My plan is to clean it up (already in process) and make a mold of it, and cast a dozen or two copies of it just the way it is. Then take one of those copies and re-work it to be more detailed and accurate, and make copies of *that.*

Hi,

I found those two drawings to Northrop XST in my files.

Attachments

• XST.png
    XST.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 654
  • XST-2.png
    XST-2.png
    369 KB · Views: 657
From my collection. Interesting to note that the base is a YF23 base with a new plaque. I made 10,000 YF-23's for Northrop and there were a few bases laying around I guess. Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_1099.jpg
    IMG_1099.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 732
Allyson, it shouldn't be a surprise the XST has a YF-23 base...thanks to you we had a ton of those readily available in the shop and it fit the model nicely.

Hobbes said:
10,000? Bloody hell.

Guess Northrop was going to give every one when they won the ATF fly off. Dammit... The XST though would be a delight to see if they can find it!!

any-one any idea of the seize of the northrop xst? (length, span and height) ? ::)

This is the N-327 RCS pole model. Where dose it fall in relation to the final pole model tested in the XST pole off with lockheed? What was the N number for the final pole model tested?

Attachments

• Northrop N327.jpg
    Northrop N327.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 549
For those who have read the N-327 and N-335 sections of Tony Chong's Flying Wings and Radical Things, the work on N-327 led to Northrop's final XST design. N-335 is a mystery on whether it was Northrop's internal design number for its final XST entry or possibly the design number given to the RCS pole that Northrop designed to mount both Northrop's and Lockheed's XST models.